Options

General Maintenance

KimMKimM Member Posts: 6

Hello, We're seriously considering purchasing a T@g XL. Closest one to look at is four hours away. So we haven't made the trip yet to see it. Considering just purchasing without visiting it, however, I'm concerned about my husband being able to get in and out of it alright. He's on the bigger side. Can anyone comment on how easy it is to get in and out? He's 60. Also, have been working hard to simply my life and am reluctant to acquire another thing that takes time to upkeep, maintain and fix. Though I'm a life-long camper, all kinds of rigs and tents, it's been a long time since we've owned an actual RV. Can anyone comment on just how much maintenance there is on a T@g? Is it time consuming? Or are these fairly light on the maintenance...which is what I want. Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Depending on where you live. In California, very little maintenance. Can jack up and grease the wheels once a year. Clean and cover when done camping. Store in driveway.
    Getting in and out not difficult (might depend on "bigger side") Should be ok.
    Fill up 20lb propane tank maybe once a year. Check air in tires.
    Had to fix crank opening up the overhead vent. Replaced two USB plugs. Not difficult to move on a flat hard surface by one person. I bought mine used and it was over 7.5 hours away. Never saw it but for photos.
    One can get into customizing and modifying things as desired. I am for keeping the unit as stock as possible. I added a shelf using 3M command hooks. Made a wind screen for the stove. Made a portable backsplash behind the stove. Added an extra speaker outlet in the kitchen galley.
    Things I bought to go with trailer - CLAM 6x6 shelter, Renolgy 100-watt solar suitcase, Propane generator, portable heater, misc. specialty tools for the trailer.
    Bottom line with the trailer, I wish I used it more. I am retired and my wife still works. Makes getting out sometimes a bit harder. I hope I can talk her into early retirement.
    I am glad I did not get the XL. Mainly because my tow vehicle is a a 4-cylinder Rav4. If I had the money, I would have wanted a boondock edition. Still to heavy for the RAV4. I still take mine out on dirt trails/roads, just take it slow and easy.
    The good thing about a purchase decision is the resale potential. They seem to be in high demand still. Lots of people show interest in these trailers.
    As for other makes, I would consider them also. A lot depends on the style of camping you intend.
    Things I seldom use - Air conditioning.
    Read up on this Forum. Lots of information and you will find lots of very helpful people.
    Good Luck with your decision.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

KimM
    I am pretty good sized XXL and will be 80 in June. I have no trouble at all managing my way in ,out and around our 2017 T@G Wide. We started out with a 4X8 teardrop 25 years ago. We were pretty much into the Vintage trailer restoration the last 20 years. With the T@G that we just bought in December, I have found easy to play around with. If the wheel bearing lub sounds a little iffy, have it done. I did ours and a couple other things. This is step down in size for changing clothes etc. Just get a side clothes changing tent. maybe for the potty also. You will enjoy I can promise you. Stick with the folks on this sight. They are very helpful. You will find the owners manual helpful. Can be found here.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

KimM

I was 62 and XXL when I got the trailer. Getting in and out was no problem. It was difficult sitting up and changing clothes and such while inside the trailer. But camping led to hiking and camping. I am now a L and have no problems at all.

I had considered buying a fully contained RV but went for my 5-wide T@G Boondock Edge because it was just so easy to deal with and didnt have all the systems a full sized RV does. I chose the 5-wide because when I tow the trailer it doesn't stick out into my field of vision. And my Wife, small Dog and I fit just fine in it.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The one thing I did, which helps when getting in and out was to put down some indoor/outdoor carpet over he wood floor. This is a lot easier on the knees for me and my wife when the mattresses are stacked.
    The indoor/outdoor carpet installed covers the entire floor of the teardrop. (Under the mattresses, which I usually stack when not in tandem use) It is light weight and flexible, so it does not really interfere when accessing the underfloor storage. It has a rubber backing, so it does not slip around, slows down any spills from getting to the wood floor and is semi breathable. If I feel it has become moist, as camping in the rain, I roll it up when I get home, remove and let it dry out completely. Really easy. Small rocks, etc. do not get to the floor to scratch it up.
    Costco sells some for about $19, 6x9 #1208027 made by Foss, which weighs 5lb 1oz. I highly recommend.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2020

Hi Kim, My wife and I rented one before we made the leap. We rented a 5 wide and realized that the 6 wide after sitting in one, is better for us. I am an XL and had no issues getting in and out. We decided if we were making that kind of financial purchase that we would travel 2.5 hours one way to see the one we ended up buying. While we were traveling last year, someone that was in your same predicament, when we were within 60 minutes of her, came to visit ours. Maybe there is someone within a shorter distance that would show you theirs. Let your husband try to get in and see how comfortable or not, that he finds it. There are so many tips, mods, how to's on this web site that are so helpful, but in the end, we are all different and each person finds their most comfortable way to use their trailer. There is no right or wrong way, just different.
    What I can tell you, that it takes less than 10 minutes to park it, level, chaulk the wheels, hook up the power and water if the place you are at has the last two things. Almost the same to hook it back up to your tow vehicle to leave. Good Luck with your decision.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Hi Kim...hubby is definitely on the larger side...he sits down to get in and with the help of a footstool he further pushes himself in... he's got short legs too...lol..as the trip progresses he becomes more flexible...we have the XL and love the extra space inside..we travel with the Ozark Trail shower/change/ potty tent...mainly for changing..very low maintenance...check seals...grease the axles..some don't even use the onboard water tanks...ours is a 2017 and our longest trip has been 7 weeks with "her"...lots of great times!...best of luck!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2020

I "should" be the guy here with a 5 wide because of my woods/offroad hijinx but I'm addicted to the bigger kitchen. On the 6 wide, it seems twice as big. I had the luxury of seeing both the 5w and 6w side by side when I bought mine.
    Even pulling with my relatively narrow Jeep, I can mostly see with the stock mirrors. I also solo often and find the interior space much nicer for those times when the weather keeps me in for the day. If I had the 5 wide, I'd have to move my junk into the TV.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Very, very helpful everyone! Thank you so much for your comments. I have another question for you all. The galley kitchen...I see it’s kind of set back. I’m a short person and I’m wondering if it will be difficult to reach the counter comfortably. Can anyone else who is short comment on that?

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

@KimM...I'm 5'7", & we have the Boondock Edge XL, no probs dealing w/ the counter etc...I'd personally not buy "unseen", as your husband could check it out & see for himself how well he can get in/out, & you could rate the galley while there as well; be nice if someone close to you had one that you could check out...

• Options

We will be purchasing a 2020 T@G XL on Monday! In preparation, I want to construct a parking pad in our yard for it. Would anyone be able to tell me the distance between either the inside of the wheels or from the outside of them. Or both. I need to know for placement of paving blocks. Thanks for all the help!

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

72"(6ft) + 10" width on each fender well gives you a total of 92", 8ft wide should give you room...