Options

Front shades very difficult to move

JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Has anyone else had this problem: both the bug shade and privacy screen on the front stargazer window on out 2018 T@G XL Outback are extremely hard to move up and down. Our dealer told us that this is due to the felt on the inside of the tracks and that it will get smoother. Is he correct?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

they are a little hard to open and close. Strongly recomend to use 2 hands and pull evenly with both, up or down.

But they could be to hard, the ropes could be stuck. But not easy to compare from a forum post. Try to find a friend also owner ao a T@G with stargazer wimdow.

• Options

Thanks LuckyJ. Compared to the side windows, the front shade is extremely difficult to move. I have to lay down and push upward with both hands to get the privacy screen to move up. The cords do seem really tight compared to the side window shades. Also, the side window shades have a little play left to right in them, but the front window shades have zero play...they are very tight in their frame. I do know one person locally with a T@G so I'll have to ask him, too. Anyone else have shades which are really hard to move? If so, were you able to loosen them somehow?

• Options
    Geoff_AckerGeoff_Acker Member Posts: 17

I have a 2019 TAG XL and the stargazer window shade/screen is very difficult to move. Due to to the side sweeps that were introduced probably in your model year. It is what it is, unless you wear out the sweeps, I don't see opening and closing the shade becoming any easier. It will always be a two handed job. I'd much rather have the sweeps than not have the sweep though. I have spoken to a few TAG owners of older models and they say that the gaps between the screens and the widows frame are a big problem and bugs can easily enter their camper unless they shove foam into the gap. I'm really happy Nucamp introduced the sweeps before I bought my camper.

2019 T@G XL

• Options

Thanks Geoff! Good to know that it isn't just ours. The side sweeps seem like a good idea to keep the bugs out. It just seems like there wasn't allowance made for the extra thickness of adding the sweeps - seems like the whole frame needs to be a tiny bit wider or the blinds a tiny bit narrower. I wonder if a felt tape or something similar that is less thick would work.

Has anyone taken their blinds apart? Both of our side window privacy screens are missing the tabs that lock to the bug screen - the dealer is ordering new ones to replace the old ones. I'm wondering if it is worth me driving the trailer back 150 miles to the dealer or having them ship the blinds to me and I try to replace them. Not sure how hard of a job that would be. Thoughts?

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I did not take mine appart, even if I now have two in stock of the stargazer type (when our broke, Since my dealer was closed for winter, I called new camp, and they sent one my way, that did not have the right curve. So they sent me an other one, and they didn't wanted to wrong one back, neither the broken one. But I am not typically throwing stuff away, so now, they are taking up space.

Btw, thet only have four screws, one on each corner.

Easy to remove and installed. But I did not took the mechanisme appart. But I will, since I have two for pratice. ;)

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

ours are a little tight...yes two hands are required...I also only move the shade or the screen...not together...the side sweeps were introduced in 2017 which is approximately when the stargazer was introduced...for those of us with oder models you can get the sweeps for the side window...email Elsie at nuCamp...they do make a difference with the bug issue...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

Thanks for the comments ontheroad. Upon further inspection, I found that on one side of the window the curvature of the blind doesn't match the curvature of the inside of the trailer well and there is about a half inch gap between the blind frame and the wall...that'll let a few bugs in. The dealer has ordered a new blind to replace this one. I suspect that part of the problem with moving the blinds is due to it possibly being bent.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

I know that they have changed the arch of the stargazer as lucky j mentioned above...the curve of the trailer used to be wrapped in the interior inside material...it's now the wood...must make it easier to match to the window shade now

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    LindinLindin Member Posts: 2

just brought home 2019 boondock edge the cords for the star gazer window blind and screen go slack and want to get caught in the travel of the screen or shade. is there a channel they should ride in

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I carry one of them electric tennis racket style bug zappers in my T@B, so any bug that infiltrates the trailer and thinks he’s going to take over late at night is dead meat!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Michigan_Mike said:
    I carry one of them electric tennis racket style bug zappers in my T@B, so any bug that infiltrates the trailer and thinks he’s going to take over late at night is dead meat!

I don't dare have any bug-weapons on board. With either of my 2 boys in there, it'd be like sleeping in a racquetball court. I'd have to wear a motorcycle helmet to bed.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.