Options

Inclement weather

BigWaveDaveBigWaveDave Member Posts: 31

I have noticed a lot of teardrop campers utilize tents, canopies, and tarps. How do you guys deal with high winds? What do you do when the weather becomes rainy? Not a lot of room to move around in a teardrop.

Comments

• Options
    ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

We just had issue with that. I have pahaque site awnings/visors and the wind tore the keder rail right off the camper. I need to find a different way to attach.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

If it's too windy you don't put all that crap up. You bought a teardrop to minimize all the non-essential stuff. If you need all that stuff, maybe a teardrop isn't a good choice for you.

2014 T@G

• Options

Good point, although it would be nice to have a small shelter for a toilet/shower.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

My wife uses a Kelty H2Go privacy shelter, which is designed to be a bathroom/changing room/shower. It has a sturdy frame, stakes and guy-outs. So far it has proven steady in winds.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    HavenwoodHavenwood Member Posts: 11

You will get a variety of responses based on experiences and expectations. For us, we are happy to hang inside our T@G and read or play games during rainy weather (we removed the T.V.). That being said, our mods have made spending rain time in the T@G a more enjoyable experience...

1) I replaced the mattresses with a folding mattress/sofa bed. This gives us a place to sit inside and more floor space to move around. It also allows grandkids to join us for games without dirtying or messing up our bed.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NB2NPTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) I modified a couple of Ozark Trail 2-Room Instant Shower/Utility Shelters from Walmart to make side tents for our T@G . They measure 7' x 3.5' x 7' high. Setups/take-downs are quick and easy

If we are boon-docking, we use the back room of one tent for a port-potty and the back room of the other for the shower. Front rooms of both tents are for extra storage, changing clothes etc. If we're not boon-docking we have that much extra room for storage. These have been extremely versatile and pretty much every trip, for one reason or another we've said, "Thank goodness we have these tents."
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/4195/#Comment_4195

In good weather, the side tents allow us to sleep with the T@G doors open at night, and just have the tent doors zipped closed. Kind of like sleeping in a tent but in a nice comfy bed. It's pretty awesome! ;-)

For us, this is just the right amount of extra space. It allows us a degree of needed privacy and a little extra breathing room but doesn't add a lot of extra gear and setup time/effort. We purchased our T@G because we like to be outdoors. We also take a minimalist approach to fine-tuning our camping challenges.

3) We've used the side tents for a number of years and they've done great through all kinds of weather, including snow and some fierce Wyoming winds. I think the reason they have stood up so well is because I have shock cords that connect them to the roof of the T@G along the top curved edge (NOT in the Keder rail) and also a set of cords that attach them to each other running across the T@G front and back.

4) When camping, we either spin our T@G around or back our tow vehicle in so the back of our SUV faces the kitchen. We then erect a small canopy over the open area. Unless it's a very heavy rain, we are able to sit within this protected area and stay dry while still enjoying being outdoors. Again, for us, we chose small (8'x8'), quick 'n easy setup, and lightweight.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1HZQ71/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this offers some solutions or sparks some ideas.

• Options

Havenwood, you're amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to address my question in such detail. I absolutely love your ideas and setup.

• Options

My pleasure. We've been at this awhile so have had time to fine-tune the experience.

BTW... just found that Camp-Inn has side tents for sale (42"x48"x6'2") that they say will work with many other teardrops. Teardrop must be between 11"-16" from the ground to the body and sidewalls must be 46"-50" tall.

Price is $358.00 for green and $403.00 for silver. You can read the setup instructions on their site.

http://www.tinycamper.com/tent/

• Options

Have you ever had a problem with the tent poles scratching that T@G body?

• Options

Nope, and they've been battered by some high winds on several occasion.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

When using our 10 x10 ez up we lower it in high winds...we don't cover the galley with it... it's separate and we can still sit under it...of course it's well staked...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I’ve owned 5 teardrop units in the last 10 years, traveled coast to coast and up to Alaska and the bottom line here is that you keep an eye to the sky and stay abreast of weather. I’ve seen the EZ up style canopies end up in a twisted heap of metal and fabric and have felt the trailer hit by wind sheer passing through, etc. The above is a great question and topic to discuss too.

