Options

First night and running into a couple issues.... help?

packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

My internet here isn't very good, comes and goes so I have having issues searching and reading, so please forgive the possible "asked and answered"...

1) My F150 has a built in 2k generator. When I have the generator running and attached to the trailer, the AC RFI keeps tripping - even with nothing plugged in to any of the outlet. If I reset it, it stays for a couple seconds and pops. I have a standard plug adapter to the 120v outlet in my truck. I tried to call my dealer and in between cutting in and out he said I might need a surge protector?

2) While on battery power none of the AC outlets work - I was under the impression that I had an inverter that would power those outlets on battery power? I am asking as wondering if this is related to the above? Everything worked fine while parked in my garage and powered to the home outlet. I cannot recall if I tested running my Alpicool only on battery power, but when I got to the camp site I noticed the cooler had no power.

3) I had tried to fill my water tank using a filter and my hose at home, but did not know how to tell when the tank was filled. Despite what I thought was a lot of water going into the tank, I only got a gallon or two and now I'm dry. I need to find some instructions on filling the water tank apparently.

On a side note, I purchase a WeBoost Drive Reach RV unit to improve cell phone coverage in this area that I know has a strange lighthouse effect where you get about a minute of 4G, then it cycles to 3G, then 1X and out for several more minutes. Considering trying the Connect RV since this Drive Reach is going back.

I would appreciate any help someone might offer on the AC issue since I can only power my Alpicool while inside the truck with it running using the AC outlets.

Comments

• Options

I think I answered my own question about power - that the cooler has to use the DC adapter for power as the 110 volts only work when connected to electrical. (Now to find that adapter, lol).

However, that the generator from my F150 keeps tripping the RFI is still an issue.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174

Open the door under the sink and you'll be able to see the level in the water tank as it fills. The larger hole on the left is for filling the tank. It's threaded for the cap not for a hose connection. The smaller connector on the right is for shore water; it has a standard garden hose connector. As for the RFI? How are you connecting the Ford generator to the T@G? Does the Ford gen have a 30A connector? If not, are you using a 15AM to 30AF Adapter and then the T@G shore power cable? Get a 115V circuit tester that indicates wiring faults and check the output from your generator. Maybe there's a wire crossed somewhere. If your gen has a 30A connector, you might get this Camco Circuit Analyzer to check the polarity. Probably ought to have one anyway to check shore power at campsites before you plug in. Walmart or Amazon http://www.camco.net/rv-electrical-protection/power-grip-circuit-analyzer-30amp-plug-type-125v-55310

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options

I have a 15 amp to 30 amp plug adaptor. I'll check to see if I can find a tester from a neighbor at the campsite

I think the issue is I connected the house to the connector on the right and not the left to fill the tank. ugh.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

Is there a 15A output on the truck generator to connect to directly? I would guess/bet that is better than connecting to a supposed 15A outlet farther down the line in the trucks wiring. Hopefully that made sense.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@ras said:
    Open the door under the sink and you'll be able to see the level in the water tank as it fills. The larger hole on the left is for filling the tank. It's threaded for the cap not for a hose connection. The smaller connector on the right is for shore water; it has a standard garden hose connector. As for the RFI? How are you connecting the Ford generator to the T@G? Does the Ford gen have a 30A connector? If not, are you using a 15AM to 30AF Adapter and then the T@G shore power cable? Get a 115V circuit tester that indicates wiring faults and check the output from your generator. Maybe there's a wire crossed somewhere. If your gen has a 30A connector, you might get this Camco Circuit Analyzer to check the polarity. Probably ought to have one anyway to check shore power at campsites before you plug in. Walmart or Amazon http://www.camco.net/rv-electrical-protection/power-grip-circuit-analyzer-30amp-plug-type-125v-55310

Might want to double check and make sure the tank draining plug is closed. It sits in front of the tank. Just fyi, even with the tongue jacked all the way up, you can't drain all the water out.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options

I ended up coming back a day early due to weather... on my front doorstep is the ems-pt30x surge protector with digital readout.

I plugged into the house outlet and all was fine, no errors and I had power at outlets... so i fired up the f150 and turned on the generator..

I'm getting an "open ground" error on the surge protector while attached to the f150 generator. the surge protector won't let any power through to the trailer. so I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

In hindsight I wasn't fully prepared by getting just a 2k generator in the truck..I have a wen 2k inverter generator and bought a second with a 30amp serial connector. that will work and the truck is there in a pinch.

I also learned that using your 5.0 v8 truck as a generator gets expensive in gas. going back to using portable.