Newbie needs help w/hitch configuration for Subaru Outback

LTonLTon Member Posts: 2

I'm renting a 2020 Tag XL tomorrow to try before buying. Dealer said I need the distance from ground to top of hitch ball to be 21". My 2015 Outback had a dealer installed 1 1/4 receiver. I'm having problems finding a rise enough to meet the 21". I know folks tow with Outbacks and just wondering what their specific configuration is and where I can buy it. I've checked the towing sections in Lowe's and Home Depot and couldn't find what I thought would work. I'm a complete newbie at this so pardon my misuse of terms, etc. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

I think the TaGs require a 2” ball and 2” receiver. Can anyone confirm this?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2020

You could perhaps get a hitch adapter to go from the 1 1/4" hitch receiver to a 2" hitch receiver, and then you will have more options for a hitch riser. I use a 8" hitch riser with my Subaru Forester and it is almost perfectly level. But it is really important to note that if you use a 1 1/4" to 2" hitch adapter that it will reduce your hitch capacity by 50%. So if your tongue weight and trailer weight are still within that range then that is an option.

You do need a 2" ball for the Tag, but I don't know if you can put on a 2" ball on a ball mount for a 1 1/4" receiver.

I recommend calling customer service at etrailer.com and explaining your situation and what hitch rise you need. They are really great at finding the right product, and I learned a lot from talking with them about hitches and towing safely. They are awesome and will point you in the right direction.

Here is a link to the 1 1/4" to 2" hitch adapter for reference: https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70032-inches-Hitch-Adaptor/dp/B008CE09N4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2GW3XVQ0VYZMJ&dchild=1&keywords=1+1/4+inch+to+2+inch+hitch+adapter&qid=1598617495&s=automotive&sprefix=1+1/4,automotive,160&sr=1-5

And the 8" rise I use with my Forester: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M308K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• LTonLTon Member Posts: 2

Thank you. Very helpful. We have a 1 1/4" to 2" receiver for our bike rack. But when we went to find a ball mount for it, they were massive and rated for towing 5,000 lbs. Seemed like overkill for towing a Tag and for a vehicle that can only tow 2700 max - and I was worried about hitch weight - even though I don't fully understand how all of that works yet. Seems the biggest problem is finding a ball mount for a 1 1/4" receiver that has a 5" rise? I appreciate your response and I will check out the links you provided including talking to the folks at etrailer. Thanks again.

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2020

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    I think the TaGs require a 2” ball and 2” receiver. Can anyone confirm this?

2" ball, but a 1 1/4" receiver works just fine. I tow with my factory installed 1 1/4" receiver just fine. You may want to check with your local uHaul store. That's where I got the right attachment for my hitch. But I have nowhere near a 21" height. Is this a boondock version you are renting? I have only a 1" rise from my hitch to tow my non-Boondock T@G with my 2012 Outback.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 109

Like Sue, I also run a 2" ball into a 1 1/4" receiver. Seems like I read somewhere once that a 16" height is recommended.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

16" is for non boondock version.

• rasras Member Posts: 173

I made my hitch decision based on the bubble level on my T@G and measurements made with a rule. My 2016 T@G is about 14-1/2 inches off the ground in front of the tires when level. Since I want a positive tongue weight, I needed to make sure that measurement was less than 14-1/2 when the trailer was hooked to our Outback. Chose a drop hitch that reduced that 14-1/2 in measurement to a smidge under 14. The Subaru towing kit installed by the dealer has a 1-1/4 receiver and is rated at 2700 lbs. No possibility of exceeding that with our teardrop. I did have to install a 7 pin connector (dealer wouldn't) which meant connecting the existing 4 pin plug and adding a 40 A fused battery connection to charge the trailer battery while driving. Didn't bother with the brake connection since no brakes on our T@G.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• rasras Member Posts: 173

BTW, the difference between balls intended for a 2" receiver and a 1-1/4" receiver is simply the size of the bolt connecting the ball to the receiver. 1" shank for 2 " receivers and and 3/4" shank for 1-1/4..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 109

@JamesDow said:
    16" is for non boondock version.

That's what the OP was inquiring about.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R