Covering the TaG and Cleaning Flexible Solar Panel

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited April 2021 in Trailers & Towing

Just treated all the rubber seals around doors, windows and skylight with Star Brite Premium RV Rubber Seal Conditioner. For a new trailer, our skylight seal was really grungy. A good cleanup with Spray Nine did the job. As far as the Solar Panel goes, is there anything one should treat that with for longevity? Bad idea to use Windex or ammonia based glass cleaners? For now, we've strapped a lightweight tent fly on to protect the top from the sun, sap, etc.

Comments

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

water and vinegar only on the windows

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622
    edited April 2021

Flexible solar panels are washed with clean water and a soft cloth. You never want to use anything on them that can potentially leave a film. Also, avoid scratching them. Be careful with a tarp - they may scratch the panel. The covers that are made for trailers are soft enough to avoid scratching the panel. Apparently if left on the surface, pollen and bird droppings can damage the panels. Not sure what to use for sap. I have asked over on the TaB forum.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631
    edited April 2021

My best method to protect from the weather is a cover. I got one for my 2018 standard T@G and it cost me around $91. Current cost is around $129. Still a good investment. After one and a half years of use, I would recommend.
    It fits well can go over my front box if desired and stays put in the wind (2 tie downs). I have no tears and it does not cause any moisture issues. It is somewhat easy to put on, except in windy weather, where two people make it easier.
    I usually do not go over my front box and instead tuck it to cover the battery shutoff and that is it.
    Has zippers to access passenger door and rear hatch.

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

We will definitely look into that one to cover our Tag.

The Classic Accessories covers are a steal relative to the PahaQue covers. Even if you need to replace them every couple of years.

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Well, to simplify the whole ordeal, we decided to purchase a 12x20x8 Heavy Duty Round Top Shelter under which to park our TAG. The round top will do a bit better with our snow load than the standard version (although, we will still need to clear the top of snow). Been wanting to buy one of these for quite some time now. Had a good sale come up so we jumped at it.

NuCamp tech said to wash the panels with water. If you feel the need to use soap, use liquid dish soap (without additives) and rinse thoroughly.