How Cold is TOO Cold?

Hi-
Was planning on staying in my 2022 T@G XL this weekend but the temperature is supposed to dip down to -7ish at night. I would be plugged in to shore power to run the heater. I know the manual says it isn't advised in freezing weather. I'm curious tho, why not? It's well insulated and such a small space that the heater should keep it warm. Last week I stayed in it in 22-23 degree weather and it was fine.

Comments

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

To state the obvious, I hope you will have the water drained, LOL. And then you really just need to remember to ventilate a little to allow the condensation from your breath out of that small space. I've done down to about 10.....and was fine, but negative anything is a whole new world! Might want to offer some insulation to the battery now that I think of it. Post back how it goes!

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• jaredflahertyjaredflaherty Member Posts: 16

@zgfiredude said:
    To state the obvious, I hope you will have the water drained, LOL. And then you really just need to remember to ventilate a little to allow the condensation from your breath out of that small space. I've done down to about 10.....and was fine, but negative anything is a whole new world! Might want to offer some insulation to the battery now that I think of it. Post back how it goes!

i don't have any water in it. i probably will never even use the water storage. i won't have the battery on. i think as long as i have it plugged in and running the heat for a few hours, it will keep warm enough.

• GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76

People camp in tents in sub-zero temperatures. Inside a T@G with a heater running and some warm covers or a good sleeping bag, things will be fine. Ventilate enough to remove the moisture from respiration and enjoy the adventure.

• jaredflahertyjaredflaherty Member Posts: 16

@GulfCoast said:
    People camp in tents in sub-zero temperatures. Inside a T@G with a heater running and some warm covers or a good sleeping bag, things will be fine. Ventilate enough to remove the moisture from respiration and enjoy the adventure.

thanks... ya, i have a down comforter in there and a nice thick dormeo mattress topper. for those that have a tag xl, the rv short king from dormeo is almost a perfect fit. it is 72 X 75, so it is just about an inch wide on both sides but it works great.

• Pup7Pup7 Member Posts: 14

I just towed my T@g from Seattle to Anchorage back in November. I spent two nights in it as I drove across Yukon because hotels were either full or closed, and I really had no other choice. It was about -10F each night, I was plugged in to shore power, and I did just fine with the heater and a couple of blankets with the fan running. Made coffee and oatmeal each morning and ate inside the trailer. I had no issues. :)

2022 T@g Boondock 5WTV: 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness

• albutzeralbutzer Member Posts: 23

Just got back from winter storm camping in West Texas, plugged in heater and electric blanket. Temperature was 11 degrees F, got too hot and had to turn off the heater. Tip of the day, make coffee the night before and put in a good thermos for AM.
    AB

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited March 2023

I have a Keurig coffee maker inside. Doghouse heater installed, and Cabelas Outfitter XL bags firt perfect in an XL

• shelleymcc64shelleymcc64 Member Posts: 4

Electric blankets are awesome. We have two twin electric blankets and believe it or not, we have needed them in central Texas. Our dog loves to lay on it!

• packetjunkiepacketjunkie Member Posts: 72

My experience has been the opposite, except I didn't have the benefit of shore power - towards the end of the seasons last year around Halloween it was down into the 20s at night. Without any insulation, despite trying to warm up the trailer with the built-in heater (which killed my battery in the process) the temp dropped within an hour to basically what it was outside. I had two heavy Ugg blankets and while I was okay if I didn't move, man, it was cold. I wouldn't do that again without something more definitive that I wouldn't be so cold all night.