Options

Real battery monitoring experiences

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
edited February 2020 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

If you followed my thread on installing the diesel heater you might recall that I have 2 voltage gauges and am getting different readings on them. I spent some time yesterday and did a bit of testing with my multimeter. I tested at the battery terminals and got yet another reading🙄 so it's time to get back to work on the why's. I'm making an assumption that the multimeter is the most accurate. It's reading right in the middle of the voltmeters with one being .2 volts higher and the other being .3 volts lower. The high reading is coming from the voltmeter I have hooked to my diesel heater line, which is directly off the battery. The low one is reading off the 12V line that comes through the converter. Next step is to read the line voltages with my multimeter at the gauges and see if the meter and gauges agree there. I will be replacing the ring connectors at the battery with heavier, copper connectors to see if that makes a difference. My ultimate goal is to eliminate all but one volt meter and have it on the hard 12V line for the diesel heater. I will probably ultimately go with the 712 or 700 meter that many are using. First I need to satisfy myself that the connections are all ship-shape which probably means pulling the converter as well. I've replaced all of the scotch lock connectors I have run into but am sure there are more lurking in there somewhere.

It will be really interesting to find out if the gauges are in fact, accurate, or if it's in the connections. 1/2 volt doesn't sound like much, but it's significant when it comes to battery life.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Possibly distance?

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Are all the devices that you get different measurements from using the same ground? Maybe the loss is on the ground side? This usually tends to be the culprit in automotive electrical issues.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@DaveB said:
    Are all the devices that you get different measurements from using the same ground? Maybe the loss is on the ground side? This usually tends to be the culprit in automotive electrical issues.

I'm assuming that too but need to do my homework. I'll test everything. There's no other way to know.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.