Options

Bzzzzzzzzz

Piddlin' around the Edge yesterday & kept hearing that familiar drone of winged critters zipping around, saw a wasp eyeing the AC intake vents on the side & thought to myself, "If I were a bee, what a nice place for a nest"...so I went inside & snatched a pair of hunting socks from a plastic tub, rolled 'em up & gently blocked the entrance. Left enough sticking out so I wouldn't forget they were in there...the open galley w/ speakers made for a laid back party of 2 last night listening to a local oldies station...

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

Good for you @Frogger - making the best of things! I wish we could wear shorts here in Cleveland:)

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

We had a fairly warm winter here in Va., almost wish it had been colder, ticks & assorted bugs are gonna be even worse; w/ the all the state & Fed park closures, this may be our norm for a good while...I can deal w/ it, hoping we all get through this regardless of how long it takes...

• Options
    JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Good catch. It’s warming here as well and I need to do the same!

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148

We are expecting snow.....Have a lot of mods I want to do, but it’s been too cold. Doing what I can on good days. Nothing flying around here...no worries. Besides hornets for some reason don’t like to enter my carports.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

@frogger..our sponges are still up there from our return trip in February..and they'll probably still be there when we finally get to our first campsite of the season...unless backyard camping happens first

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options

@ontheroad...dang neat idea, gonna pick up a cheap big yellow car wash sponge & trim to fit, easier to see & such; thanks for the tip...

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

My vents have screens on the inside so those critters cant get in. But I hadn't thought of them building a home in the chrome piece.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

@HikinMike...yep, made sure the screens were in place when I bought ours, then saw a wasp hovering around the housing & BAM!, knew what he was thinking lol; every spring I go around the house & check for nests that I found the "hard way", by getting stung...wall mounted garden hose holder etc...one year I couldn't get my key into the starter on the riding mower, dang little mud dauber of some type had nested in the slot, had to take a paper clip end & dig the dirt out, so now I keep a tiny zip tie stuck in the slot...lessons learned the hard way are lessons learned lol

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Sponges also help to keep some road dust out..happy driveway camping everyone!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2020

Wasps....ugh.... I learned everything I ever wanted to know about 'em while cutting hayfields as a kid. I did my personal best 4,000 meter sprint with high hurdles that day. As far as I know, the tractor and sickle are still goin'.
    It's probably run out of gas by now. Dad thought it was really funny. I do too.....now.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

During my eleven years around VA while in the Navy and with IBM, there was some dang cold Icy winters and dang hot humid summers. Never saw shorts this time of year. That was late 50s into late 60s. The bugs did not bother me as much as the snakes in the woods and swamps.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

@GigHarborTom--things have changed weather wise, cold winters/hot as hay summers up up it seems til the 90s, then the winters seemed to get milder in general, summer still dang hot; bugs/snakes still all over the place lol...

• Options

Frogger- June,1966, new home in Manassas, the day our baby girl came home and granny came to help, air conditioner quit. 104 degrees 96 humidity. I was in nearby Quantico on a service call for IBM. Lots of quarters for the phone, lots of calls, finally after additional profanity to a compressor mfg. President. AC operational by end of the day. I did have to threaten to rip out of the wall and set in the middle of the Cul-de-sac.
    My baby girl is now a grandma.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    edited April 2020

I did a couple of 12 month stints up at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. It was summer in wooden barracks. I was mostly just hot and moldy most of the time. We'd go out to run at 4 a.m. to beat the wet bulb.
    Good fishing off the shore though for catfish....
    Oh yeah...and the Friday night blue crabs and beer. I enjoyed most of it.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Did my time at Ft Benning Ga. (Infantry School) in the wormy germy wood barracks lol, extreme heat & humidity, but you were so dang tired you went to sleep as your head was heading toward the pillow...think all the military bases went futuristic in the early 80s maybe...

• Options

Exactly! As long as the temperature was between 20 and 100 and I had a blanket/Brillo pad, I was out before I even got horizontal. Good times.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Several years after my navy days, I was in an Army Reserves AIT group. Several trips to Ft Polk as Infantry Instructor and Drill Sgt. Hot, Humid, every snake you can think of, scorpions etc. Had to take care of a our troops during a major storm. One of the guys had lost his M16 in the swamps. Still have my old DI Snake stick. Just about died the first before breakfast mile run. Being a DI we got 3 sets of starched fatigues a day. Felt that was mean.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options

Bzzzzzzzzz Is about the military? I thought it was about flying insects that sting? This morning looked like this:

Anyone know why hornets dont like carports?
    I spent my whole life serving the gov starting with being drafted.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Very nice Car Port! Actually..very nice carport!!!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

@TomD said:
    Very nice Car Port! Actually..very nice carport!!!

Why thank you TomD! There are hornets on my property, always starting nests in the spring. But for whatever reason.....they leave whatever I park under the carport alone. Ain’t never figured that one out. Maybe luck? Birds like it though. The cover on my T@G, is for a pop up camper. It works for now, till it doesn’t. Don’t know when the hornets will show up...expecting more snow tonight—-love it. Yep, I love the cold....

• Options

@Bob297 never seen 'em on carports either, especially metal ones; strange, have seen em on the front & side eaves of wood garages & in trees, hard to tell..any time I post, things usually head south lol, not a stickler for "post integrity", any topic can be included...so far no hornets en mass, but generally have to fight ground yellow jacket nests & wasps; been many years since I was stung by a hornet, they hurt like a muther

• Options
    edited April 2020

Just anecdotal observation from an old remodeling carpenter but I think they don't like the heat of metal surfaces. Probably baked the little buggers. I have seen a few inside fan vents for bathrooms but not many. Same with honeybees...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.