Options

Awning

HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
edited October 2018 in Products & Accessories

About to install the Yakima two bar roof rack on my 5 wide T@G. Intent is to mount an awning and send my PahaQue 10 X 10 tent back to hell where it belongs (JK of course, but even though we are experienced with it we are tired of it kicking our behinds every time we set it up). Looking at several awning brands, and am trying to decide if the Bat Wing is worth the price (it's just so darn cool), or if I should go with ARB 2500 and ARB "enclosed room" (which is a tent that fits under the awning). Latter option is about $200 cheaper than the Bat Wing and offers more privacy if needed. There is no better teacher than experience...which, when it comes to awnings, I don't have. Anyone have some relevant thoughts you'd be willing to share?

I have read the previous Little Guy forum posts on the topic.

2014 T@G

Comments

• Options
    Geoff_AckerGeoff_Acker Member Posts: 17

I have the Yakima 6' X 6' awning on my TAG XL. We had it installed as an add on at the factory during the build. I will say that it is a really nice awning. It's simple and to the point, easy to unroll, set up and roll back up. But now that we have used it twice we are actually thinking about switching to the ARB 8' x 8' that has the 4 wall enclosed privacy room. 6x6 for an awning is just on the small side of the scale and yakima doesn't have any add on options for enclosed rooms. The ARB 6'6" x 8' only has the 3 wall or the screen room add on option, not the 4 wall enclosed room. So if I were to start from scratch, I would absolutely invest in the 8x8 ARB, then buy the 4 wall privacy room to go with it. Youtube reviews have nothing but good things to say about the 8x8 ARB awning with the 4 wall privacy tent.

2019 T@G XL

• Options

Thanks Geoff...just the type of info I was seeking.

2014 T@G

• Options
    FishermanandyFishermanandy Member Posts: 4

We have The T@G 5 Wide Outback with the Yakima round bars. We purchased the ARB 2500 awning from 4wheel Drive Hardware through Amazon. Their customer service is great as we had a problem with damage to the awning when we received it. A call to 4Wheel Drive and they sent a replacement. FYI ARB would of replaced the awning too. Also purchased the ARB OS850 awning brackets, Yakima snap round/square attachments and stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers. Also the ARB 813108A Awning Room (Tent). Shop around prices change often.

• Options
    edited October 2018

I have spent some time looking at the OS850's and the snap around/square attachments on line and I just can't see how they would go together. I can see the snap around on the bar, but how does the os850 fasten to them? As you look at the end of the round bar, does the snap around project left or right, say at 3 o'clock and then the OS850 sits on top with a bolt through the square hole in the snap around? In doing so you avoid drilling holes through the round bars, right?

BTW, I ordered the ARB 2500X2500 awning and tent that fits under it. Should arrive this week and then I can figure out how to mount it to the round bars.

2014 T@G

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@HellFish said:
    I have spent some time looking at the OS850's and the snap around/square attachments on line and I just can't see how they would go together. I can see the snap around on the bar, but how does the os850 fasten to them? As you look at the end of the round bar, does the snap around project left or right, say at 3 o'clock and then the OS850 sits on top with a bolt through the square hole in the snap around? In doing so you avoid drilling holes through the round bars, right?

BTW, I ordered the ARB 2500X2500 awning and tent that fits under it. Should arrive this week and then I can figure out how to mount it to the round bars.

Post some pictures if you get it to work

2017 T@G Max