Options

T@G Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but has some questions about the T@G trailer. I am interested in the T@G Max XL trailer but have heard from others about leaking through the doors and soaking their mattress and also the windows leak as the seals give way plus the fantastic fan could leak. I wanted to see if this was a big problem or is there something I could do if I bought a new one to reinforce the seals so this will not happen? Also is this a common problem that happens a lot and dealers dont seem to fix the problem? Like I said this is only hearsay and I wanted to hear from all of you who own a T@G trailer or from company spokesman about these trailers. I think they look so great and a awesome way to camp. But just had a fear hearing things like I mentioned before I would take the leap of faith and purchase one of these. Thanks for all your advice !

Chris

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396
    edited September 2017

I have a max xl and it has rained every trip we made this year, some real downpours too, and I can say that it has not leaked even once. From what I have seen these issues seem to be one off problems and not a common issue or design flaw through out the product line. If it were, I would expect a whole lot more complaints then the relatively few I have seen.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

I have a 2017 T@G Max and have had no problems with leaks. The windows have 4 latches which if used give a good seal to the gasket. The door also has a gasket all the way around it.

The AC condensation can back up and leak onto the mattress if you don't have the trailer setup correctly. If you follow the instructions there is no problem and it drains thru the line under the trailer.

The fantastic fan should not leak if closed but if you have it open rain could come in. It is basically open at the top with a dome cover that tilts up/down on one side. They make rain covers for it that can be added if you want to keep it open in the rain. It is not designed to be left open when travelling.

Like any travel trailer water leaks can happen due to the vibration caused by driving over roads, etc. Things get loose and sometimes require maintenance. This is probably the most common issue with any brand trailer and if you are buying used the main problem to look for.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    TomTom Member Posts: 4

Creed 227,

Looks like you are getting similar answers to the question you asked on Sept 2 on another forum.
    Tom

• Options
    Creed227Creed227 Member Posts: 5

Thank you all , I truly appreciate and I feel better about this trailer. I really do love the T@G Max XL and I believe this will be my choice. Thanks you all again

Chris

• Options
    BrianBrian Member Posts: 26

We also have a 2017 T@G Max XL and have had no problems with leaking doors or windows. The one time water got inside the trailer was when I was connected to city water and did not tighten the hose connection enough (operator error, not trailer defect). As for the Fantastic Vent fan, we have had no leaks there either. I did do the fan upgrade that you can read about on the Little Guy forum and highly recommend that upgrade. Not only will it save you on power consumption, it includes a moisture sensor that will automatically close the cover if it rains. It was a real lifesaver for us when a sudden downpour blew up while we were out on the lake in a boat. Even though we had left the vent open, it closed up tight before any water got in the trailer. Our trailer is really well built and we love it.

Brian & Lisa
    North Georgia
    2017 T@G Max XL / 2011 Kia Sorento

• Options
    Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Member Posts: 17

I thought we did but it turns out I "half hitched" one of the side windows one night and got water in the side from a storm. It is where you can lock the window with a gap for air ventilation. Other than that mishap, no leaks. Condensation from sleeping in it with all windows closed tight but no leaks. So far we're happy campers.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I have a 2015 T@G Max and have had zero issues with leaks despite camping in some ridiculous rain this year. I do recommend a vent cover for the fantastic fan, though. It's nice to be able to run the fan when it's pouring out.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

No leakage issues here, either (knocks on wood), and it's rained on every trip this summer, including one storm in which it reportedly rained 3 inches in 2 hours with huge winds. Except for storms with horizontal rain, we usually leave the side windows open for ventilation, with no problems. Very well designed and built trailer.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

@SueBHunny said:
    I have a 2015 T@G Max and have had zero issues with leaks despite camping in some ridiculous rain this year. I do recommend a vent cover for the fantastic fan, though. It's nice to be able to run the fan when it's pouring out.

I agree.... You definitely will find out what it's all about when the rain pours and you are without a cover over your vent! I like the Aeroflo vent covers and have installed two of them on trailers I've owned. Nothing better than to be able to keep the vent open in heavy rain and when it gets hot and humid outdoors.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

no problem with leaks in our T@G Max XL...although I've learned not to leave your door open during a rain storm trying to scurry to put some things inside the T@G...of course I was using my side...rain collected on the door and slid down onto my side of the mattress...was dry by the next stop since it does heat up inside with the sun's rays...lesson learned...use hubby's door!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited October 2017

I have a Paha Que' XLT 10 x 10 canopy that eliminates those types of issues. With a canopy off to the side or using the rain fly you eliminate the wet head issue and it does provide some shelter when exiting the trailer during times of rain. These are awesome canopies and can be used on the T@G or T@B models. I refuse to sell mine as they come in handy for family gatherings, etc.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BoydBoyd Member Posts: 10

We have a 2017 Tag Max. Just finished a 13500 mile trip. Had a lot rain during the trip. Only once did the pasenger door leak a little at the bottom. Found that the rubber seal had slipped down a little not letting it seal proberly. Fixed that and no more leaks. Also need to mention we were driving on the outskerts of a tornado with major wind and rain. All worked fine though. Great trip.

• Options
    Creed227Creed227 Member Posts: 5

Thank you for all your comments. One more question for all of you. I was looking at a towing vehicle that can tow 2000 lbs. is that enough to tow a Tag Max GL ? Or will I need a vehicle that tows more ? How much does a Tag Max actually weigh with tongue weight and lip and battery and everything ? Thanks again all