Why I traded my Little Guy for a T@g...

I've been mulling over the pro's and cons since I traded my LG 5 wide for a Tag XL. Given my personal penchant for vehicles, no one who knows me was too surprised. To be sure, I loved my Little Guy and had many a satisfying adventure in that rig. I was sad to step away. In almost every way, it was the right trailer for me. But, handy as I am there were a couple of things that I couldn't fix. It wasn't the room, although the Tag feels like a barn by comparison. I like to cook and the LG kitchen just didn't work well for me. I felt the countertops were always dirty and difficult to clean. The stove was too small (btu-wise) and I wanted a larger drop-in. I was always scrambling to get pots and things as there's simply nowhere to put stuff in the LG messhall. I worked around all of that but my kids were the primary reason. I couldn't make it wider. I'm 6'5" and need to be a little crossways to fit in either of them. The extra foot of width feels like a different country when I'm sharing it with either of my boys. (DAD!!! Your in my space!!!) All of my skills couldn't fix that one. Then there were the brakes. I wanted brakes for the LG and any way I sliced it, they were gonna be $500 bucks in hardware.

I don't care for the A/C or the microwave and will probably take both out in time but I've found a fondness for the refrigerator thus far. It's proven to be handy and useful. I miss the 1 1/2 mph that the bigger trailer has cost me, but am otherwise happy with the upgrades. Now that I have reliable heat and light I find it to be a fine unit with plenty of adventure potential. I also don't mind the extra headroom of the Tag. I found myself to be pleasantly surprised they while it's a foot wider, it doesn't feel much wider on the road or in the rearview mirror. That's nice. It's heavier but the brakes make it feel more well behaved. That's a big relief.

I'm curious what others who have traded up are finding...

Will

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• memphiahnmemphiahn Member Posts: 39

My wife also love the refrigerator! Welcome!

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well in my case, I do not consider that we traded up, cause I still have my previous set-up witch is a RTT mounted on an off road trailer. I need to keep it when you explore new routes on old logging roads (public land) that are sometimes only maintained by hunters, ATV riders, or snowmobilers, fishermens and like us, overlander that are trying to connects different logging teritories. (Don't worries, roads are simply under out of controls groth)

So we purchased our T@G Max outback to travel back roads and road trips with better confort and ease of set-up. Cause we have a tendency to change place every night.

We do have the AC, that I'm not ready to remove yet, but I am thinking about it, but since we do not have the XL, we do not have the Micro W. And do not want it any way. We do have the Flat screen and blue tooth system, simply cause it was included.

So in a way, we did go up a step, but I still love my RTT and will plan a dedicated off road camping trailer from the body tub of an old YJ wrangler I still own. For the sake of the T@G :)

• StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2017

I traded up from a MyPod Max, and like you, my T@G XL feels like a BARN - but I love it. I was actually starting to get a little claustrophobic in the Pod, not to mention I gained two more rescue dogs since I had ordered it. I also love to cook outside while camping, and I quickly found that the hardest, and most time-consuming part of the MyPod setup was the kitchen. None of those worries with the T@G. However, I DO love having the microwave (great way for heating up leftovers or coffee), and the refrigerator is amazing. Here in coastal SC, if I plan to do any camping whatsoever between May and November the AC is a MUST (also had it in the Pod), and in the fall, the television is a necessity - FOOTBALL season!

While I adored my little Pod, I feel like the T@G is going to give me the freedom to go on longer, more extended trips. Hoping to head to Western NC next summer for a two-week tour of the mountains, and I'm not so sure how comfortable that would have been in the Pod.

Towing is a little different - gas mileage is not nearly as good, but then the T@G does way twice as much as the Pod did, but I feel it's a decent tradeoff, considering I don't have to pack as much "stuff" as I did when camping in the Pod. I've been towing a 20' boat for years, so neither the T@G nor the Pod were a big deal.

I did consider the T@B before finally deciding on the T@G, and have not regretted that decision either. T@B would have required modifications to my garage door, as well as dealing with grey and black water (that issue is solved with a two-room shower and potty tent and luggable loo - I can set up the shower tent close to one of the two T@G doors, making midnight potty stops closer than being at home. Although the width of the T@G made it a REALLY close fit into the garage, (two inches on each side!) I didn't have to make any major modifications to the house! I do, however, disconnect the camper and push it in by hand- don't want to mark up those pretty fenders! Gas mileage would have been even worse and would have pushed my tow vehicle to her limits as well.

All in all, I think I've found the perfect camper for me in the T@G. Only had her a month, but so far I've had one camping trip and three nights of riding out a hurricane in her, but I've got another trip planned next weekend, and several more down the road. Looking forward to them, and lovin' my T@G!

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

StellaMaris...Does she have a name?

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26

@TomD said:
    StellaMaris...Does she have a name?

Yes, her name is StellaM@ris! My name is Kim!

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• MTFLYMTFLY Member Posts: 5

I’m going to buy a 2024 Tag SE from tonies RV under 12k and looking forward to laying in it looking out the back with

the hatch open since there’s no upper wall space for the kitchen and no inside shelving other than the ledge in the front inside