Kind hearted suggestions to NuCamp

I love my T@G Outback XL. There really are so many fantastic features and it's at a reasonable price point. But.....even the best of things can be improved. Here are my suggested improvements, please mark yours down as well (but make sure to include the model and year of your trailer).

2018 T@G XL Boondock
1. Should be easy: Laminate the weather-proofing fabric underneath the trailer. Under mine it's basically held on by the frame and is loose across the middle. As an engineer, I know anything that moves gets wear. Just laminate it on to help eliminate this wear. When it leaks some day, it really will be a problem.
2. Should be easy: raise the fire extinguisher about six inches. As it is, it will interfere with my standard mattress when I lift it for storage access.
3. Should be easy: Add a volt meter. It really should be standard equipment.
4. Next major remodel: Make the total trailer about six inches longer. Put three of it in the kitchen and three of it in the shelves/cabinets next to the TV in the cabin. Both really could use a bit more space.
5. Should be easy: Bolt the propane tank holder instead of welding it on. A lot of people are going to want two 6v battery solution to increase available power. It's a PIA to cut the brackets off.
6. Next major remodel: redo the fenders. I know it's a Boondock edition but it looks too industrial and not super stylish like a teardrop naturally is. Go w/ a 30's style shaped fender. It's just the right thing to do.
7. Should be easy: Make your standard offering for XL without a microwave. Some folks like it, but with so little storage space, it takes up a lot more space than it's worth.
8. Should be easy: Direct wire the fridge with heavy wire.
9. Next major remodel: better tank drainage. The way it's currently configured, piping takes up a lot of unnecessary space. With a teardrop, space is a premium. It'd also be nice to have some type of shelving in the cabinetry that protects drain valve and other plumbing parts.
10. When you get a chance to pressure your supplier: Get them to add a starter to the stove. Hard to believe it doesn't come with one as all stoves inevitably need to be lit. While we're on the stove, it should also come with a wind protection ring as well (though it wasn't difficult to do).
11. Should be easy: There's storage in the head rest area via sliding doors. Put finger holes on both ends of the doors to make it easier to open. I keep sliding too far and likely not alone in it.
12. Should be easy: It would be nice to add access holes for solar in the tub. It would make it easy for those who add solar in the future (not to mention make standard production for all tubs including those getting the solar options up front.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
Jay

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

You have some interesting ideas. Check out some of the mods done here on this forum and on the T@B forum, too. We have some great owners who definitely challenge themselves to figure out how to make the mods to make their T@G’s their own.

But, @Fourman110, nüCamp doesn’t necessarily read the forums. If you email this to tech@nüCamprv.com, it will get passed along to the R&D department. But, you may not see the suggestions for a couple of years because the 2020 models have already been put on paper since the new models are produced beginning May 1st of every year.

The solar ports were discontinued because there are so many different ways to connect the solar panels, by the way.

I have a friend who purchased an LP stove with an igniter, along with a second one for another friend. The igniters quit after a couple of months. Maybe nüCamp knows something we don’t.

The RVIA has a say do in how the Norcolds must be wired.

The retro fiberglass fenders I had on my Silver Shadow Teardrop would never have held up off the road. The diamond plate shows fewer dings and cracks than fiberglass. I agree the traditional fiberglass sweeping fender “make” the retro look.

I’m sure RVIA has something to say about how the propane tanks needs to be attached during manufacture.

Volt meter? Which one? There are so many different kinds and price ranges. Mine is $192 on Amazon. How many people want to pay $300 installed for a good voltage meter. How many people wouldn’t want the $10 one from Walmart?

These are just my thoughts after owning a 4x8 Teardrop, a 5x10 Silver Shadow Teardrop, a T@B S Max and now a T@B 400 Boondock Lite. Each served their purposes, each were/are great and I wouldn’t trade any of the modifications I made on each of them.

• MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

It's kind of interesting, you can get rid of the TV and its bracket, the AC, and the 12V cooler ( I assume the fridge) but not the microwave. I've got my heart fairly set on a 2019 Boondock Edge XL and not sure how much that Microwave is going to get used.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

@Martog, I chose not to have a microwave in my new T@B 400. I camp without electricity most of the winter in the Southwest, and since I will be living full time in the 400, I need the storage space more than the microwave.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

Thanks for the comments Verna. Anything you’d add to the list?

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

Thanks , @Fourman110, but I’m very happy with my 4 week old T@B 400.

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited August 2018

Fourman110... I think all your comments are great. Thanks for sharing. We all have great ideas for these trailers. The mods I have seen over the years are awsome. Not everybody gets defensive when presented with the mod possibilities and engineering on these Little Guys so keep on keeping on.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

@TomD, I hope I didn’t appear to be defensive with my comments above. I love making mods and seeing the mods that become standard on future models.

Being an Admin, I know the factory personnel don’t have time to read every post, so it is best for suggestions to be sent along to the person who can get the suggestions to the correct department.

Keep on with the suggestions. I really do like to see them.

• MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@Verna said:
    @Martog, I chose not to have a microwave in my new T@B 400. I camp without electricity most of the winter in the Southwest, and since I will be living full time in the 400, I need the storage space more than the microwave.

Honestly it's better probably than the one in my kitchen haha, I may just pull it out and stick it in there. I don't think on the T@G it can be removed when ordering the XL. I've seen the 2019 option sheet for the XL's and that was not an option to remove from the trailer.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• SteveVSteveV Member Posts: 5

@Martog said:

I've seen the 2019 option sheet for the XL's and that was not an option to remove from the trailer.

