Options

Anybody using the Renogy solar kit w/controller?

I recently ordered the Renogy 110W solar suitcase w/LED controller and I haven't set it up yet, but my head is spinning just reading the intstruction manual. I understand the connection instructions re: alligator clips to battery, MC4 connectors to unit, etc.... but all of the controls, settings, stages, and readouts on the LED Voyager Controller have me confused. Does anybody have any experience with this unit and if so, could you break it down into basic simple usage for me? I am not well versed in electrical and/or solar systems and was hoping this was a just a plug in and go sort of system... haha! Any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    AspenAspen Member Posts: 45

Correction: 100W, not 110

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Yes I have it. You don’t need to do anything to it just setup and connect to your battery. It automatically senses your battery and sends the correct charge and when battery is charged stops sending it. Mine worked great out of the box.

I did buy the Zamp connection and then cut off the alligator clips and put Mc4 ends on the wire so I could plug in to the Zamp connection on the T@G.

I also bought a 15 ft extension cable.

https://www.amazon.com/RENOGY-MC4-to-SAE-Adaptor/dp/B01N1TALFY

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Assembly-Disassembly-Crimping-Connectors/dp/B00BCWZFN2

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Solar-Panel-Cable-Connectors/dp/B017TQLLWS

https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Gauge-Black-Extension-Connector/dp/B01D7VBIRC

2017 T@G Max

• Options

@mgreen2 Great, thank you! I was hoping it would be easy enough to just connect and let it do it's thing. I was concerned about overcharging or causing a problem if I didn't set the controller properly. My 2018 T@G did not come with the Zamp port, so I think I'll just keep with the battery clips for now, but I may need the extension cable... thanks so much for the links!

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

I have a Renogy 100w system, although not the suitcase. It's plug & play, and so I expect yours would be, too. I also cut off the alligator clips and just plug into the Zamp jack. Works great and is all I need for it to be.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

I don't have it, but have been looking strongly at Renogy. They have a great website, and plenty of useful info on there about solar. I've read reviews, and it sounds like their customer support is really good. I agree with the comment that it automatically sets it to the settings you need. They know most people aren't that knowledgeable about solar equipment. I'd say if you aren't sure about your set up, call their support number. I called to ask some questions and they were very helpful. Now, if I can only get my wife to see the value in solar. She does not think it's worth the money, but I do.

• Options

Thank you, everybody! It was definitely "plug and play" as I was hoping. Quick easy set up (attached the clips to the battery) and the only thing I had to do was set my type of battery into the controller. The manual I downloaded seemed to have instructions for a different controller than the one mounted to the kit, so I was a bit confused. The Voyager controller that it came with is much easier to understand and work. I used it once to top off my battery that was maybe 80% full already and within a couple of hours it was fully charged. I did find one interesting thing.... No matter how many days I had my T@G plugged into shore power (even up to 7 days) or how many hours charging off my Subaru (6.5 hrs the longest), the battery never reached a charge above 12.4.... But with the solar panels, I got a charge up to 12.6 after a couple of hours and it's still holding at that a few days later sitting in the driveway (no load or charge on it). Now I just pray I have enough sun at my campsites to get such good results!

• Options
    edited August 2018

@rickwe818 ... If you go with Renogy, they send you a 10% discount for signing up for emails. Also, they frequently have sales and promotions (I purchased my foldable solar suitcase 100W kit through Renogy directly on Amazon Prime Day and they were offering a competitive discount bringing the original price of $294 down to $225). I have had great success with their customer service, too! Wonderful company and product so far!

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have the Renogy suitcase (100watt) and I also found that you do not need to do anything to connect to your battery. I did find that my battery was not connected to TAB Zamp connection. Simple fix, making sure you hook it up correctly. I also got the 15 foot Renogy extension cable and Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter. This avoids the need to cut off alligator clips. You may want those in the future.
    I bought some vinyl coated galvanized steel cable from Home Depot, made loops at each end and bought a lock. Running the cable through the Renogy carry handle and locking it up provides some deterrent.

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2019

I have recently installed the Rover 30a controller with bluetooth module and a flexible 180w panel that takes up a goodly portion of the roof.

I currently am just leaving the switch on that is the main electrical shut off for the camper to see what it's like to recover from a night with the fridge on ( it's got a bunch of water bottles in it right now). So far I'm impressed. The weather in northwest Indiana has been in the upper 80s with a good deal of humidity. The 2 6v batts are fully charged every morning by 10am and stay that way until 630. The controller seems robust and working well with the golf cart batteries so far.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

I almost bought that one myself earlier. I already have a 100 watt panel on my roof (factory) but I upgraded the cheap controller that came with the T@G with a mppt controller.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have the Renogy solar suitcase w/Voyager controller (100watt). The nice thing is that you do not need to do anything special to connect to your battery. I did find that my battery was not connected to TAB Zamp connection. Simple fix, making sure you hook it up correctly. I also got the 15 foot Renogy extension cable and Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter. This avoids the need to cut off alligator clips.
    I may want those in the future.
    I bought some vinyl coated galvanized steel cable from Home Depot, made loops at each end and bought a lock. Running the cable through the Renogy carry handle and locking it up provides some deterrent.
    I purchased initially from a Amazon vendor and the unit arrive with the soft case punctured. Returned and ordered directly from Renogy for the same lowest Amazon price and am assured full Renogy service and attention.
    The only issue I run into is moving the panels mid day to face the sun, the black frame sure does get hot. I use gloves or a towel now.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

The only issue I run into is moving the panels mid day to face the sun, the black frame sure does get hot. I use gloves or a towel now.

Thanks for this tip! I keep two "ove gloves" in my kitchen, so they'll come in handy for this!

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback