Options

Burner goes out on stove

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 9
This discussion was created from comments split from: battery ah.

Comments

• Options
    papapapa Member Posts: 15

On windy days the burners are effected. Does anyone have remedy
    For this issue. I don’t want the flame to go out...
    Thanks

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Under "Cabinet and Galley mods" there are a few suggestions for this problem.
    http://teardrop-trailers.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/277/cabinet-and-galley-mods

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Your best bet is to head over to Lowe's or Home Depot, pick up some small aluminum squares and duct tape them along the edges and build a small wind break of sorts. I use one I made with 8 squares and it folds up like an accordion. I use a Coleman fold up stove and used tin snips to cut a small groove in the aluminum to allow the assembly to be placed over the gas supply pipe. I have a carrying case for the stove and the portable aluminum wind wall fits nicely inside for the next trip out!

Similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Plates-Folding-Camping-Windshield/dp/B00D5Q2V8K/ref=br_lf_m_7x8d3zfv5e2p77n_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden

Also, if you use the search function above there is added information on this as it was discussed in depth by others. There is another means of accomplishing this and I believe it is more efficient too. Someone will add to this discussion and provide a link to it.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2018

Having "borrowed" LuckyJ's awesome stove wind deflector and used it, I find it one of the best, cheapest and easiest mods yet. I used 1 1/2" aluminum...
    CORRECTED! THIS IS ACTUALLY 2" TALL! :)
    for mine which resulted in the top of the windscreen sticking up above the burner deck. That's fine, until you try to use a pan larger than the diameter of the burner shield. I resolved to solve the problem and came up with an easy solution.

I picked up a 12 inch piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing, cut it to length and pop-riveted it to the lip of the burner shield with 3/16" aluminum rivets. I also drilled a tiny (1/16") hole in the tubing underneath to act as a pressure relief.

Now my frying pan and kettle sit nice and secure without acrobatics.
    I might add a couple more but for now, I'm happy with it.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    PuppersPuppers Member Posts: 2

WilliamA, I love what you did with the piece you fabricated for a wind block. Are you making these for the rest of us? I am very interested and definitely need one. Thanks!

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@Puppers said:
    WilliamA, I love what you did with the piece you fabricated for a wind block. Are you making these for the rest of us? I am very interested and definitely need one. Thanks!

It’s actually a pretty easy mod to make. I used 1” x 1/8” aluminum bar stock from menards. It leaves about 1/8” gap between the guard and the burner, knocking down the air flow but keeping the kettle/pan close to the burner. I used my wood working bench vise to make the bends but some 2x4 scraps could sandwich the metal for the bends. Just trap it between two pieces of wood, clamp and pull th metal by hand. Make one dimension a little under size and the other dimension a little over size and it will be a tighter fit to the burner grates. Overlap the ends. Pick a sheet metal screw, then drill a pilot hole just smaller than the screw threads through the overlap. On the outside part of the overlap, widen the hole larger than the screw diameter then inset and tighten the screw.

Sounds harder than it is. Easy peasy.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

William...start taking orders. There are no substitutes or knockoffs “yet” that meet the standard. :s

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@TomD said:

William...start taking orders. There are no substitutes or knockoffs “yet” that meet the standard. :s

Well, he as a copy of the original. But the thing is, I do not want to keep a patent of the thing. I want it to be public domain and would even push my luck to say that if someone decide to start selling them, they would be sold for cost, not for profit. Lol

I even saw one copy made from stainless strip. Looked really nice. :)

• Options

I would be happy to make a few. I'll have to make a plywood bending pattern so they will be more consistent than hand bending. I'd need to know if folks want a 1" height or 1 1/2". The difference is important in that the 1" is level to the burner and will fit a larger diameter pan. I will only make them in aluminum as stainless is spendy and a pain in the a$$ to drill and cut. If I can sell them for a million dollars each I'll only make 1. Otherwise I'll make them for material plus shipping plus $10 bucks each. I learned a long time ago never to make anything for free or folks will work me half to death...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    TonopahTonopah Member Posts: 33

WilliamA: I'm in for one. One and one half inch height should do fine!

2019 5' wide Boondock Edge w/ factory solar

• Options

@Tonopah said:
    WilliamA: I'm in for one. One and one half inch height should do fine!

I'm on it...First come, first served...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited November 2018

I got my bending buck made up this afternoon and ran to town for enough material to make 3 windshields. I got the first one put together. I'll do 2 more on Wednesday. Material cost for each is about $12.00 or so. I've no idea what shipping is but suspect it will go through USPS for not too much. I'll find out tomorrow when I ship this one.

Specs for this one are sized to fit X 1 1/2" tall, which puts it slightly above the burner grate height. I should mention that my T@G is a 2017 model. I don't know if there are different stoves out there but it might not be a bad idea to measure length and width.
    My own is a bit taller yet, but there are plus's and minus's to each. Also, mine is a tighter fit around the small burner as I made it to pretty much fit my expresso maker. This one is more or less square on both ends for a more generic fit's-all approach.

