Options

Lightning

Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

Hello Everyone!!!!

I’m brand new here. Just picked up a 2020 T@g Boondock Lite, last week. Initially, I plan to camp in state parks, for the most part. I was curious about lightning. Are T@g trailers safe in lightning? What do you do when a thunderstorm rolls your way? Thanks, in advance, for sharing your experiences with me!

Comments

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

The same as in a tent. Bad storm or tornadoes go somewhere else. Lightning, disconnect the electric cable. Thunderstorm or winds put awnings or side tents down.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

From Shorelooksnice.com:

“An aluminum skin Toy Hauler or Travel Trailer would be just as safe in a lightning storm. When it comes to fiberglass RVs, if they're made with an aluminum cage using fiberglass panels the Faraday Cage effect should still work. If your RV is made with wood and fiberglass you need to head to your tow vehicle.”

It worries me that he says “should work” not an absolutely will work! Even with our TaB aluminum framing, I do not want to test the Faraday Cage effect! If you have warning of an electrical storm, best to unplug your TaG and shelter somewhere else. Keep in mind that large trees and wind are equally dangerous in our little campers.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I'm with Sharon. I don't worry too much about being struck by lightning while inside the trailer but don't doubt it would fry the electronics. I'm a neurotic, paranoid traveler and when storms come around, I head for something with a bit more protection like the shower house or strong shelter. If I get caught out where there's nowhere to shelter, I'll hop in my Jeep for a bit and wait things out. I've been in some pretty impressive storms and it's not pleasant, but I think a vehicle or shelter is a much safer alternative to hole-ing up in my tin box. Just sayin....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

Thank you all, for sharing your thoughts with me. I believe I’ll find shelter, when the lightning comes my way.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

The lightning never scared me. However the hail and heavy rain have kept me awake many a night. I actually never considered lightning in that the little guy SS shell is not metal.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

I don't worry about lightning. I worry more about tree limbs in the heavy wind. Waited out a few in the car when I used to tent camp.