Options

Yakima Rack Keys

Discovered in the fist full of keys we got with the trailer last month, we have one pair unknown, and missing keys for the Yakima Rack. We might be stopping by a locksmith.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I keep my trailer tongue lock keys on my trailer ring. Could the unknown be of that nature?

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

My rack keys were in the nuCamp bag inside the Yakima box.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

We keep all trailer related keys on one ring in the 4 Runner drivers side door pocket. Buried under dog treats and poop bags. Need to have duplicates made.
    We did receive a bag of miscellaneous rack pieces and instructions, but no keys. No Yakima box.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I keep all of my trailer keys (hatch, water hatch, front storage box, tongue lock, generator lock etc) inside my trailer on a hook. I only carry one key (door key) with me on my pocket keyring. I keep a spare set of everything in the Jeep, locked up.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I've learned that if you have one unit of the rack unlocked you can get a special key to pull the lock and get the needed number off the side of the removed lock. Mine are all locked. Guess I could drill it out and buy a new set of locks and keys for around forty bucks. We'll visit a locksmith one of a these days. At this point we want the whole works removed. I do not want to damage before I give it away. Downsized here two or three times. Lost storage and much shop space. So I give away extra (I Think) material, parts etc. She is going into heated storage for a couple months.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Probably a silly question, but have you tried the Yakima website? I know they have replacement locks and keys.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

Yes..You can get keys if you know the lock/key number. You can get them from Yakima and Amazon. But you do need one lock unlocked so that you can remove the guts to get the lock number. You can get a magic key to remove the inards if the lock is unlocked. Then order the correctly numbered key. Otherwise see the locksmith who may have a sample of all the key numbers. He can try all his samples and know the number. Or pick the lock, see the number on the tumbler body and order a new key or maybe make one.
    Or maybe drill her out, hope to not damage something else, get the number and order a new set of locks and keys. Will avoid that,unless I loose my patience. Been working on that patience thing recently.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Well I found the Magic Yakima Box hidden in the galley. Hmm. Did have the keys.
    Also has the magic key that can be used to remove core if it is unlocked.
    Two lock keys provided. Tumblers must be froze up. Keys don't work. Soaked in lock lub, later WD40 as recommended by Yakima. Shot internals with liquid wrench.
    Will repeat over the weekend with the liquid wrench. Suppose too dissolve other old lubricants. Will call Yakima Monday if this doesn't do the trick.
    They say the rack locks should be tended to annually. Our 2017 was purchased in late 2016. Obviously no maintenance and minimal use. Previous owner said he had her out in the snow in California a couple times and that is about it. He is a Merchant Seaman and is at sea 4 months at a time. Most things in the provided bag of info were still in original sealed condition.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Monday night and rack locks still inoperative. Shut her down. Took to heated storage for a while. I'll get back for a little seam caulking before the weather warms up a bit.
    Wondering what to do with the stock black plastic phony front trunk. Sitting in my restored Pickup. Probably cut up and haul to the dump eventually.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2020

Mine was aluminum so I was able to get some usable pieces off of it, but most of it ended up in the aluminum recycling. It wasn't completely useless, but pretty close to that. Like a new, 3 foot piece of 2X4....Too short to use but too good to throw away. A hood ornament. Designed to sell trailers, not to be useful.

On the bright side, there are lots of useful options and it's easy to remove...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Shoot maybe that thing is metal. I figured the weight was the frame for propane and the battery. Better look closer I reckon. Thank

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max