Options

A (sort of) good article on trailer weight and towing

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I ran across this article on one of my other (Wrangler Forum) forums and thought I'd share the misery. The writer does a pretty crappy job of dumbing down the physics and his bullet points don't align with his writing, but there's good stuff in there for anyone willing to sift it out.
The gist is how the dynamics of load, length, overhang and tongue weight all relate to safe towing speed. Most of the hard science we've been discussing recently like static vs dynamic force, inertia etc are in here. I particularly liked the diagrams.
I applaud his efforts if not the hackneyed delivery. Good luck...

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Thanks, WilliamA. Interesting read.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Good find WilliamA

I have read that text before. And I am not going to criticised how it is written. But I will comment on the observation that class of driver liscence do indeed varies in europe base on years of experience of the driver and specific about driving like towing.

It is also a fact about motorcycle, were you will be allowed to reach the biggest engine displacement motorcycle after a few years of driving. Co pare to north america, as soon as you can get a drivers liscence, there is hardly any limits to what you can drive (passenger cars/trucks and motorcycle).

Unfortunatly, here in north america, we will see many inexperience driver in towing, si ply go for the biggest trailer or TV, head out for the street and towing at tye speed the use to drive with a sport car, simply cause they got the biggest TV they could purchase and think that they are now able to tow like they would drive a sport car, simply cause the TV as enought power to do it.

We have to remember that reckless driving is also a liability issue that could not be coverd by their inssurance company.