Options

Newbie learning about water system... need wisdom!

Practicing in the driveway for our first real trip in our 2018 TAG Max XL. So I see 2 input ports for water inside the "City Water" locked area. Assuming you would use the one on the right if you want to connect with constant pressure? The one on the left to simply fill and go? We purchased a water filter, water pressure regulator, and L shaped connector on advice from seller. Last, we see no grey water collector ... do you professionals simply use a bucket? Thanks for any light you can shed on this for us newbies! :)

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 43

You got it all right so far - right down to the bucket. Looks like your ready to get out of the driveway and go.....
    Have fun!!!
    Bob

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Remember the hose(s). I would recommend using multiple shorter length verses one long hose.
    Have fun.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Instead of a bucket I use a rubber dish pan to catch water from sink. Sometimes there is a parking stop on the campsite driveway and it will still fit to catch the water. Also use it to store hitch wheel, wheel chocks, power cable all of which can be wet & muddy on the trip home.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I use a collapsible bucket. Stores neatly beneath the sink.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    tdillonstdillons Member Posts: 9

Thanks for your ideas and encouragement everybody! Feeling much more confident. One additional question ... have you found pros/cons to staying hooked up to water line with pressure (when available) vs. simply refilling the reservoir when needed? Really appreciate your responses - thanks again!

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I haven't hooked up water in the 2 years we've owned it.
    We just find it simpler to use a 5gal water container.
    The best way is to find your camping "style" and go with it.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I also typically find that I do not hook up to water and instead use 2.5 gal container. I often do not use the sink at all during camping. I have used the hose in 110 degree weather to cool down the trailer. That was a mistake, since it just allowed the desert dust to cling to the windows.
    Another reason for not using the onboard water is weight, especially rear of the axel. That is an extra 88 lbs. that I need to avoid, since I am near the towing capacity of my RAV4.
    If/when I do an extended camping stay, I would consider on board or external water.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

We use an old bucket to collect the grey water, it then gets used to douse the camp fire. As @JamesDow stated the on board tank adds overall weight and puts it behind the axle, this will also reduce the tongue weight and if you have too little weight on the tongue it can lead to sway at hwy speeds. You always want at least 10% of the TD weight on the tongue.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We always use the camper water tank because our water at home is much better than what you find at a campground. We use hose and campground water for washing dishes, etc. It’s simple to sanitize the water tank and fill it before a trip. When we leave campground I pull the T handle to drain the tank on the trip home.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400
    edited January 2020

I haven't always hooked up to electric but I have always hooked up to the Park's water line when camping. It has worked out great. I use the collapsible bucket to catch the grey water. Water on demand without having to engage the pump saves the battery too. I probably should use the tank at some point just to be sure nothing leaks.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@BBsGarage said:
    I haven't hooked up water in the 2 years we've owned it.
    We just find it simpler to use a 5gal water container.
    The best way is to find your camping "style" and go with it.

I've never hooked mine up either. I've always just used the water tank. For gray water, I use a 6" piece of hose screwed to the drain, then stuff the dangling end in a 2 gallon kitty litter container that happens to fit in the sink for traveling. For off-grid gray water, I find that dirt is a good container for sink water...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I use a $5 Home Depot bucket. It's easy...... I store stuff in it while we travel.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay