Options

Security at Dispersed Camping areas

DCN082162DCN082162 Member Posts: 26

We are planning a trip in a few weeks and have reservations at 2 New Mexico State parks. I feel comfortable leaving my T@G at a state park using a hitch lock. But we are planning to do some dispersed camping in the national forest. I have some concern about leaving the T@G unattended in that sort of environment because access is not controlled. Am I just being paranoid? My plan would be to use hitch lock and use a another motorcycle lock (Master lock Cuff) around the wheel. So someone would probably have to drag the trailer away. Of course doors and windows would be secured. What are yalls experiences with dispersed camping, generally pretty secure?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I initially missed the word "New" in New Mexico. You sould be fine. Put your stablizers down and maybe leave out two chairs, etc. If gone for an extended period, I play inside the trailer (using a usb power block) a mp3 file that I created that loops after the 30+ hours. (Combination of sports, south park, etc.) Play loud enought so it can be heard nearby outside. Makes it as if someone is in the trailer.

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited June 2021

I was heading there (Lincoln National) next week but seems trails and such are closed where I was going and no campfires. I gotta call ranger stations tomorrow to see whats going on.

We haven’t had a problem in the Forrest of NM and I don’t lock anything not even doors.I put valuables in my jobsite truck box when I leave camp.

I don’t lock any of my camps because crowbar damage sucks !

Update: Seems closed from Forrest fires. I talked to a friend that lives there. At least two of my pretty spots are burnt up.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

thieves don't roam remote fire roads looking for trailers

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@beaky said:
    thieves don't roam remote fire roads looking for trailers

But unfortunetly, some opportunist just look for things outside and inside trailers! 🤣

• Options

Thanks for the heads up Johnny, I have some phone calls to make.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Free yourself from worrying over possessions.

Insurance & Jesus

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited June 2021

@JohnnyLoco said:
    Free yourself from worrying over possessions.

Insurance & Jesus

Amen! 😊

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I am using two security devices when away from camp: a hitch lock and a wheel lock. I am less concerned with someone driving off with the trailer as I am with someone breaking in and stealing things inside. I usually leave a radio on inside so it sounds like someone is inside. You can get a simple battery operated radio for that purpose. We won't usually be away from camp in the night hours, but like beaky said, I don't think people are wandering forest roads looking to rip off a camper, let alone at night. While I am in camp, nothing beats a good rifle and a Glock 26 for perimeter defense. If we are camping in a state that allows it, we open carry when at camp to discourage any potential thieves looking to impose their will on unsuspecting boondockers.

• Options
    edited June 2021

“ I am less concerned with someone driving off with the trailer as I am with someone breaking in and stealing things inside.”

Boy I’ve heard that many times and the trailer (door & window) damage from crow bars is a pain in the butt.

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Years ago (maybe20 or more) I went to my first totally state " primative"rendevous. Mountain Man reenactment thing. No modern post 1840 camps, clothes etc allowed. Checking out others camps, there lying on a pre 1840 chest is a Ruger Blackhawk hand cannon.Reckon the man was afraid of the bears and big cats there about. I have yet to see or hear of a theft at these gatherings. Just sayin .... Very Old Camper with wandering mind here.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

I have not looked at this forum for awhile and somehow I stumbled on to my own post. One question for some of the responders, how does your gun help you when you leave you trailer unattended at at a dispersed camping site?

• Options
    GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76

@beaky, are you suggesting that shooting someone is a reasonable response to a burglary or vandalism? Most any DA would love to prosecute that one.

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

Vandalisbm, no. But burglary, in the act of it, is. If you are in your RV, and someone forcibly enters while you are inside, you have every right to defend yourself (in most states). You have to KNOW what the law is in your particular camping area. Florida has a "Stand Your Ground" law, otherwise known as the Castle Doctrine. Since an RV is an extension of your home, you have every right to lawfully defend your home and person against someone committing a felony (as burglary is in most states) against you. Not knowing their intentions FOR the break-in enacts the stand your ground laws. But someone is simply damaging your property then deadly force is NOT justified.

• Options

Have there been a significant number of "home invasions" in occupied teardrop trailers? Perhaps I've missed it. Bringing a firearm along seems to me to be an exercise in solving a problem that doesn't exist.

My first concern with leaving the camper unattended, whether in the boonies or a campground, is theft - solar panel, furniture, canoe... Second is the theft of the entire rig. I take common sense preventive precautions and don't fret about either much.

As far as personal danger to the two of us, I see driving to be the much greater threat. 40,000+ deaths per year in the U.S., 4,000,000+ injuries, 13,000,000+ instances of property damage.

• Options
    DinOregonDinOregon Member Posts: 12

Once I was tent-camping in backwoods Oregon. I went for a hike, and when I came back two guys were loading my camp chair and table into the back of a pickup. They backed down quickly enough when I showed up (with my big black dog, who is about as dangerous as a bunny rabbit) and gave me back my stuff. ("We thought it was abandoned stuff" was the excuse.)

Lots of guns in rural New Mexico; I hear gunfire every time I go hiking in the Dona Ana Mtns. You really wouldn't want to menace somebody with a firearm unless you were planning to leave the area before they could come back with their own arsenal and some friends. Very, very unlikely that they would do that unless they're crazy, but I'd rather de-escalate than take the chance.

Speaking of crazy, you may have read about this: a guy ran for the state legislature in New Mexico in 2022, lost in a landslide, and hired a couple of nuts to drive around after dark and shoot into the houses of those he blamed for his loss. Then he decided they weren't shooting low enough to hit somebody in a bed, so he started doing the shooting himself.

Sheesh.

• Options

Solomon Peña was his name. Shouldn't have been on the ballot by state law since he'd done seven years for theft in a big "smash and grab" incident. He claimed the election had stolen. He's a guest of the state again.

• Options
    DinOregonDinOregon Member Posts: 12

@GulfCoast: Yep, and he's likely going to be a guest of the state for quite a long time.

Not implying that any substantial percentage of recreational shooters are dangerous. Just saying that it's better to offer a peacemaking beer than wave a Colt "peacemaker" around.