Options

Cleaning Plastic Windows and Camper

Dan_AnnDan_Ann Member Posts: 36

We recently bought a used 2017 T@G Max. I read the owners manual online; however, I did not see any tips on how to clean the windows. I do not want to scratch or discolor them. Any ideas on how to clean the windows inside and out without scratching/clouding them? Also, I understand that high pressure should not be used especially on the graphics of caulked areas. What would be best to wash the camper with? Is a wax needed? Thank you in advance.

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

Comments

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Some folks recommend a wash product designed for fiberglass rv's and boats, but I just use Dawn and water on all surfaces, including window exteriors. I also use NuFinish polish/protectant, which is recommended for fiberglass.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options

Thank you very much for the ideas. I like the dawn soap with water idea for cleaning. We have plenty of that on hand. After buying it, we brought it home through a couple of thunderstorms and construction zones. We are going camping this weekend and want to clean up the windows. What do you use to dry the windows?

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

I wash mine after every trip. I dry it all using an old but clean bath towel or two. No scratches. Nuthin' fancy. The NuFinish is a once-a-year thing.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

I would not use Dawn dish soaps. Much too harsh. Use laundry detergent or car wash detergent. Not as harsh on your camper. There are products out there specifically for plastic windows, although I don't recall specific product names. Those of you with Jeeps may know this off the tops of your heads for cleaning those soft top windows. I still have my Camp Jeep bottle.

• Options
    edited October 2017

@Lightningdon said:
    I would not use Dawn dish soaps. Much too harsh. Use laundry detergent or car wash detergent. Not as harsh on your camper. There are products out there specifically for plastic windows, although I don't recall specific product names. Those of you with Jeeps may know this off the tops of your heads for cleaning those soft top windows. I still have my Camp Jeep bottle.

Thank you for the ideas Lightningdon. I also read that hot water and vinegar may be a good option for cleaning plastic windows and baby shampoo may be a good alternative for cleaning the camper to help conserve the protective coating from the manufacturer. The NuFinish polish looks promising for a finish coat.

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Plexus is what a lot of the T@B owners use...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

@ontheroad said:
    Plexus is what a lot of the T@B owners use...

Scratching, yellowing, and messy smears were my biggest concerns. This product looks like it will not only cleans but protects the plastic. I think I will give it a try. Thank you @ontheroad for another idea.

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

glad I could help Dan_Ann

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

I ended up buying the Plexus plastic cleaner. It went on/wiped off easy w/o any streaks or residue, and left the plastic clear and shiny. We went camping over the weekend, we had some rain, and some muddy roads. I cleaned the windows with Plexus a week earlier. Once the T@G was washed, all that was needed for the windows was just a quick rinse and they dried clean without spots. So far, so good!

2017 T@G

Michigan

2020 Ford Explorer SE

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Yes, Plexus is THE product for easily scratched plastic windows and windscreens. Learned this in my many years of motorcycling. Just got my new 2017 Tag home and did just that even after washing off, the windows cleaned up nicely and the rags used to clean and polish with Plexus showed a lot of residue even after the wash. So Plexus just cleaned and shined them perfectly! Get a can and make life much easier. Can probably find if not on line at motorcycle stores.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@willbingham1 said:
    Yes, Plexus is THE product for easily scratched plastic windows and windscreens. Learned this in my many years of motorcycling. Just got my new 2017 Tag home and did just that even after washing off, the windows cleaned up nicely and the rags used to clean and polish with Plexus showed a lot of residue even after the wash. So Plexus just cleaned and shined them perfectly! Get a can and make life much easier. Can probably find if not on line at motorcycle stores.

Hello @willbingham1. Iam not sure I understand.

Fisrt sentence you say that plexus is the product to easily scratched plastic windows and in the lower one, you say that plexus just shined and cleaned them perfectly. Witch is the right one. ??

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Sorry for confusion. Plexus is the product for one's T@G's plastic windows. You will find it not only polishes but deeply cleans. Always use clean clothes to avoid grinding small particles into plastic surface. Switch them out. Some use microfiber towels which you can pick up at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price. Hope this clears up previous post.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@willbingham1 much clearer! :)

Thank you! Hope I can find it in my neck of the wood!

Good day!