Options

How big a battery if LED lights only?

Just bought a 2020 Tag Boondock lite.. It has the YETI cooler instead of the norcold. If I only need enough to power the LED lights and fantastic fan, how big of a battery do I need? Looking to shave some weight off.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

That's been a running question and I suspect it will remain one of the top topics. It's one of those questions where you ask any two people and get three opinions.

For me, there are two variables. First, how much electric stuff do you have and how do you plan to keep your battery charged.

Speaking only for myself, I can say that I use a lot of energy, mostly with lights and radio. I have lots of lighting options and some of them are power hungry. I used my standard group 24 battery and recently upgraded to a group 27. I have not had any issues with the stock battery other than it was starting to get a little tired. I mostly upgraded to get a better ( name brand) battery and upsized because the price difference was only about $20 bucks on sale.

I don't have solar and mostly depend upon my Jeep as the charger. I want to stay smaller because it's less stressful on my tow vehicle and the smaller battery charged faster.

If I had any advice to give it would be to simply try the battery that you have and see how well it does before upgrading. You might be quite surprised at how well it does.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    lipciolipcio Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2020

@AustinHealey said:
    If I only need enough to power the LED lights and fantastic fan, how big of a battery do I need? Looking to shave some weight off.

All depend how often you will use fantastic fan. With just LED lights (reasonable usage) you should be able to get almost a week in my opinion. There is a table somewhere on this forum showing power need of each component of your trailer. Knowing what you have and how long it will run per day you can do a quick math.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

I will check on mine when I get home later, the 2020 may have higher consumption for lights. Previous years the overhead lights were the dome and bulb variety. For 2020 they changed that up to dual strips overhead, so consumption might be slightly higher. I have the factory solar on mine, the Victron phone app tells you consumption, not sure how accurate it is but I can check each light and fan setting and note the indicated draw. Radio/television is a bigger draw than you would think.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL