Options

Solar Panel Pairing

Question to the group is about my solar panel set up. I have mounted an aluminum tongue box and added a 50 watt solar panel to its top with the capability to tilt up yet stay mounted. Its controller is mounted inside of cabin of trailer. I can also completely remove panel and place with its extra cable the panel away from tongue box location to get it out of the shade or be in full sun. I would like to add an additional panel of 50 to 100 watts set up remotely from tongue panel and use two panels together, but I read where when connecting and running them parallel through existing controller the output will be only at the highest level of the lowest common denominator (like the panel more shaded). The suggestion was to put an additional solar panel set up with its own controller feeding it directly to battery (like through the zamp plug on side of tongue box), rather than doubling up the two panels in parallel. This is so the additional panel is running its own input to the battery along with the existing panel (which would be my tongue mounted panel and controller). In other words running two systems of solar charge to the same battery with their own systems. This would allow each panel set up to input to battery its own output level. Could anyone enlighten me on how this might work best so I can maximize each panel's output from its different location without having the power decreased by simply wiring in parallel, if that is true
. Appreciate all input. Thanks. Bill

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Bill, what controller are you using?

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

10 amp PWM Renogy Wanderer. Current Renogy 50 watt panel produces 2.5 amps when at full sun. Thanks for your interest. Bill

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

@willbingham1, your plan to use a portable panel(s) with a separate controller is what TaB owners do when they have factory installed solar. It gives them the ability to park in the shade or to simply have additional solar. Also, by having a separate controller, you can use a higher watt panel, whereas, if you used a parallel system, you would need to match it to your 50 watt panel.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Bill,
    I am not an expert, but I did find usefull information on the subject in an article titled "The Secrets to Connecting Different Solar panels in Series or Parallel- The Definitive Guide". -

• https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
      The article provides a simple guide of the various connection types and the problems and benefits of connection types.
      • You can also contact Renogy support team (800-330-8678 (M-F 8am-5pm PST). My experience has shown they can be very helpful. They should be able to provide good information as to how to maximize the panel's output. You can also check out their website. After my first purchase through amazon, I found that I could have purchased directly from them (which I did) and actually got better final cost than the best on amazon. That also assures 100% of the warranty value. I found this out when needing to obtain warranty coverage from a newly purchase solar suitcase setup where the soft case was defective. Ended up needing to return back to amazon and then purchased directly from Renogy.

Best of luck. - -

• Options
    willbingham1willbingham1 Member Posts: 63

Thanks all! Very helpful and like James said go directly through Renogy for best deal and service. My Amazon solar purchase of Renogy product was short some hardware and by just chance Renogy did send it out after my phone contact but they were not obligated. It was Amazon's responsibility. Just priced solar suitcase and Renogy has better price than Amazon by far and Amazon model is leftover Older model than Renogy web site. So if I decide on solar suitcase to add to my tongue setup it will be purchased from Renogy directly. Again, thanks all Bill