Options

T@G Boondock Fenders

Has anyone had issues with the fenders on the Boondock trailers?
I have a2019 T@G Boondock with both fenders, right and left, at the forward radius, have severe cracks from what appears to be from vibration. The trailer is less than a year old!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

Please contact nuCamp Warranty at: warranty@nucamprv.com or call Rachel, Ed, or Marvin at (Toll-Free) 844.823.9112 or 330-852-4811 ext. 327.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hard to say from this angle, a wider pic would help, but almost looks like it was folded and then someone tryed to bring it back. And aluminium can only be folded one way.

The problem I have with mine (flat aluminium, not checkerd) is that gravel will hit the front flat surface of the fender and will bend the metal, like it would be hit by thousand of little hammers.

Like Sharon said, contacting nucamp might be your best option.

• Options
    BBstringerBBstringer Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2019

Glad I saw this post....went to check mine...and....

Trailer is new boondocks edge owned for three months.
    My guess would be the curve in the fender was stamped out and the alloy was too brittle to take that much bending. My concern is that vibration will make it worse over time (the beer can effect) so while it doesn't seem all that terrible right now I have concerns about taking it off road.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

This seams to be happening inly on the chekerd plate fenders and not on the previous flat aluminium fenders. The variable thickness of the plate with the cherkerd patern, probably create stress fracture, depending on where the bend is on metal. Probably why it does not aprear on all the fenders.

• Options

Probably why you see so many diamond plate fenders welded to create the shape instead of stamping/rolling the edges. Contacted my dealer so we'll see. Not too worried.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I know that aluminum will crack as we experienced it years ago on the bodies of our electric line trucks when they went to aluminum storage bins, etc. These types of fenders have been around for a while and are pretty common place in the builds of both utility trailers and sports utility style trailers as Little Guy used them years back on some of their 6-wide units.

https://factoryrvsurplus.com/products/toughgrade-aluminum-diamond-plate-flat-top-fender-10-x-36-x-18?variant=19551797215301&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-01-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhdTqBRDNARIsABsOl98NDoMePCzy4XnaWniwOBqaWYhsqy1ddFcfBkFZ2zJ-NGWHmDh1WJEaArmnEALw_wcB

If the thickness of the product has grown thinner over the years via the manufacturing process then any vibration or stress (via the bend) will no doubt impact the fender on the corner radius.

I will send this on to nuCamp and make them aware of your issues as it’s probably a manufacturer issue. And you have done the right thing by contacting your dealer first and working with them on a resolution.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Great Mike, thanks for the update and concern. They’re a good company so I’m sure we’ll come up with a solution.

• Options

NuCamp informed me that they will cover your fenders and will also be looking into this situation as it’s the first they have heard regarding this fender.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I've had no problems so far on my 2019 but only have 500 miles on mine. They do worry me since they are so thin and fragile. The "Not A Step" sign made me take notice. I'll probably be out of warranty when they crack.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

There are a lot of the fenders out there and nuCamp has a supplier. I have seen these around for quite s few years and they are used on other utility type trailers. If you run into an issue down the road send me a message and I will do my best to help out.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited August 2019

Hi Mike🙂 love my fenders. Old school.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    SueJ1959SueJ1959 Member Posts: 9

I have the exact same issue on my 2019 Boondock. Sent an email, but I will call the numbers above next week.

• Options
    DinOregonDinOregon Member Posts: 12

Me too. Only one fender, the driver's side. Cracked after only a couple of thousand miles, mostly paved roads at that. I contacted the dealer (Apache Camping in Portland, Oregon) and they said they'll contact NuCamp. No pushback, good people.

• Options
    smith1051smith1051 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020

So this has happened to our 2019 Boondock Edge as well. I emailed NuCamp and cc’d my rep from the dealer. Crossing my fingers especially since I had Big Mac shipped to Oregon from Minnesota. Oh and say hi to Lila and Dewdrop as well.

