Options

Jeep security trunk DIY

WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
edited May 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

I love having the top on my Jeep down (or off) but security is a concern with all of my camping stuff just laying behind the back seat. There are a few options on the market for security, but the cheapest (and smallest) starts at over $400 bucks. Since I'm stuck at home, I thought I would tackle the problem. Starting from the simplest bolt-down cover, I made patterns from 1/4" plywood. The one I ended up liking the best turned out to also be the most complex. There's a company that makes one quite similar to it, but again, they start at $750 dollars for the basic model. For around $250 bucks, I turned out this one:

It's still at the "work on progress" stage but the hard work of design, patterning and fabrication is done. It's in and functioning quite well. I still need to completely disassemble it for paint and detailing but that will happen as I get a hole (HAH!) in the home maintenance schedule.
The parts you can see are all cut from 16 gauge aluminum sheet. The subframe is welded up from 3/4" X 3/4" 16 gauge square steel tubing. The lid is a 2 fold affair and is captured when the tailgate is closed so entry isn't possible.

So far, so good...
WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Looks good dude, should discourage the grab & go crowd!

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

That is a very good looking piece of work. Great Job! I Like the bare aluminum look. What kind of top do you have on your Jeep WilliamA ?

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Dang that is nice. We had a couple jeeps a years ago. I miss those rigs. I spent the big bucks for security between the seat and other.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

I'm running the O.E. Bestop softtop in Black Diamond.

Doing some fine tuning.

Top down.

The prop rod to hold the front bi-fold up.

I removed the tie downs from the floor and moved them up top.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I finished the front security panel today and cut in a small secure hatch. Now I'll be able to put my camera and things in and out without having to open the back.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.