Options

Heading out April 7th

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I'll be leaving for the Badlands on April 7th and expect to spend most of a week there. I've been past, through, over and around the Badlands, but never been "to" the Badlands. I'm looking forward to it. My bro was going to swamp along but has church duties so I'll be going solo. It'll be good to stretch my legs for a few days after the claustrophobic winter. I've got 6 gallons of wine brewing on the countertop and hope to have it finished by then. That all depends upon the dedication of the yeast. So far, they look pretty dedicated. It looks in there like I dropped my 11 year old into a bathtub full of gummy bears. The yeast are real busy with all that sugar.

In case of inclement weather, the backup plan will be Hannibal, MO.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

What part are you headed to William A? South Dakota, North Dakota, or other? Theodore National Park's really pretty.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

@Fourman110 said:
    What part are you headed to William A? South Dakota, North Dakota, or other? Theodore National Park's really pretty.

SD. I'll be in the CG by the park headquarters as close as I can get to the restaurant. Scratch that....I meant to say: Showers.....
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

SD is a fantastic trip. If you get a chance the lighting ceremony at Mount Rushmore is really good (though might be a bit early in the year for it).

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

We trailered through there a couple years ago. stayed extra days. Maybe total 10 days. I hope the weather is better than I suspect. Have fun, we did. Horse Thief Camp Ground Hill City. Close to every thing. Took us two days to get there. First stop on our 5900 mile trip with the '61 Avion.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    edited March 2020

"I hope the weather is better than I suspect."

I have 3 independent heat sources and 3 stoves. So long as the dry goods don't dry up or the water firm up (freeze) I'll be fine. We cheeseheads aren't very bright as evidenced by the fact that we've been through one or more winters and are still living here, but we're nothing if not prepared. "Preppers" are rank amateurs compared to any cheesehead who's been outside in January. Asteroids are rare here because they prefer the relative warmth of deep space....
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    PatSeinerPatSeiner Member Posts: 5

Check out www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/alerts.htm

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Have fun dude, looking forward to a sit rep w/ pics lol

• Options

The quarantini report:

Checked the specific gravity of my 6 gallons of wine today and it's 1.00 sg. A visual inspection shows lots of yeast settling. That means the alcohol content is above what the yeast can tolerate and they are dying in droves. According to my calculations, the A.C. is between 12.5 and 13% by volume. That'll kill all but the most dedicated yeast. I'll rack into a secondary tomorrow assuming the SG is below .998. If things clear enough I might be far enough along to draw off a small bottle to take with on the trip....Strictly for "research". I'm all about the data...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Getting ready for some day adventures with my son. We loaded up the bikes and tools today. I couldn't muster the courage to fill the water tank yet. It did get up to 38 today and last night's snow melted, but vigilance is in order for at least a couple of weeks. I did run the diesel heater today for an hour or so while I tidied up the tools and tuned my bike. It just does that thing it does. At this rate, I'll soon need to top off the diesel tank. It's just a smidge over half a tank. I'd like to keep it full as I can to keep the water out.

Will's bike fits neatly in the trailer and mine will ride where it always does up front. I still need to order a spare front axle for mine so I can leave one in the fork mount. It'll keep bees and critters out of the hole when the bike isn't up there.

We'll go out to the bike trail tomorrow so Will can get some seat time on the new bike. He's excited to give it a go.

Maybe later in the week we'll see if there's a campsite open...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Damn, you know how to live

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

WilliamA...make sure to bring enough toilet paper with you to trade with the locals for food and services.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@WilliamA ..safe travels on your upcoming trip.. I'm planning on backyard camping for a while...once our snow goes away...of course it was almost gone and today it started again... thankfully we were already out for 7 weeks at the beginning of 2020!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

I'm still planning to go with the caveat that our Gov mandates will guide my decisions. If it looks like I can do so safely, I'll do so. In the meantime, I'll be waiting at the mailbox for my stimulus money so I can reach out and stimulate the (Amazon) economy. =)
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

(This morning)

Snow? What snow? That's just a light dusting of frost....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@william... I don't mind snow as long as no driving in it...glad you've postponed it... backyard camping with your son is still priceless in my books...have fun!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

Tom,

Right now I'm having enough trouble keeping the household from raiding my supplies. It doesn't look good for inventory control....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Improv campsite.

Ran the gennie and did some spring maintenance chores. We're having a class now on how to make percolator coffee.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I will say I ran out of wax paper in the house...just a quick visit and back to grating cheese!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited March 2020

We will all run out of our favorite and necessary things that we like and are accustom to in the coming days.. no doubt. Being campers though I think we have an advantage. Without the sickness, We’re still camping =)

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV