Options

Propane regulator relocation plus updates

GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
edited December 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades

I have removed the front plastic box and am scoping out my new Diamond plate 48 inch trapezoid box. Plan on continuing with the battery inside the box. Considering mounting smaller than stock propane bottle out front between box and jack upright. Going with smaller bottle. Thinking of the pancake or the eleven pound taller bottle. Any suggestion on bottle, bracket combination? Also best location for regulator? Thinking of moving stock regulator to front of box or inside.
While I prefer to minimize penetrations, I was thinking of possible clam shell like vents for battery and its cable out the back. I was going to eliminate the solar, but wifey wants to retain. No big deal there.
So far I have inspected the frame for cracks etc. Do need to shoot some Rustoleum on the axle and up under the hitch.
Greased the bearings. Cut the fingers trying to get the rubber seal replaced. Had to get down on the old cardboard and get more up close and personal. Ain't no fun for a fat old 79 year old. Found battery completely dead with very low coverage of elements. Thought I would add some distilled water, try to charge up, and see what I may have for sure. Going to replace anyway. Previous owner had the dealer remove the head board contraption. To much hassle to replace. Dena is going with a bolster of some sort. I took the bottom of the shelf and sheet rock screwed at an angle to the end edge of the bed storage box. Also screwed in some inside corner brackets of the under bed box. Mostly ideas of you all.

Appreciate any feedback.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Just watch your tongue weight. Sounds like some fun projects. Have fun and good luck.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I would consider a 10# propane tank if you are looking to gain some space and in an effort to reduce some tongue weight. And agree, the small clam shell style vent covers are a great means of venting the box if you have a wet cell battery inside. I found the small covers on a marine web site and used a small piece of screen material over the vent hole and held it in place with a small amount of Gorilla glue.

If you do move the tank outside the box you should consider using some sturdy tie down straps and a stainless bracket to ensure it remains in place and will weather the elements and road travel. Road bounce, sunlight and vibration create a lot of wear and tear on these items and the last thing you want happening is to lose a propane tank on the highway.

Good luck to you!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Change. The smaller propane tank and new battery will be in the new box. Wondering what fitting you use to penetrate the back of box for both. My ideas are not quite safe enough in my opinion. Appreciate ya, Thanks Tom

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature