Maps, navigation and travel planning

CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

I am curious what others are doing for trip planning, navigation and historical, where have I been? Are you full blown overland mapping solution from GAIA GPS or Rand McNally and a highlighter?

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

Comments

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I attempt to use an Excel spreadsheet to log information on my trips. (See attached)

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2020

I have GAIA for offroad but almost exclusively use Google maps for roadwork. I also have my Rand McNally's super-atlas. It's a good campsite read. When I have signal, I prefer using google maps in either terrain (contour) mode or 3d (photo) mode. 3d mode shows many forest road and trails that aren't on the regular flat map. I occasionally download USGS maps at 7.5 minute scale for the really gnarly stuff. I have a gps only app on both my phone and tablet that gives grid coordinates that I can use to plot points on either google maps or my atlas. Plotting to the atlas isn't as accurate but will generally keep me in a 100x100 meter grid square. I also have a really good compass with Mil ring for shooting azimuths to triangulate points if that becomes necessary. When towing the trailer, I keep off-grid navigation pretty conservative and won't stray too far from recognizable map waypoints.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

edited March 2020

The big downside to using an atlas for land navigation is the lack of a declination diagram. Without that, it's easy to be off by a long way (many kilometers) when plotting points. Good to keep that in mind. When navigating in unfamiliar terrain, look up the declination at the main camp and it'll keep you from becoming too off with your plots. This is probably the more salient for hikers. Overlanders (Offroad vehicles) tend to leave followable tracks in even the driest terrain.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Our trips are usually based upon a meeting of like minded people...then we either arrive early or stay later and explore the area...usually a little research has happened before we go...but finding some hidden jewels are lovely to find too...especially when there are road clisures

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113
    edited March 2020

Thank you all. Just needed a sanity check. I have been using the GAIA for a while and @WilliamA I know exactly what your saying about the up's and down's on the trail adding to the distance. Here is a good example of one of our trips into the maze district of Canyonlands
    Our setup looks like this when we are going way out. Sometimes nice to have the bread crumbs.
    I know it is a lot of screens the ipad doubles as the OBD2 interface if needed and our wifi hotspot.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

edited March 2020

I don't know any like minded people. Perhaps that's a good thing...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Camphub,

Is that an Alpine?

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Shhh dont tell anyone... yes B)

Got it....mum's the word...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• lipciolipcio Member Posts: 41

Maps.me is a good alternative if you don't have cell coverage and forgot to download maps. It's free with maps from all over the world and maps are very detailed.

Thank you @lipcio I like having options.