Options

Howdy

FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Picking up a new TAG Boondock Edge XL this week, thanks for the add on; sold our Aliner Ranger 10 last month & looking forward to getting out soon...anyone know the suggested level height for towing for this particular one, I'll adjust once the truck/camper are loaded...thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Our 2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL sits perfect with the ball at 21" when connected, you may need to set it higher depending on how much your suspension compresses with the weight, in my case it drops 1/2" so my ball is actually at 21 1/2" without the T@G.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options

Thanks for the reply Dave, have a few ball set ups, stickler for leveling lol....

• Options

I'm a stickler for level as well as tongue weight. With battery and full propane expect tongue weight to be in the 170 lb range, once we fill the water tank and load the Yeti with food and ice that drops to 150-160 so I make sure to load some in front to offset this. I try to keep my tongue around 180 when loaded and 170 when not. It tows really well when loaded, on the way home with drained tank and empty cooler it still tows nice but it does bounce a little more. I think the wheel and axle combination likes to be loaded down a little.
    Curious why move from the Aliner to T@G? Like the T@G, Aliners have a good rep and loyal following.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

• Options

Thanks for the info, I'll put that to use...we had the Ranger 10, decent set up, but wife likes the Tag arrangement better, so there you go lol; have a Sylvansport Go camper as well, pal owns the RV place where we're getting the XL, he's gonna buy it I think...noticed your from the Toronto area, wife's company is based there I believe (Intact), & our son is at Ft Drum near Watertown NY, heading back to "Afghaniland" soon...cold as hay up there, guess you get used to it lol

• Options

Some may get used to the cold...not me. Is your hitch class I or II? Only reason I ask is the Boondock can quickly be 'over' for a class I especially on the tongue.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

• Options

2, tongue weight 650 on a 2010 Tacoma 4 door SR5 w/ tow package, max combined w/ us/gear etc will be 2200 lbs if that...max for the truck is 6400 lbs, if i ever tow over 3000 lbs, bigger truck lol, lotta steep stuff here in Va...

• Options

You must travel light if two adults, gear and everything will be 2200. The T@G is 1703 lbs wet, that leaves just shy of 500 lbs for people food and gear. Ignore your dealer specs, wet weight is 1529 for the XL and add 174 for the Bondock edition, if you have solar add some more for that as well. The sticker on ours says 1675lbs (we have solar) including spare tire, battery and full propane, add the water and that jumps to roughly 1766. Food, extra water, chairs, second cooler for beer, bbq, basic tools, cables, hoses, it all adds up fast. I'd bet I'm over 2000 without the wife or dog, and the dog is 106 alone.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

• Options

Thanks for the reply, did some more searching & by Gumby you're spot on; we getting the Boondock edition/solar, & will have all the extras you mentioned, w/ the exception of the dog, her chihuahua is 8 lbs...maybe we don't travel as light as i thought. We won't travel w/ water for the most part...I'm guessing now we're closer to to 2800?

• Options

Guessing w/ the 1675 (combined weight you mentioned), I added 350 for the 2 of us + dog, and 500 lbs for cooler/food/gear; comes out to 2,525, sound about right?

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Frogger,
    Your estimate of 500lbs for cooler and gear may be a bit light in my opinion.
    Attached is an Excel Spreadsheet which has a tab on item weight loading. I developed this on a recent trip, where I was concerned about weight. I fount myself removing items to get to an ideal weight. My Rav4 has a weight capacity of 1,071 and a tow capacity of 1,500.

• Options

Thanks for the help James, but I can't load the sheet; tried to save it but this is an old Windows 8.; can you send it to rmcpeery@msn.com, wife may be able to see it on her computer...thanks much...

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Set to the email you specified.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    The item weight weight was accomplished by standing on a digital scale and then deducting the weight of the person on the scale.
    Not perfect, but close.
    It really did give me a good overall picture of things.

• Options

Thanks...retired, so I got scales & time lol, wife will relay the sit rep...

• Options

@JamesDow said:
    Set to the email you specified.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    The item weight weight was accomplished by standing on a digital scale and then deducting the weight of the person on the scale.
    Not perfect, but close.
    It really did give me a good overall picture of things.

Got it, thanks again, started a chart this morning, amazing how stuff adds up...

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Frogger...Our 03 4Runner SR5 with tow package. Managed well pulling a 61 Avion that loaded, I figured close to 4K. Front replaced water tank was huge and had to keep it half full or less.. Took 5900 mile and several 2000+ trips with no toeing issues. Did have electric brakes..... and many thousands $$$ in restorations.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

Good deal Tom, a 4Runner will be in the future for the wife someday; did a weight chart today , & figured we were less than 3000, so good to go, I'll tweek the electric brake control once we get loaded up...