Options

USB charging ports fail... 2 trips out...

Brand new 2018 T@G. Taken it out on a couple of trips. Trying things out... disappointed USB charging station ports have ALL FAILED. I think my problem starts when I plug in a Anker 10000 mah battery. Anyways, i want functioning USB ports. What I have to do?

Comments

• Options
    tdillonstdillons Member Posts: 9

Purchased 2018 Outback. The USB ports on the front left of the trailer not only don't charge but they drain the device battery. Any help out three?

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

If your 2018 is still under warranty, contact your dealer or NuCamp. The outlets have been known to fail and I have read where NuCamp has sent out replacement items(s).
    May want to try your phone or some other item with a different cord to be sure that the ports have failed.
    Have you determined if the 12-volt power outlet is functioning? - Have your checked the fuses?

I when ahead and purchased from Amazon a replacement wall mount with 2 USB charging ports and a 12-volt power outlet for $27.99
    I had intended to replace the rear galley outlet, but for the time being have delayed the install due to the very small power draw that the USB charging ports would pull even when not charging. When Boondocking, everything counts. For the rear it would have been a simple two wire changeout. I would have needed to make the hole slightly larger.
    Below is a YouTube link of an install.
    Good Luck.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I don't think I've used my USBs while on battery power. I need to check them out. I too have the Anker 10,000mah and they suggest having at least a 2.4amp charging outlet. But you do have an odd problem. Keep us posted.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

My USB outlets failed almost immediately. I've decided my best option is to just live without them.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

All mine work. But an interesting observation.

I have a small voltage meter plugged into the DC outlet. When I plugged my phone in the top USB port, the phone charged. When I plugged the phone into the bottom USB port, the phone did not charge. I removed the voltage meter, plugged the phone back into the bottom USB port and the phone began charging.

I really don't need the voltage meters anyway. They are just battery drainers. I have a good one that I have connected directly to the battery.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2019

As noted, the USB ports out there are notorious for failing and unless they are rated for higher amps or constructed heavier you are likely to see them fail from time to time when charging smart phones or similar type devices. I've changed them out too and agree that it's frustrating. Another alternative is to use the cigarette style plug and use the round plug-in style USB adapters. And correct, anything with an LED light or some of these USB devices do create parasitic drain that will deplete your battery over the course of a few days, etc. It's always best to use the disconnect switch to isolate the battery and eliminate this type of voltage loss.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2019

New guy here. Left the battery on line over night, second night, battery dead. LOL Purchased 2017 T@G XL 6 days ago.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Maybe it was the original battery. Deep cycle (Lead Acid) batteries typically have a shorter lifespan than regular auto. If it was the original, it would be near replacement time. I replaced my 2018 about 7 months ago, although I still have the original battery in my garage and keep it maintained with slow trickle charger.(for what it is worth)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 637

@GigHarborTom, you just don’t know how the previous owner maintained the battery. What kind of battery? Lead acid, deep cycle, AGM? Brand?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Also was it fully charged?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Not my first Rodeo. Just thought it was funny. Pretty sure he did not maintain things since new. We asked and he had not greased bearings. I just came in from doing that. Think I spent more time replacing the boot over the zirk than the rest of the chore.....now I need to see what Starbuck the pup wants.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature