Options

Propane Tank Delete

I'm seriously considering modding my stove to use the smaller and easier to use (and refill) 1lb propane bottles. My initial idea is to put/connect the bottle under the sink and get rid of the big bulky 20lb tank off of the tongue. I'm pretty sure the existing line goes behind the microwave, so I will have to deal with that.
Has anyone done this or have any opinions?

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks,
Greg
2017 Little Guy XL MAX Outback Ed.
1st TV 2015 MB GL450
2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5
3rd TV 1999 Ford F350 7.3l diesel

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Gregg,
    I am a big fan of ditching the 20lb tank and have done that on my T@G. Previous to moving up from my LG to the T@G I switched up on my Little Guy from the 1 lb to a 5 lb bottle. The convenience of the 1lb cylinder was nice but I found that they were not able to run my kitchen in cold weather. It would take much longer to cook anything and a full 1 lb bottle wouldn't boil water at all. Since going to a 5 lb cylinder I've had zero problems even in sub-freezing weather. If you only camp in warm (over 40 degree) temps the small bottles work great. Just something to consider...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

A majority of my camping is done above 40 degrees, so that should not be much of an issue.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I always worry about refuelli g 1lbs bottle. They are not made for this. I have seen new ones that were leeking after removing them from a lantern. Found out that my plastic tote would smell propane once I would reopen it after storage.

Refuling means reusing a vavle that only shut by loaded spring.

And for what it is worth, it is supposed to be illegal to refill them. But that is an other story.

I am like William. If I make the switch, I will transplant my 5 lbs bottle that I use on my off raod trailer to my T@G.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Greg...My 2015 SS came plumbed for lpg the way you want to do it. Works fine. However, you MUST remember to remove the canister before departing. I have a 5lb tank as well but use it for the little red campfire

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    WilliWilli Member Posts: 22

I switched from the 20# tank to the 1#. Haven’t had any issues with the changes. Regarding below 40 degrees..... I would not be camping! Lol

Fort Myers FL.
    2015 T@G Max

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Our bottle regulator screws right on the appliance regulator under the stove. Add a 1 lb adapter and a bottle stand and you're good to go.

• Options
    Otis_60Otis_60 Member Posts: 37

Thanks for all the comments. I think I am going to go ahead with this.

Thanks,
    Greg
    1st TV 2015 MB GL450
    2nd TV 2016 Mazda CX-5

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

Regardless of what you do, make sure you vent the area as propane is heavier than air and will settle into a confined space and can ignite if a source or spark or static electricity occurs.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    BillyTBillyT Member Posts: 2

@tagurit said:
    Our bottle regulator screws right on the appliance regulator under the stove. Add a 1 lb adapter and a bottle stand and you're good to go.

do I still use the regulator from the factory? or is the one in your picture another one?

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

I also deleted the 20lb tank and switched to a 1 lb tank, but just used an adapter and keep it in the tongue box.

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Awesome twin batteries in series setup!

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@Lightningdon said:
    I also deleted the 20lb tank and switched to a 1 lb tank, but just used an adapter and keep it in the tongue box.

Looks like my Boondock as well. Easy mod (propane). Just a tip to anyone doing the change.... the mod itself is about a zero on a scale from one to ten. Just be careful that you remove the 1lb cylinder from the adapter not the adapter from the 20lb tank connector. Accidentally did that once and a lot of very cold propane came jetting out, dislodging a rubber seal..I made the mistake of thinking the seal went on the 20lb connector side and couldn’t get a cylinder to seal. Turns out that seal goes in the adapter. Once I put it in the right place it was back to perfect.

Come to think of it, I should tape the 20lb tank connector to the adaptor to ensure I don’t make that mistake again.....

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay