Options

Venting for the Norcold?

tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179
edited May 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Our fridge seems to run better when the hatch is open and the drawer is pulled out. This makes sense to me as there is better air flow past the condenser than when the drawer is in and the hatch is closed since then the only available fresh air is the small vent in the floor under the fridge. While that might let cool air in, there is no place for warm air to get out. I am considering adding an exhaust vent. Options would be: first, through the side of the T@G or into the A/C dead space behind the galley wall and second, powered or static. Has anyone ever done this or thought about it? Do you think it would make a difference? I am looking for more consistent temperatures as well as decreased power consumption.

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The Norcold pushes out heat via it's internal fan. The heat exits out of the front of the unit (towards the galley door). Below the unit is an exhaust vent which exits out the bottom of the trailer. It would be possible to put a small computer style fan to push air out the exhaust hole. Looks like enough space for the Norcold to slide out with a low profile fine. That method just adds another power draw, which may not be compensated by any increase in the efficiency of the Norcold.
    The other option would be to just prop the galley door open a little. If need be, you could build a frame and screen 54.5" x 4" and it would keep the galley door open just enough and keep critters out. It could just store on the galley floor while traveling.
    I would be hesitant to tap into the space behind the AC for fear of disrupting the AC design. While not the best system, at least that system is closed for exchanging only air from behind the AC.
    I have used my Norcold in weather over 106 and did not experience any issues.
    The Norcold is not an absorption refrigerator where the heat would cause an issue.
    I personally think the Norcold runs fine as it is. The temperature is not perfectly consistent, but easily in a good margin of error for camping purposes.

• Options
    JayJay Member Posts: 71

We used ours in Florida last summer when temps stayed over 85 for two weeks. We had no issues with the norcold fridge. Temp of the unit varied by 4 degrees, we held it at 34.

• Options

Our fridge has always worked well but I think it can do better with a little help when the hatch is closed. The fridge placement in the T@G is not ideal per the Norcold Manual. I extracted the following-
    Cooling Unit Basics
    The cooling unit of your Norcold refrigerator/freezer makes heat. This heat must be removed
    quickly and efficiently in order for the refrigerator/freezer to have its maximum cooling
    performance. When the refrigerator/freezer is in an enclosed space, the temperature within
    the space will rise quickly and will reduce the cooling performance of the refrigerator/freezer.
    Continued operation at high temperatures can damage the refrigerator/freezer compressor
    and other components.
    A free flow of air (ventilation) through the refrigerator/freezer condenser coils and around
    the compressor is necessary for the refrigerator/freezer to operate correctly. While Norcold
    refrigerator/freezers are made to operate in more severe conditions than typical household
    refrigerator/freezers, you should not operate the refrigerator/freezer in high ambient
    temperatures. This will result in poor performance and possible food spoilage.
    NOTICE
    Convection Basics
    When ventilating an enclosed space, consider the facts of natural convection, that cool air
    falls and warm air rises. The ideal ventilation design will use natural convection and provide
    a path for cool air to enter below the refrigerator/freezer and warmer air to exit above the
    refrigerator/freezer. The design of the refrigerator/freezer allows this to occur if there is
    a ventilation opening above the refrigerator/freezer. The heat created by the refrigerator/
    freezer can then flow freely out of the enclosed space rather than be trapped within it.
    Ventilation for Norcold Portable Refrigerator/Freezers
    For the maximum cooling efficiency and the lowest power
    consumption, use the following guidelines. These are
    especially important when using the refrigerator/freezer
    under a counter or in an enclosed space.

• Make sure that there are at least 4 inches (102 mm)
      of clearance [10] from the vents on each side of the
      compressor compartment (See Art02218).

• When using the refrigerator/freezer in an enclosed
      space such as an RV basement, make sure that there
      are at least 48 square inches (310 square cm) of
      ventilation area above the compressor compartment.
      Less than 48 square inches (310 square cm) of
      ventilation area will result in poor refrigeration performance, continuous compressor
      operation, and a shortened refrigerator/freezer life.

• The ventilation area should open into the living area of the vehicle

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I drilled 2 3" holes in the wall behind my fridge so it vents into the space with the cowbells.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I generally leave my galley hatch open when I'm camping as I have have wing walls attached. While I'm up, I leave the Norcold pulled out. When I retire for the evening I push it in just so raccoons don't open it (yep, they are that smart). When I'm underway there is generally enough negative pressure created, due to the design of the floor vent cover under the trailer, to pull out the hot air.

I had considered a set up like boats have. One cowbell facing forward and one facing aft. When underway air would be forced into the compartment via the forward facing cowbell and back out through the aft facing cowbell.

I left my AC compartment intact. This past summer my AC would not cool once heat built up in the AC compartment. The fix was to completely seal the AC compartment. Once the dealer did that, the exhaust fans were able to work properly and the AC froze me out.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

But there is no place for cool air get into the galley if warm air gets sucked out while driving, and no place for warm air to escape through convection when the galley hatch is closed at night. That's the vent I want to add.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

If you still the front wall it will vent out through the cowbells.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.