• Options
    DinOregonDinOregon Member Posts: 12

One of our fenders cracked at the front bend radius as well. Nucamp sent us a replacement fender, no charge. However, as an experiment, I made a brace out of 1"-wide aluminum strap (1/8" thick), angled at both ends to fit inside the angle of the T@G fender. I installed the angled brace on the front bend on both the fender which had cracked and the (passenger-side) one which hadn't. On the cracked fender (driver-side) I also bolted an additional flat brace across angle on the edge of the fender.

We've taken the trailer on a couple of long washboard gravel roads, and so far the braces have stabilized the cracked fender (crack is no longer growing) and there is no crack starting on the other fender.

Quite possible that over time the holes I drilled to fasten the braces in place will, themselves, become the start of new cracks. Or maybe not... the front of the braced fenders is much less flexible with the braces in place.

Total length of the angled braces: 5 1/2 inches; the angled part on each end is 1 inch long, and they are fastened in place with one bolt through each angled end. Washers, locknut, and locktite.

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited September 2022

Well, the weld that was done so nicely didn't suffice. It's now cracked on the edge of the weld. Am now figuring out what to do with the fender before spraying the front leading edges with Gravel Guard which got sandblasted on the way home.
    This “stainless steel”? door is off our barbecue grill which sits outdoors most of the year. I’m assuming it’s stainless steel since it never rusts. It’s almost the perfect thickness to cut out a piece to repair the fender at the curve. Before drilling holes, I wonder if JB Weld would be up to the task of adhering a piece on the inside of the fender lip. Any thoughts?

• Options

@DinOregon said:
    One of our fenders cracked at the front bend radius as well. Nucamp sent us a replacement fender, no charge. However, as an experiment, I made a brace out of 1"-wide aluminum strap (1/8" thick), angled at both ends to fit inside the angle of the T@G fender. I installed the angled brace on the front bend on both the fender which had cracked and the (passenger-side) one which hadn't. On the cracked fender (driver-side) I also bolted an additional flat brace across angle on the edge of the fender.

We've taken the trailer on a couple of long washboard gravel roads, and so far the braces have stabilized the cracked fender (crack is no longer growing) and there is no crack starting on the other fender.

Quite possible that over time the holes I drilled to fasten the braces in place will, themselves, become the start of new cracks. Or maybe not... the front of the braced fenders is much less flexible with the braces in place.

Total length of the angled braces: 5 1/2 inches; the angled part on each end is 1 inch long, and they are fastened in place with one bolt through each angled end. Washers, locknut, and locktite.

Are you able to attach a picture? I'm having a hard time "seeing" exactly what you did.

• Options

It's about time, nuCamp. I wonder if these fender/step kits are available for owners of older T@Gs to install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o84NQnNGbNk

• Options
    Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

I really like those new fenders! That was a much needed improvement. Overall, I like the 2023 t@g. There are a few things, I feel should have been left alone. The sliding shelf my 2020 has, with the Yeti cooler, for example. I slide the cooler out and I use the top for extra kitchen counter space.

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Glad they saw my frame mounted system and incorporated it. Ignoring the problem sucked !

• Options
    drsukiedrsukie Member Posts: 47

I love the new fenders, but was left unimpressed with the other changes. Except the shelf/rack inside is nice. But it looks like to add it, they had to take away the double door cabinet and made it one-door. I took out my cooler slider to fit a BougeRV 30 qt. fridge/freezer - more room, and the weight of that thing was substantial. My TV has little budge room for weight changes, so that was a welcome weight drop.

Campers: Sue, Pippi, & ObiJuan TV: '23 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD EV... Playtoy: '20 T@G XL Boondock Edge... Home/THOW:1998 Fleetwood Bounder 32K

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

I don’t think the designers eat enough protein

• Options
    mzinny1mzinny1 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2021 Tag that I have only taken on one 3000 mile trip (last summer). I was cleaning the dust off of it after being in storage all winter and noticed both of my fenders have cracks. I contacted nuCamp and am waiting to hear back from them.

• Options
    The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 102

According to their customer service, yes. Contact your local dealer.

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)