You are correct that it is not a written option, however, I have a '19 XL Edge on order (take delivery in 3 weeks! Can't wait!!) and we told our dealership that we didn't want the microwave because we hardly even use the one in our house. When the dealership contacted NuCamp for the order, they said yes they could omit the microwave and would factory install cabinet doors in it's place. I guess you just have to ask. I'll post pics of our new "XL Galley Storage" once we take delivery.

Steve
    2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    Huntsville, AL

• blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 23

It would REALLY be nice if they used some loctite on the cabinet handles!!

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I'd like to see a TV with multiple HDMI inputs, eliminate the microwave in exchange for a flat top range and more under cabinet storage in the galley, and an A/C and heater combo unit with a thermostat. I wouldn't change the size of the T@g. If you start adding inches here and there you're blurring the lines with the T@b and the whole reason people buy the T@g is for the size, ease of towing, and light weight.

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

I second the flat top range and AC/heat combo.
    Having a head unit that can use bluetooth speakers would be nice too.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

our XL came without the microwave. the fenders are what makes the thing, check out the competition from Oregon Trailers TerreDrop or ColoradoTearDrops. I just wish you could stand on the fenders. the only thing I would eliminate is the TV which is ludicrous in a boondocking rig aimed at folks who spend the day shredding single track and hammering microbrews by the fire.

• JumperJumper Member Posts: 70

I totally agree with making the fenders structural so you can stand on them to access the rack.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited October 2018

@beaky said:
    our XL came without the microwave. the fenders are what makes the thing, check out the competition from Oregon Trailers TerreDrop or ColoradoTearDrops. I just wish you could stand on the fenders. the only thing I would eliminate is the TV which is ludicrous in a boondocking rig aimed at folks who spend the day shredding single track and hammering microbrews by the fire.

I'm curious as to how many trailers these folks (above) build a year? I think with nuCamp they know their target market and since they are located and build their units deep in the midwest it is a niche market if you will, they appeal to a select market of people and build for that arena. They are the largest teardrop manufacturer in the world, they offer up varying models, truck camper line, etc. and build the T@B 400 lite which is an off road unit with amenities. I would agree that standing on a fender might be a plus, but IMHO don't believe it's a necessity for every user. And let me add that my comments aren't intended to sound argumentative, just an opinion here. Bottom line, NC could easily build such a unit that would afford such an amenity but am guessing they don't because they build a ton of units, it would require some build/assembly/fabrication changes and probably doesn't add a lot to what they are currently trying to achieve in their scheme of production/assembly and their existing market base.

The smaller off-road teardrops are well suited for the west coast market with mountain/desert terrain and the Oregon/Colorado manufacturers probably are very popular and do a lucrative business as a result. I do like the look of some of these units and know that nuCamp has built similar demo units (for Little Guy) like them in the past that looked more military and off road than their current line of T@G's, etc. Another issue is that it increases the cost of the trailers and as noted above, they appeal to a select number of individuals and market.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2018

If I made a suggestion, it would be to join the various forums to work with a single login. I tire of the process and, no, it won't keep you logged in. If I log in to T@B, it boots my T@G login etc...
    Maybe I have too many forums.....
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Rb1274Rb1274 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2019

I saw the new 2020 T@G XL on You Tube the other day and they are getting rid of the fridge in place of a Yeti. I am looking to get a T@G next year. Is this a good thing or bad thing....Thoughts?

I like the Yeti idea but its only good for 4 days before the water level goes way up.

Do not like the drop ceiling panel, my wife and I are 6' and already hit our heads on stuff

• Rb1274Rb1274 Member Posts: 5

Ceiling panel is a concern for me as well...

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Rb1274 said:
    I saw the new 2020 T@G XL on You Tube the other day and they are getting rid of the fridge in place of a Yeti. I am looking to get a T@G next year. Is this a good thing or bad thing....Thoughts?

I had seen that too on the new 2020 I looked at a few weeks ago. That's a head-scratcher for me. I can't imagine why anyone would rather have a cooler than a fridge. I personally love my fridge and we get along famously. True to say it has less capacity than the cooler, but I have a cooler too. Having looked at the Yeti coolers around retail shops, I have to say that while they are nice, they aren't THAT nice.....Spendy for what you get. They are also quite heavy. I'll stick with my fridge, thank you....
    I guess I didn't get inside the new T@G so I didn't really notice the ceiling panel. I do very much like the new cabinet color...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• JayJay Member Posts: 71

I love my fridge as well. My wife and I tented camped until we bought our first 2019 T&G XL this spring. We rented one last year for a week long trip and found the fridge to be enough for food, juice and eggs. We used a cooler for drinks. When we tent camped, I got tired of buying over priced ICE just to keep food only cool not cold. When it's 80F plus outside, see how well that Yeti keeps food cold. Love the speaker placement, they must be better than the stock ceiling ones. Wood colour is nice. Drop ceiling seems to create indirect lighting. The new LED strip at the headboard seems to do the same. Not sure we will use the over head lighting much.

• LindinLindin Member Posts: 2

i agree the yeti is a step backwards

• larry64801larry64801 Member Posts: 12

I like my fridge, should at least be an option.

2018 T@G XL

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

If you came from tent camping....the “fridge” is huge. I love my Norcold in the 2015 SS.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV