Options

Rack

What do you all think about adding a good sized rack to the stock rack bars? Pretty long, I had it on the 4 Runner. Just hanging on the wall in the garage now. Used in the old days when I thought I would need the Blue wonder for gray water.
The bride recently bought a Capella's clam type awning set, that in the bag is close to 50 pounds. It is 13.5 feet across with 5 panels all folded out, I think. Close to 6 feet in the bag. We have not been on the road with it yet. Just to big to stuff in the 4 Runner and I do not want to carry it in the trailer.
I have a pretty tidy set up in the car for the three camp chairs a couple tables, cooler, camp stoves, tools etc. I'm thinking with the side awning and a couple other yet to be determined goodies I might go for 150-200 lbs. We have the 2017 6' wide highway edition. Kind of wordy here, sorry.

Gig Harbor Tom
Trl '17 T@G Max
TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

Comments

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140
    edited June 2020

I already had this rack ($50) at Harbor Freight. Took the center bar out and replaced with pvc pipe segments as spacers, and adder 2 eye bolts on each of the 4 sides of the rack for bungie attach points. Put it on our T@G/Yakima rack on driver side (ARB canopy on the other). Use it to haul outdoor rug, 2 empty water bricks, 2 folding chairs. Could hold more, just haven't yet. Like it, but it is too high to easily access. I always carry a 10 gal paint bucket for camp toilet in our "phone booth" sized shower tent, so I just stand on it to load/unload. More weight, more drag, worse mpg...I don't care...didn't buy camper to save gas.

2014 T@G

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

HellFish - Neat idea. Like the narrow compactness. Just wondering about weight aerodynamics and such. etc. for my wide cowcatcher . Another subject-while out scouting sites for nearby camping, followed in to one of the state parks a narrow off road T@G pulled by a jeep following and with a good sized Airstream. Some people know how to live.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Loaned my roof rack to the kids. Having a heck of a time getting it back.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Great repurposing #HellFish . I added a Yakima Skinny Warrior to my trailer. I have three folding tables and two chairs in mine. And you are most correct, very high. I carry a small folding platform so I can load/unload the thing but totally worth it to me.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe