Options

Help! Can a T@G be Painted?

ctay122ctay122 Member Posts: 11

I removed the previous owner's decal from galley hatch of my 2017 T@G. It left one of those "ghost decals". Some oxidation product (Meguiar's 49) removed some of the smaller sections (the outside letters) of the decal (a compass) but not the main part of the ghosting decal which is a large compass. Is it possible to have the hatch painted? The color is silver frost. If it can be painted, should I take it to a dealer (2 hrs away) or can I use a local auto body shop with the proper paint formula? I have been told by some people on the T@G Facebook page perhaps it cannot and to get a wrap. I'd rather have it painted but I need to do something to cover it up.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2021

It can be painted. A body shop can match the paint and spray it but it won't be cheap. Shop around. Don't let them tell you the door has to come off. They can mask the trailer and spray it in place...

Do a search to try and find a paint code. It'll make their work easier and will reflect in the price...

Wrapping is much less expensive but not without pitfalls. There are places to get wrap "painted" (color printed for a good match) and then UV sealed, but that's not cheap either. I'd have it painted, or do it myself...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Than you William A. Elsie at NuCamp sent me the paint formula (and said the paint could be mixed by contacting a dealer and sent to the dealer for pickup). I'm still trying to decide what to do. I guess the other alternative is to put a new compass decal on it or just cover the whole thing up with a big decal to hide it.

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

I removed my TAG decal on the rear hatch to add a decal. I used a heat gun and decal remover and the paint came off along with the adhesive. My first thought was to paint over but now I am thinking a sheet of white vinyl, amazing how thin this paint seems to be.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The product is paint3d from the start. So yep, it can be painted.

A cousin of mine had is 78 corvette painted by a paint/body shop. Was nice looking. Not show quality, but good enough that he accepeted tge job that took him 10 years to say, I need to do it. And it was fairly cheap.

I think tge place name was Maco. He lives in ossining NY, but I do think it is a chain.

• Options
  • Options

@danp said:
    I removed my TAG decal on the rear hatch to add a decal. I used a heat gun and decal remover and the paint came off along with the adhesive. My first thought was to paint over but now I am thinking a sheet of white vinyl, amazing how thin this paint seems to be.

I agree. I decided to check out an auto decal shop and I'm having a custom one made to fit over the ghost decal instead having it repainted.

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

My most recent brilliant idea. Since scratches are below the decal I want to keep.
    I am looking at using 3M Scotchlite Reflective Vinyl to cover and make me more visible at night.

• Options
    Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

The reflective vinyl sounds like a great idea. A couple of carefully planned matched cut pieces might be the best way to make an attractive cover for a minor glitch in the paint. I’m also looking at what to do with the pits that gravel leaves on the plastic fenders. Each nick leaves behind a pit with a black center. I’ve filled the pits but that left white specs instead of black pits. No doubt I’m overthinking this. I really want the trailer to be nearly perfect when I sell it (soon).

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)