Options

Newbie (here, at least)

Some of you may know me from the past, but let me introduce myself. My name is Jim Caldwell, but I go by the nickname, Mississippi Slim. I bought by Little Guy 5-Wide in late 2012 with the proceeds of my first year of drawing social security (I'm now 73 years young and still going!). One of the best buys I have ever made. I spent almost a year of research before finally pulling the trigger. Since then, I'm been to several meets with people already here, Michigan Mike, Gregorio, Verna, etc. To Payette Lake in Idaho for my first taste of white water rafting (I'm hooked!!), to Dead Horse Campground in Arizona, etc. I've been now to 12 National Parks and am heading to Death Valley in a week for a week of hiking and biking. Yes, I refuse to grow old and am still hiking at 73. I just got back in May from 5000 miles through south Texas and to Big Bend National Park. I have to go solo since I lost my dear wife 10 years ago to throat cancer. But I enjoy the travels. I'm not rich, but after being forced to work until 72 (last year) so I could actually finally retire. Not rich, but happy!!
I look forward to seeing some of you in my travels.
Mississippi Slim
One of my favorite pictures from Arches National Park a couple of years ago.

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Just retired myself. My wife has a few more years of work before she retires. We have a 5 wide T@G that we bought used. Just got back from Lake Powell (Lone Rock) and Zion. Have not gone to Death Valley for years. Went when it was hot. Remember sleeping on top of picnic table and seeing a number of flying cockroaches. Arches has always also been on of my favorites. I highly recommend Lone Rock UT when it is a bit warmer. Do have to be concerned with soft sand, but common sense works well. With my pass, it only cost me $7 a night. We have an inflatable kayak, so exploring the lake was a daily routine.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

if you go to Death Valley here are your best choices as we go there a lot. For remote camping go to Wild Rose, its a remote mountain camp in Emigrant Valley, very cool area. The main campground in Furnace Creek is big, has plug in areas and some nice shaded spots. Its not too bad and is right in the middle of things i.e. pools, golf, sights, food. North on Scotty's Castle road is Mesquite Springs campground, its near Ubehebe Crater and the road to Uereka Dunes. Beyond the obvious sights make sure you go to Ryolite ghost town and then drive Titus Canyon Road on the way back.

• Options
    MississippiSlimMississippiSlim Member Posts: 16

Thanks, new friends. I already have a reserved campsite at Furnace Creek. I'll be there from Monday evening until Saturday morning and I'll go to as many places as I can. I'll have to try Lone Rock. I still have a couple of places to go in Utah, Canyonlands, etc., but I loved Zion (actually skinny-dipped in the river there. LOL), Arches and Bryce Canyon. I'm 73 and got my senior pass as soon as I could. Not a better price anywhere for anything. Did a white water trip on the Colorado north of Arches. Loved it!!! Back of my mind has a trip down Grand Canyon, but the 3000.00 price may keep me out of it.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

out the west side of Death Valley is Lone Pine and near there are the Alabama Rocks, absolutely great free camping. Highway 395 from Tahoe to Barstow is the mother road for SoCal campers, hikers, bikers, and climbers

• Options

Yes $3,000 would keep me away from the canyon.

Another spot I find myself going multiple time is Picacho State Recreation Area. 3.75 hrs from San Diego area. 45 min on a dirt road get to main campground. About 45 min mor on a 4x4 road one gets to the last campsite. Good kayaking and fishing. Look forward to hearing about your feath valley trip.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

James...do you travel with a drone? Great pictures.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thanks and yes a DJI Mavic Pro drone. Never ever ever never fly in a state or national park.