Items shifting in galley during travel

JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Hello everyone. My wife and I are just starting out with our new T@g XL, and we just brought it home today! After we got home (about 150 mile trip), I raised the back and found that the cutting board, cook top pot holder, and microwave rotating tray had all jostled around and were no longer in their rightful places. My question is, do you remove all of these items and store them for travel? I didn't think about it before driving; I just assumed that they would stay relatively in place. Thanks!

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

The TaBs and TaGs do not have suspensions, so there is a lot of motion going over bumps. Best to secure everything for travel.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Our T@G has a torsion axle, I believe they all do, can't imagine how it would ride without a suspension.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I use the microwave for storage, putting towels around anything heavy or breakable. On the shelf, I wrap coffee cups with dish towels. All pots go into the cabinet on some shelves I built for stacking and protecting the plumbing.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

We pack the microwave with dry good during transport. That prevents the plate inside from jostling around. We also have a Keurig we set on top of the cutting board that stays put (because of the shape of the hatch it has no wiggle room).

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited November 2018

@Jms said:
    My question is, do you remove all of these items and store them for travel? I didn't think about it before driving; I just assumed that they would stay relatively in place. Thanks!

Yes, best to store things in a manner where they will not break and roll around during transport. Something I would do with a smaller teardrop during travel was to store things in a plastic tub with a sealable top. Wrap glass items in towels to protect them from breakage, things like cups, glasses, glass bottles, etc. Also, ensure that you place a blanket or towel on counter top to keep from marring counter top and also do it in a manner that keeps the plastic tub from banging against the sides and galley top. I know of a few people including myself who punctured the thin skin in the galley by accidentally closing the galley door and forgetting to remove a protruding item on the shelf. One guy I know punched a hole through his galley door when he forgot he'd left a bottle of gin sitting on the shelf! rt.

One additional suggestion, always lock the galley locks during transport. There have been instances in the past where galley doors have come open while out on the highway.

Hope that helps! Good luck and enjoy your new trailer!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited November 2018

@tagurit said:
    Our T@G has a torsion axle, I believe they all do, can't imagine how it would ride without a suspension.

I would beleive he was sarcastic. If not, one way or the other, he is not far from the truth.

The outback as a 2200 lbs axle. This is good for wheel bearing size, but to stif for a 1200lbs loaded trailer. Add to this that every thing loaded behind the axle get e leverage affect by the fulcrum point, then yep, it just gets worst.

I have a pic of how ai organized the under sink storage cabinet, but not with every thing loaded and stored in. Simce we are out camping, and the trailer suspension is really stif, we do not carry anything glass. Wine glass are acrylic plastic, coffe cup are aluminium insulated ones with a lid (keep coffee and hot chocolate warmer in cool morning. All the plates are acrylic plastic. Top this with the fact that all cooking pots and pan are piles with a dish cloth in between, same with the plats.

And we do not have any plastic bins, decided to make my own soft ruberized crate bag, cause to just do not bounce around or poke throu stuff when the shift around.

And yes, the cutting board as her own pouch and goes under the sink with other flat item, like foldable mixing boals and strainer.

Should have some of those pics in the post Le Refuge.

But we all have our way to go around that particularity of the T@G. I will be going with air bag suspension, if I get my parts, sometime before the end of spring.

Forgot about something. Do not carry fresh eggs w/o wrapping them in someting in the galley frigs. Or at least, put them in a container of a zip lock bag. :)

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

Yeah, we leave hard boiled eggs in their carton and get egg beaters for scrambled eggs.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• JmsJms Member Posts: 50

Thanks for the info and great advice everyone! I will definitely be packing better in the future. Glad we didn't have anything too critical in the back at the time. And I was thinking the same as Chaverim, egg beaters for breakfast!

We purchased a hard case container for eggs. You can buy them at most camping stores or sporting good stores. It works just fine. Haven't broken an egg in transit, ever.

@rich67 said:
    We purchased a hard case container for eggs. You can buy them at most camping stores or sporting good stores. It works just fine. Haven't broken an egg in transit, ever.

The thing with those container, is that I have never found them for large of extra large eggs.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@LuckyJ said:

@rich67 said:

The thing with those container, is that I have never found them for large of extra large eggs.

I'm with Lucky, I get farm eggs from the neighbor. They just won't fit! I cut my egg carton in half and 2 of them will fit nicely.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Those aren't chickens, they're ostriches.

• SparrowSparrow Member Posts: 19

I put a blanket down over everything before I start driving. I need the blanket and it acts as a buffer from all the joggling...

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

I bring along the chicken and have her lay eggs at the campsite. Very little breakage.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

@TomD said:
    I bring along the chicken and have her lay eggs at the campsite. Very little breakage.

Tied that before, but realized that the chicken was taking to much room in the fridg. Had to leave her at home. :(

;)

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We put eggs in a cooler in the tow vehicle. Things bounce around under the sink and in the Norcold cooler unless you pack them in. Don’t put eggs, coke cans or anything that doesn’t like to bounce unless you are sure they are packed in tight.

2017 T@G Max

We go the restaurant and have our eggs cooked and fresh, along with hot coffee and toast! LOL

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@Michigan_Mike said:
    We go the restaurant and have our eggs cooked and fresh, along with hot coffee and toast! LOL

My goal when camping is not to get in the car until time to go home...

2017 T@G Max

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Me too!

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

@mgreen2 said:

@Michigan_Mike said:

I have to agree with that, but we do have our ARB fridge in the car, better protection for the eggs. But when camping or on the move with the T@G, we really go to restaurant. One on the reason we love our T@G, is making a quick meal w/o getting in the trailer and making a mess. :)

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

Also be careful with what you put on the galley floor in front of the cabinetry...we had some water bottles (plastic jugs).... They actually rubbed some of the finish off the cabinetry....Elsie tothe rescue.. in .microwave is paper plates and oven mitts.....gripper on the countertop hold things in place for transit...

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I put felt pads on the side of my gas cans to protect the galley. I have a 5W and travel with two 1gal cans and two 1gal collapsible water jugs.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

edited December 2018

@mgreen2 said:

@Michigan_Mike said:

The above was stated in jest as we love getting up in the morning, making a pot of fresh coffee and looking out, seeing nature or sitting outside the trailer and taking in the smell and sounds (of nature) of a pine forest, watching the sun coming up over the mountains, etc. And on the flip side we do stop for breakfast occasionally after breaking camp and traveling to another destination if we get out early enough.

I’ve owned 5 of these trailers in the last 9 years (4 wide, 5 wide, Silvershadow, 320 T@B and now a T@B 400) and have traveled thousands of miles across the US and still enjoy remote campsites where you seem to own the landscape, no other campers are in the area and it is like the old west. Tough to beat and something that instills happiness with the solitude and privacy therein! =)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400