Options

Faulty USB charging ports

Purchased 2018 Outback. The USB ports on the front left of the trailer not only don't charge but they drain the device battery. Any help out there?

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

As noted earlier, your best bet is to find a replacement with a higher amp rating as some of these are Chinese knock offs don't last long. You can find these on Amazon. An alternative is to use the cigarette style plug with a USB adapter for smart phone charging. Irregardless of what you do you will have battery drain via USB plugs, LED lights, stereo, TV, etc. Isolate your battery when not in use by turning it off and you should be fine. A battery will lose its charge over time too, so you might consider using a battery tender to keep the battery healthy and to float the charge. I use these on my lawn tractors and they eliminate a lot of problems.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I am receiving today and replacing two of my USB ports in the next few days. I am installing two switched ports with a built in volt meter. If I need more ports, I will use the suggested alternative of a cigarette style plug with a USB adapter. I was going to add dual ports and wire a separate switch to remove the draw, but after viewing reviews and assessing the costs, I selected to go the built in switch route.
    I already have the old out and waiting for the replacement. Should be an easy swap. Will need to replace connectors and may need to file the exiting plates to have a round opening. That will be very little effort. As an aside, I did contact NuCamp and made the same suggestion to replace with a generic adapter plug. I was thinking that they may have offer to send out replacements.
    -
    -