Options

Roof fan cover

Has anyone put a cover over their roof vent fan, so we can use it in the rain? If so, what brand did you use? My TAG is in storage, so I can't measure the outside cover, does anyone know the width and length of the cover?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I am curious, did you try it in the rain ?

We did, and maybe we were lucky with wind direction (or lack off wind) but we never had any issues. We were in Orlando last august, and the vent was half open for 8 days staight and never had a single drop of water in even with mid afternoon thunder strom.

But maybe like I said, we were lucky.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I don't use one either. Have had no problems.
    I believe the size I'd 14x14...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

We just bought the TAG in Nov, so I have not tried it in the rain. From what your experience is, I may not need one.

• Options

@BlueTAG said:
    We just bought the TAG in Nov, so I have not tried it in the rain. From what your experience is, I may not need one.

Just remember, just because we have never needed it si far, does not mean that we might not have a surprise when we get back to our trailer after a rainy day. Bit you will notice that their is a way to open the hatch enough that it still protect the opening.

Youve just got it, so it must be torture to way to take it out. Even just not having it in your field of view must be something. Lol

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

My SS was in a particularly quick and violent hail, thunder, and lightning storm in Zion National Park while I was out away from the SS. My roof vent cover was open about 1/2 way. After getting back and assessing the situation it turned out no water intrusion into the sanctuary occurred from the vent. Luck or design I don’t know. I only know I had a positive outcome =)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

We bought a maxxair and love it...picked it up at an RV show...we even travel with the roof vent slightly open...great to open up the trailer and not be hit with the heat...and we've enjoyed sitting inside through many rainstorms

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2018

Bought one of these at Wally World for 25 bucks or so and installed it before there was a chance of any water infiltration and it has worked well. A secondary benefit, in the summer it allows me to keep the vent open when traveling. With the side windows in the notch position, there is enough airflow that the camper is much cooler and fresher when we stop. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-40443-RV-Roof-Vent-Cover-Black/29764343
    It took me a bit at first but I actually like the way it looks.

• Options

Side note...I love the design lines on my SS and can’t imagine a pregnant bump cover on the roof. Especially if it is unnecessary.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

I only want to bring something up. Is that if you travel in a dusty environment. I did once, just slightly open, not even on purpose, and it sucked air air dust by any hole that was available.

When I looked by a window, and even after a moment, the dust cloud was still floating inside the trailer. And it is not a vent cover that would have prevented this.

Not a good souvenir but a lesson learned. Lol

• Options

Yes.. dust will absolutely be a problem with a partially open vent.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2018

Now that I've dissed vent covers, I should also say that I replaced the stock vent lid with a much stronger, more rigid polycarbonate lid. I don't know the brand as I got it in the dumpster-dive seconds pile at an RV place. The rigid one stays put, open or closed, and doesn't sag when it gets hot like the stocker did. The new one also stays closed when I close it and doesn't need to be locked. I think I paid $15 bucks for it.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229
    edited December 2018

I’ve got the aeroflo and made it through some hellacious storms with the cover open. That said it restricts the maximum vent cover opening fully up and kept me out of one garage (total height was too tall for the garage door opening and it appears to be one of the shortest ones on the market). Still fits in my garage well but I need to crank the toungue as low as possible.

Funny summer. It rained hard (and a lot) every time we were out. Really glad to be out of the tent!

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

@Fourman110 we simply remove our cover to put our T@G in the garage...beginning and end of the season. :)

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I’ve installed a couple of the Aeroflo covers and had one installed on my new T@B 400. The other vent covers are okay I suppose but the big boxy look isn’t for me as I prefer the more aerodynamic look on these trailers. As noted, the Aeroflo lid can be easily removed for cleaning via some screws and the roof vent covers allow you to crack the vent open and leave it in that position without fear of the cover being raised when wind hits it. This happened to me in a storage facility down in Venice, Fla.

This is a personal decision no doubt as we all have our intents. But as noted, they are great in the rain and no more sitting in a steamy trailer when the rain and humidity are in abundance! =)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

I am wondering if I can just buy a vent cover and put it up on top of the T@G when rain is expected. Just putting it over the vent and removing it before we leave the campsite. Has anyone done that? The one I am looking at is a Camco with measurements of 18.44 x 18.69 x 9.50 Inches. Will that one fit over top of existing cover?

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

We have our Camco mounted premanently and like it. You could stick it up there when it rains but it is pretty light and doubt if it would stay in any wind unless it was secured somehow. We got these suction cups that work very well on the T@G shell so you could bungee it down. But if that's your plan, I've seen some folks just use a drilled out plastic storage box upside down, that would save you some bucks.
    Suction Cup Tie Downs, 6", 4 pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001803PXU?ref=yo_pop_ma_share

• Options
    Dan_AnnDan_Ann Member Posts: 36

I use a Camco roof vent cover (white). White was the most affordable option when I purchased it. Rather than permanently mounting it, I bought suction cups with wing nuts to secure the cover on top of the camper during inclement weather. Once it stops raining I will take it off and store it in the vehicle. I really do not like the look of the cover enough to keep it on all the time, so this is the best option for me.

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    SomemedicSomemedic Member Posts: 89

Which fan cover are we not supposed to use? I just saw this recently and I can't remember if it was the fantastic fan but they were quite specific. There is a lower profile tinted cover that goes over the entire assembly but it does not allow for enough air movement. And the gentleman did say that the fan would most certainly burn up in a short period of time if that cover was used. I believe it was in a YouTube video

• Options

We have a Maxxair vent cover...I will say we installed mainly for the inconveniences of rain...there definitely is a restricted airflow compared to not having one...we also like that we can travel with the vent slightly ajar while driving...the trailer can be quite stuffy inside . Nice to have some fresh air inside...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

I'm with @ontheroad . I added a Maxxair cover. It was easy to install myself, and it's been a godsend. I'm in Pennsylvania and 2018 brought the rainiest year the Commonwealth has ever had. But with our canopies and the vent cover we were always comfy. Bonus: even with the cover our T@G still fits into our one-car garage.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback