Options

Parasitic Drag (the real kind AND the kind in your mind)

HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
edited December 2019 in Camping & Travel

I originally posted this comment in response to someone else's comment concerning roof stuff and gas mileage. As I thought about it, I think that location was "off topic" from the original discussion post having to do with roof awnings, so I'll post this as a stand alone comment instead.

I decided some time ago to quit worrying about my gas mileage pulling the T@G with an Xterra. After spending thousands of dollars on the trailer, all the extra "stuff" (including the ARB and small rack on the roof), camping fees, gas, food, events, etc. I decided not to worry about the difference between 20 mpg and 17 mpg. I want to travel "carefree" as much as is possible, and I did find myself thinking about my horrible gas mileage as I traveled. Then the "epiphany"..."Why am I doing this if it causes me to worry?" MY answer (as they say, your mileage may vary) was to quit thinking about it and enjoy the ride. Just my 2 cents worth (oh my gosh, I just spent 2 more cents!).

2014 T@G

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I'm with you. I dont care about gas mileage in the least. I have a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro with a 3" lift, big tires and a rack with stuff on it. My T@G Boondock Edge has a rack, awning and a basket loaded down with chairs and tables. As long as I pass gas stations, Im golden.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Amen to that! 👍🏻

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2020

I couldn't agree more, but caution folks to "watch the diet!" These little trailers can quickly balloon up to a couple thousand pounds or more. Bring the lawn chairs strapped up top, but leave the outboard motor and anvil collection in the garage. In the event you need an anvil, leverright (a rock) works well and is generally available locally.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

So true. I have the 5 wide Boondock and dry weight is 1,443. With a GVWR of 2,200, it doesnt take much to exceed capacity.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

With my 2012 Rav4, my weight problems are both with the maximum pulling (1,500 lbs) and maximum payload (1,071 lbs) of the Rav4.
    For a trip last summer, I went through the exercise of weighing things as they went into the RAV and entered the weight on a spreadsheet. This allowed me to subtract things off to get to my desired limits.
    Kind of a pain, but now I know the weight of some basic items and can plan accordingly for future trips.