Options

Best Heater Ideas for 2017 T@G

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I got a 12v heater like they have in cars/trucks and installed it in the side of the headrest with a switch and some metal venting to a round register on both sides of the headboard.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Hi @Brent, please introduce yourself and tell us about your experience with Propex.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    BrentBrent Member Posts: 5

Second time out we froze our @$$s off. Over the winter the Propex was the only non-deadly option I found. Just happens all the heat is delivered to my wife's feet (conveniently). BTW installation cost more than the unit.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I'm in Texas so I wont need much. I bought a "Lasko 101 My Heat" to use when I'm plugged into shore power. That should take the chill out of the air before bedtime. I also bought a little 12v heater to use when boondocking. But it draws 12.5 amps so I wont be using that (I dont know what I was thinking). I do have the electric blanket on my wish list. That will probably be the better and safer solution.

I'm also considering a Mr. Heater Buddy. I can use that outside and put it inside just to warm things up before going to bed as long as its on a firm surface.

The Propex is the most awesome system I have seen. But alas, that price tag!

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have use a Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy propane heater. Just use it in the early morning to take the chill off before getting up and dressing. Works fine for solo camping, but with two, I would think it could become a placement issue. Does a good job. Have thought about also using it outside in my 6x6 Clam Quick Set Shelter. (with sides installed) I refill the 1lb propane canisters myself. I had thought about the smaller Little Buddy, but the tip-over factor with the Little Buddy was too much of a negative.

• Options
    ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17

This past weekend, I used for the first time the Lasko 754200 portable heater with adjustable thermostat. Being in Texas, temps only got down to 38 deg F and the heater worked great. The unit was kept at its lowest setting and the thermostat worked great and would not consider a heater without one. Someone else made a post about how they constructed a hanging shelf off the cabinet doors and I built something similar, worked great.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

ssimonson, can you post a picture of your hanging setup?

• Options
    ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17

I built a temporary diving board to support my heater. There is a piece of wood wedged between the temporary shelf (diving board) and the cabinet middle shelf placed in the back. I do plan to make something nice but this worked in a pinch. I also plugged the heater into the AC outlet due to being a hight amp rating.

• Options

I like your shelf. I wonder if I could set up one for my Little Buddy heater. I like the idea of no needed holes. Thanks!

• Options
    edited November 2019

Cool idea. I keep clothes in that cabinet, however. Seems as if that may be a fire danger.

I was wondering about the Little Buddy heater as well.

• Options

I double checked the dimensions of my Mr. Heater Portable Buddy (13.5"W x 13.5"H x 8.25"D) and measured the opening of the shelves next to the AC. Opening of the door is 13.5"W (Restricted from full opening by handle on door and window frame. Height from bottom shelf to ceiling 17"H. Depth of shelf 6.5"D.

• Bottom line, not an ideal fit.
      Utilizing an add-on shelf like I installed could be a potential, but would need a lot of adjustments and safety features. (Not a great plan)

Ok maybe I am over thinking this one. I have only found the need to use my heater for one solo trip, so maybe the status quo is just fine for my boondocking trips.

• Get a little electric heater as ssimonson did when camping with my wife using shore power.

• Options

Looks like you would need to replace the door handles with something that does stick out as far.

But, I agree with your bigger point. If I camp in the cold it will have to be by myself. My wife is not going to go cold weather camping. She told me no matter how warm it is inside, its still cold outside. I cant argue against that.

So, I have a small heater that sits on the headboard just fine. That will be enough to take the chill off.

• Options

Ran across this YouTube regarding safety testing of the Little Buddy Heater.
    Thought it addressed some safety concerns per Llenarch Fire Company, PA.
    Bottom line, appears safe and gave me a little more confidence.
    I always would use with windows cracked open and on a stable surface.
    Not always easy to come by in a two person setup of a 2018 T@G.
    For boondocking, the Little Buddy Heater has met my needs.
    Normally do not run for more than 20-30 minutes. No need for more.

https://youtu.be/XVsfXuq1KFA

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

We love our Mr. Heater; however, the T@G carbon monoxide detector is very sensitive to even it.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options

My detector does not sense an issue. Again 20-30 min. max with widow cracked open, along with top vent.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

I know of folks with big trailers that use the big buddy with a quick connect to propane source outside. Some just use the bottle within the unit. As mentioned one just needs to be aware of proper ventilation. I installed/built in a Wave 6 heater in our Avion. Connected to the stock furnaces supply from under the trailer. The same safety applies. Low level vent and higher . Including the roof vent.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76

Here's another take on a simple shelf to hold a 12V/250W heater. Without shore power, we use a 300WH portable battery bank to run it for just 10 minutes of so to warm up the cabin on a cold night or morning. It slips into place by tilting the shelf outwards and to the left to get the "ears" between the cabinet handles.