Options

Caulking T@G XL

Hello again.
Any suggestions what caulking to use on the seams?
I removed the swoosh decals. They ran up under the trim. That caused some areas that are potential leaks I do believe.
After years of Shiny vintage trailers and cleaning up others mess during restorations, I am reluctant to deal with silicon. Besides other owners work seems to always come out ugly and hard to clean around. I'd like to have a gray color to do the seams matching the trailer as close as possible. Forgot what I was using before. Gave a lot parts and such away.

By the way, my under carriage inspection revealed a trailer wide seam where the front siding meets the belly cover.
Massive pulling apart crack all along that location. Gooped er up, smoothed over, but not pretty.

Thanks again

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

We could start a club for folks who don't like silicone caulk. Thought I was the only one. I use latex caulk. It goes on nice, can be smoothed out and works well. It's not as robust as silicone, but easy to remove and reapply. When I removed my own swirly stickers, I went through the same thing as you. Don't let anyone fool you. The factory caulk is..... Let's just say it's easy to remove and leave it at that. Silicone? Me thinks not.

Maintenance is inevitable. Make your choice with that in mind. Easy on....easy off....

Also, keep in mind that the door and window frames also have seals behind the frames. The caulk is more about the first line of defense, not the ONLY line of defense...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited February 2020

Well spoken. My same thoughts. But must say I was not real confident about latex.
    Like the thought "easy on, easy off."

Might add leaky sprung suicide doors on vintage trailers, and 50plus years old trailer, weather stripping, door, window seals, and rotten floors, rewiring and plumbing, aluminum polishing, makes for long days, weeks, months, years, of crawling under and over and sometimes profanity laced fun/ hard work.

This T@G thing will hopefully be less work and $$$$. At least it is much newer and no one else has had an opportunity to screw things up. I will probably never get over the Mod bug. Getting kind of old for the hard stuff. At least that is what my joints and noggin are telling me.
    Thanks
    Tom

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

If you want more information here is a link from the T@B forum that will shed more light on the subject. 👍🏻

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2895/attention-special-factory-maintenance-notice/p2

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Checked it out--Thanks

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

NuCamp says to use a polyurethane marine type caulk.

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Finally got my dirty hands on the Poly marine type caulk 3M

Also might share that on our Kayak dry suit gaskets and the rubber/ whatever on the trailers I and others recommend 303 Protectant

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17

++++ on the 303 protectant. Works great on wiper blades as well.

• Options

Bobrocks

Good, thanks

A few days ago we went to visit the trailer at its heated garage. Planned to caulk. Kinda dark and cramped in there. Got caulking on my many years old, favorite knock around, camping, Duluth jacket. Did remove fairly easily. After I do some major pressure washing of garage, decks and driveways of ours and neighbors, we'll bring the trailer home for caulking and tweaking.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max