Camping Without Trailer

Took a solo exploring run this last week without the trailer. Wanted to know the dirt road conditions and camping alternatives before I towed my T@G. Went to Ferguson Lake CA first on an isolated dirt road. Used 4 wheel drive on my Rav4 and would not take the T@G (non-boondock) in the future to Ferguson.

Next went to Senator Wash Reservoir. Again, from the direction I came would need a 4x4, but found alternative routes on way out which would not require 4x4. Will take the T@G next time. Many available camp sites on BLM land. They charge $15 a night if open right around the reservoir. worth it. Still closed so my cost this time was $0. Only has vault toilets, which were not opened when I went. No potable water access. Did have a 3 foot Rattlesnake cruise through the campsite and mosquitos at night and in the morning. Had slight problem the last night with the lake water level rise of about 8" overnight. Lost about 8 feet of my shoreline and got some gear wet. Even though I noted the rise and moved things back, it was still not far enough. I would guess the lake access sites were at 85-90% full. everyone doing their part at social distancing. Air temps were mid 90s with water temp good. Fishing fair. Would recommend, and if I can talk the wife into it, may go back in a few weeks with the T@G.