Whether you use a teardrop trailer or a larger travel trailer you do need to check daily/weekly wind speed projections and protect your gear accordingly. Many campers make the mistake of getting up, stepping outside into calm weather, leaving the campsite for a day of adventure, assuming all will be well, only to return to a campsite with camping gear spread across the terrain and fabric flapping in the wind. I have always tried to err on the side of caution, dropped canopies down, stored visors and rolled up awnings in advance of high winds, rain, threatening weather, etc. Even at night when camped in remote areas out west I have broken gear down and packed it safely away in anticipation of high wind conditions and in an effort to make the next day’s departure quicker and less stressful.

This isn’t to say you cannot erect wind breaks, tents, etc. in areas that receive wind, but means that you should think things through, protect your gear and investment and err always “on the side of safety” whether you are setting up your trailer or any gear used at a campsite. You can also use the trailer as a wind break and place or erect gear opposite the prevailing winds. We were taking gusts upwards of 30 mph down in Palo Verde Canyon and my Paha Que’ 5x7 side tent never budged as I had it opposite the wind, corner guy ropes taught and rain fly strung and secured over the roof of the teardrop.

I also try to set up the trailer away from trees if inclement weather is eminent. Don’t risk your life for shade if you know you have an approaching weather system and leave yourself an out, leave the area and find a structure or building in campgrounds to stay safe when severe storms are approaching. Stay to the high ground, avoid wash areas and move to safe areas when weather approaches. Carry a portable NOAA weather radio onboard and stay alert. I was coming into Colorado many years ago when a flash flood roared down through Big Thompson Canyon just outside Loveland, CO with a 20’ foot wall of water, taking campers intents, RV’s, sweeping motels off their foundations and claiming 143 lives. I wasn’t in the canyon but vividly recall news accounts of what took place, the sheriff who lost his life trying to alert people to get them out, etc. and keep that event in mind when camping to this day as it could happen anywhere.

I was returning from the west in late April this year towing our T@B 400 and drove 100 miles due NW and well off course to avoid a large and approaching weather system coming into the Dallas/Fort Worth area and dropping golf ball size hail. On the way out I drove further east and away from Oklahoma City to miss an ice storm and about 5-6” of wet, heavy snow.

There are things you can do to protect yourself, family members, your trailer, gear, etc. and if you plan ahead, think things through, are proactive, alert and remain calm you can stay safe if you err on the side if safety when traveling and hundreds of miles from home. If your smart phone or laptop can be utilized use the weather/travel apps, Google traffic, Doppler radar, the weather channel, etc. and plan and travel accordingly. Ask your campground hosts where the designated shelters are at, be proactive, protect yourself at all costs and stay safe! 👍🏻

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Michigan_Mike, Thank you so much for taking the time to educate and protect all who read this. You have some very interesting insight and experiences to share. I appreciate your willingness to help the rest of us. Continued happy and safe travels to you.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited July 2019

Thanks Dave! One other valuable lesson I learned while driving through Texas was to do as the locals do. One day we were traveling in a small town and the wind picked up suddenly. I saw vehicles diving into a truck stop gas station and realized a large storm cell was coming at us and that hail was eminent. We turned into the station too and there was just enough room to get my vehicle and trailer beneath the canopy and we were able to avoid getting pelted with the large hail passing through the area. It’s amazing how many vehicles will fit under a canopy and it’s pure grid lock until things go back to normal. 😂👍🏻

Once you see a vehicle that has sustained hail damage the light goes on and you do your best to avoid it. We have used car wash bays too during storms and it becomes routine in your thinking when weather rolls in.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Good tip! My wife and I saw a bunch of hail damaged cars when we visited Colorado Springs, and it wasn't a pretty sight.