Options

TAG Door Leaks

Driver912Driver912 Member Posts: 6

We have a 2017 TAG Max XL. We have about 20,000 miles on it. We are in Scott’s Bluff Nebraska right now about 1/6 of the way through a 6 week journey. We have developed a serious leak around both doors. If you have been following the weather, you can understand why sleeping in a water logged trailer for 5 weeks in this part of the country now is putting a serious hurt on our vacation.

We have been through some horrific weather so far but everything was dry inside throughout it all. But we drove over a literal tank trap in the parking lot of Wendy’s in McCook Kansas which almost shook our teeth out. We then drove through snow/rain/fog/sleet to here. When we opened up our trailer, you could do the backstroke inside. Were the two events related? Who knows but I am never eating at Wendy’s again.

I cannot find the leak source for sure but the gap between the door flange and the weatherstripping seems to be greater at the top of both doors than on the sides.

Could someone with a similar model see if they have the same gap difference on the top versus the sides on the door? The caulk around the window on the door is cracked but I don’t see that as a major leak source. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

So far, we have lost a stabilizer leg to a highly crowned road in New Mexico, lost the caulk seal around the fan in a hail storm in Mississippi and had to replace the converter. This may seem extreme but that is life on the road. We love our TAG but am beginning to wonder if it can really take what the Wendy’s of the world can dish out.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hum, this is weird.

The best comparaison that you can find, is the door on the opposite side of your trailer. They should both be the same.

But did you notice if you had sheet or anything like that caught in the door. It can make all the difference.

But I would definetly not overlook those area where the seals are cracked.

An other thing, did you make sure that all your windows where fully closed, and not in the venting position?

• Options

Thanks for quick reply since we need to get on the road tomorrow am in another snow/rainstorm. Both doors had about the same size gap but then both sides are leaking about the same. Side windows on both sides tight. Will address the caulk cracks on the door windows if the weather ever gets warm enough for caulk to cure (it has to be above 50 degrees so maybe Memorial Day if we are lucky). Hard to believe hairline cracks could cause such damage. But nice to know someone is listening. Thanks again.

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Are you able to post up pics of the problem areas? That would be helpful. You could try shining a flashlight along the seams while the other is inside to try and determine if there is a gap? Also, are you sure the windows are secured and not in the venting position while traveling?

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options

Tried the flashlight and did no see anything but it was daylight. Will try again tonight. Don’t know the source but the bottom of both mattress were wet in the area of the door. Both windows were secure.

On your trailer, does there seem to be a bigger gap between the weatherstripping and the doorframe on the top of the door than on the sides?

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

My passenger side has a larger gap than the drivers. It’s not perfectly matched to the door but seals when closed. The drivers side looks even on all sides. Only other option that I can think of is to stop at a car wash and put water to the problem areas to see if you can pinpoint the intrusion location. Have one person inside the trailer while the other sprays water around the doors and windows to try and find the leak. If it were a window or the hatch fan, you’d think there would be evidence/ water stains. Have you ruled out and damage to the underside as in a puncture. You mentioned losing a stabilizer at one point.

Hope you get it sorted out.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    larry64801larry64801 Member Posts: 12

Check the frame. If you have a channel type, there was a recall at one point. It should be reinforced about under the doors at the bend.

2018 T@G XL

• Options

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030201/uploads/editor/8r/30v9cpxrajhz.pdf

This may not your problem, but would not hurt to check. I sound like something has caused the door reveal to change.

2018 T@G XL

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Sure the roof vent is closed and latched? Air movement through an open hatch can cause all kinds of water dispersion.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We had water coming up from the bottom after driving thru heavy rains because the comforter was caught between the door and frame and water wicked up it.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Drove from Scott’s Bluff to Thermopolis, WY today. We put layers of towels and plastic bags between the door and our beds just in case. Granted, we did not have the freezing rain/snow monsoon we had before but when we opened up the trailer, it was dry.

What was different? I read notes about leaving the fan vent open while driving and therefore sucking water into the trailer. I found it hard to believe that this alone could cause that much water ingress. But the fan, (covered by a vent cover) was opened when we had the leak so we made sure the fan cover was nice and tight before we left Nebraska.

Could this be the answer? I sure hope so. I am ready for some easy solutions.

If you are ever in Scott’s Bluff, go to Menard’s. It is now officially my second most favorite store on the planet.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

If that was the issue, that would be awesome. Enjoy the rest of your trip !!!!

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The kiss methode is often part of the solution as well.

Problems are sometime the addition of multiple things happening at once. Sometime, only concidence. But when looking for an answer, they all have to be seen as a possible culprit.

And yep, it could be si ple as that. I once drove a dry freshly graded gravel road, and did not close and lock the vent. After a while, I looked into my center mirror, and realized I had a dust cloud inside the TD. Vent cover was closed on the lock stricker. So it was not airtight.

Draw dust from all other opening, and it could even suck air from door seal. Would be intersting to test with someone esles T@G. I will not test it again with mine. ;)

• Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

Getting to the party a little late on this. I had the same water ingress and it turned out to be the lower door seal barely touching. I used a smoke stick and turned the fan on to blow out. One person inside one outside, we quickly found where all the air leaks were.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I chuckled when I read this as it brought back some memories of driving up the ALCAN Highway back in July 2015. We did 40 miles of some of the dustiest, dirtiest road in North America and when we found a park to camp at for the night I opened the door and found about an inch of dust inside my Silver Shadow. Talk about disappointment!!!! Lol Nonetheless I dragged all my gear out, shook everything out and did my best to clean the interior of the trail and made doggone sure the roof vent was locked down and tucked bedding in along the doors to eliminate a repeat the next day. You just improvise, adapt and overcome the best you can! 😂👍🏻

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Driver912, I hope that was it.
    Happy travels

2018 T@G XL