The process looks pretty rudimentary because it is. The difficult part is getting the thing square and tight without any distortion.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited November 2018

Good work on the jig. Doing an other one of making more, I would do it like that or realy close to that. :)

Take the time to show that you have some for sale on the T@B forum, (since some are on it and I think it can be use on some of the 320, also on the original Little guy forum, same reason and also on the many facebook page.

You might not be able to travel this winter with all the work coming your way. :)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

Nice work William! I can see a MIG welder in your future! =)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    edited November 2018

I’m in for one. I would like the 1-1/2 inch with pop rivet bar. Do you sign the system with a scribe? Only kidding (sort of). PM me and let me know the $. Thanks. Also..thanks very much to LuckuJ for the awsome mod idea.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

TomD,
    Just sent one out this morning via USPS. Price with shipping is $32.65. I will ship tomorrow or Wednesday if you PM me with an address closer than "down...then over". Postal worker types are funny about details...

MMike,
    Nonononononononononono. No wanna.... I'm dangerous...and busy enough...as it is... Lol
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I got 2 more shields made up this morning and am shipping one of them this afternoon. Thanks TomD and Tonopah!

Kathy is picking up enough material for 3 more so I made up the shipping boxes over lunch.
    I made up a box pattern so it's quicker to package these guys.

Puppers asked me about the difference between the 1 1/2" high and 2" high shields. The 1 1/2" is very close to the same height as the burner grill so it will be, overall, a better pick for fitting the largest number of pots and pans. It's also not tall enough to require the crossbar like the one shown on my own, which is the 2" version. For the "production" shield, I tried to make it more generic and adaptable so I also squared off both ends, as opposed to my own which is pinched on the small burner end. I did that for two reasons: First, the pinched end means a 36" piece of aluminum is exactly long enough. Second, I wanted the small burner to wrap tightly to my small espresso maker. If the coffee pot were any larger, it wouldn't fit or would fit but higher above the shield. All of this has proven to be rather a head scratcher as there are many variables and it's impossible to make one thing that fits them all.

I also modified the design from my own and the first 2 I made with the plywood buck. The first two have and overlapping seam on the end, popriveted together in a simple joint. I've since modified the design to include an end piece that poprivets to both ends and looks rather more like a belt buckle. It's also a bit easier to control overall length within the plywood buck if I do it this way. The design change has no effect whatever on the function. It just makes them easier to put together in the jig.

I'll post a photo of the new design when I get another one made up. The two I just finished are already packed for shipping....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited November 2018

I made up 2 more windshields this afternoon. I've made 6 so far and 2 have been shipped with 1 pending confirmation. That leaves 3 left in this batch. I bought up all the 1 1/2" aluminum stock available locally, so it may be a week or so before I can get more without spending a fortune at hardware store prices.

I'll polish these up and box them.
    First come, first served...
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Nice work.

You should have a sticker made for your T@G, advertiseing them. Carrying some with you on trips! Lol

• Options
    edited November 2018

Ha ha ha! You wiped out the local hardware store supply confusing the owner as to why a sudden run on the aluminum stock. He’ll order twice as much for replacement next go around to cover the new demand but doesn’t know you’ll be moving on. It’s sooooo hard runnning a business these days. :s

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

@WilliamA, looks like our clamshell Tab has the same stove. This would be a nice addition. I see a cottage industry here. Maybe you should see if nuCamp is interested. A TaB forum member designed a removable jack specific to the TaB jack and they were sold on the TearDropShop website. I think this is one of those ideas!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    @WilliamA, looks like our clamshell Tab has the same stove. This would be a nice addition. I see a cottage industry here.

God, I hope not...

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@TomD said:
    Ha ha ha! You wiped out the local hardware store supply confusing the owner as to why a sudden run on the aluminum stock. He’ll order twice as much for replacement next go around to cover the new demand but doesn’t know you’ll be moving on. It’s sooooo hard runnning a business these days. :s

Tom,
    Conversation at a hardware store:
    Me: "you got any more of those 1/4" button head bolts?"
    Him: "Na, we were always out and so many people complained that we stopped carrying them."

sigh......

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

:o

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

have the material ready to go...saw this at uCamp18...as "she" is in hibernation mode...it will be tackled in the spring...looks great William!

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    JmsJms Member Posts: 50

WilliamA, are you still making windscreens on an as-asked-for basis? If so, I’d be interested in one. Thanks!

• Options

@Jms said:
    WilliamA, are you still making windscreens on an as-asked-for basis? If so, I’d be interested in one. Thanks!

I have 2 left. I could send 1 by the weekend.
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Sold! Please let me know how to send payment. I messaged you my address. Thanks!

• Options

@Jms said:
    Sold! Please let me know how to send payment. I messaged you my address. Thanks!

I am down at my oldest son's in Madison, Wi for a couple days hangin' and having my computer repaired at the Apple store (again) so as soon as I get back I will get it out in the mail. I'll PM you with payment instructions....
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Sounds good. Thanks. We recently had to have the bloated battery in our 3 year old MacBook Pro replaced. $300! Ouch!