Options

DirecTV thru iPhone

Since my iPhone service is with ATT and my TV at home is thru DirecTV (owned by ATT), ATT gives me DirecTV streaming to my iPhone which DOES NOT count against my monthly data.

I know I can bluetooth the Jensen and my iPhone together to play music from my phone. But, is there a way to stream the video (DirecTV) from the phone, thru the Jensen, to the TV?

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks,
Greg
2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
1st TV 2015 MB GL450
2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2018

Greg,
    The short answer is yes. First, it's a good idea to not use your phone as a hotspot. I smoked up my iphone doing that. (your results may vary) I got a dedicated hotspot device and have had no problems since. They are available through all the common carriers. I got mine from Verizon for about $50 bucks and it works great. Additionally, it gets a much stronger signal.
    As to hooking up, that's a rat nest that will take some sorting out. The Jensen is something of a mystery and many of us have achieved different results. I have found the best way is to get my program (youtube is my go to entertainment) from my laptop with the usb hotspot, then port it directly into the tv with hdmi. I set up the Jensen to play audio from the tv. Whew! It's all a horse apiece. To answer your question, it's possible, but the myriad of devices necessitate everyone come up eith their own route to the mountaintop. I am getting rid of my Jensen (although I like it) and getting a cellular capable head unit with dvd player. I have a new unit in my tow vehicle and am testing it now with good results so far. The same (generic equivalent) head unit will replace my Jensen, laptop, hotspot and cabling with one unit. It will also allow me to do all the functions of my tablet. For my money, it's the best option. Stay tuned... I'm doing a thread on it...soon...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Otis_60 first is wow, I wish we would have someting like this from cellphone and comunication company.

Now, for your question, I did about like @WilliamA did, but we i got an adapter to for phone to HDMI conversion. And audio via the jensen bluetooth. But even if I did this, we never really got to use it, so it never went further than the test stage.

But I am curious as to why William busted his cell phome as a hotspot device. My cell phone as been my only data provider for me for the last 4 years, w/o missing a single beat.

And I know a guy that a while back was able to jump on an ulimited cell phone data service for 40$ a month and this is probably 6 years ago, so his cell is used for Tv, movies and name it as a hot spot. He even went as far a suplying about 10 os us at the same time while we where wating for a meeting for a few days. But Not saying that this can not be a problem. i just never got to it, since I got my I-phone 5s. And it is still going, goi........

Ah yea, the HDMI adapter was about 15$ in amazon.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Yes, you’ll need the apple digital converter. Buy the genuine apple product not a generic. It will work on either an iPhone or iPad

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM

See this video for how to use it.
    https://youtu.be/KcKemHqMwQc

2017 T@G Max

• Options

I also assume that apple TV would work? But I do not have one.

• Options
    SteveVSteveV Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2018

@LuckyJ said:
    I also assume that apple TV would work? But I do not have one.

Yes, an Apple TV would work. If you are in a location with wifi, then you can use the Apple TV as normal connected to wifi. Making your phone a hotspot (if you have that capability) would act just like having the Apple TV connected to wifi. However, last weekend I was in a location that did not have wifi, but ok cell reception. I was able to "screen mirror" my phone via Bluetooth to the Apple TV and watch programing off my phone with no problem.

Steve
    2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    Huntsville, AL

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

Thanks everyone for your input. I don’t know anything about Apple TV so that will go on to the back burner for now.

As far as the HDMI cable goes, would I be correct in assuming that after I get the adapter and hdmi cable, it plugs directly into the Jensen TV and we are bypassing the Jensen audio system. Sound will be coming from the TV and not the overhead speakers.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options

@Otis_60 said:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I don’t know anything about Apple TV so that will go on to the back burner for now.

As far as the HDMI cable goes, would I be correct in assuming that after I get the adapter and hdmi cable, it plugs directly into the Jensen TV and we are bypassing the Jensen audio system. Sound will be coming from the TV and not the overhead speakers.

You can use your trailer speaker via the jensen with the bluetooth system and get the soumd from you phone.

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

So I Bluetooth to the stereo for sound and hdmi to the tv for video. And there are no sync problems. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks all

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

The only thing I've tried so far along these lines is a firetv stick plugged into the hdmi on the Jensen TV. The Jensen TV audio out is plugged into aux1 in on the Jensen head unit. I experienced no issues with audio sync in this configuration.

• Options

@Otis_60 said:
    So I Bluetooth to the stereo for sound and hdmi to the tv for video. And there are no sync problems. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks all

Not that I remember.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@Otis_60 said:

No, if you follow the instructions in the video you will have sound from the overhead speakers. Turn the TV speakers off, plug the HDMI cable into the port on the bottom of the TV. Use the digital converter connected to your iPhone or iPad to supply the video and sound. Switch the TV to HDMI input and the Jensen receiver to Aux One input. Turn up the TV sound using the TV remote and then either remote to set the volume at whatever level you want to hear it. Don’t use Bluetooth at all.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

Don't forget to turn up the volume on your phone. After putting up with this buggy unit looking forward to an upgrade like the one @WilliamA is experimenting with. http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/429/an-interesting-radio-upgrade-perhaps#latest

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I ended up attaching my Roku player to the back of the TV with velcro, and wired the HDMI cable to the TV (unplugging the existing connection). I went with Roku because it has a USB port on it (so I can upload movies to a stick and watch them that way) and the remote uses Bluetooth instead of infrared, so the remote doesn't need a direct line of sight. I also use Amazon Prime, and Roku (although I do have Directv) advertises Directv compatibility. I hotspotted from my phone the last trip out without any issues, and the wife and I enjoyed streaming movies right in the trailer with no buffering or other issues. We have Verizon phone service. I'd suggest looking into the Roku. Appletv is great, and it DOES allow you to mirror your phone so you can do video playback that way, but I have noticed audio lag on occasion and Appletv is not as broad with apps as Roku is. And I don't think they have a BT remote.