Camping security

tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

I've seen quite a few posts on other sites about locking up your trailer, everything from logging chains to clamshell wheel locks. I am downsizing from a truck camper and really have never had any security issues. Is it a big concern that someone will hook up our T@G at a public campground and drive away? I have a good coupler lock I use with our boat and horse trailers, do I need more than that?

Comments

• ericmoorecoericmooreco Member Posts: 46

Mandy Lea is the first one that I recall having a stolen t@g. Then soon after there was a stolen t@b. These cases were about two years ago. I believe most these cases were people having their camper in storage. I doubt if your setup in a public campground that someone is going to mess with it. I have both wheel lock and hitch locks, purchased back when this was going on. There are many topics on this over on the LG forum.

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs

• StellaMarisStellaMaris Member Posts: 26

@ericmooreco said:
    Mandy Lea is the first one that I recall having a stolen t@g. Then soon after there was a stolen t@b. These cases were about two years ago. I believe most these cases were people having their camper in storage. I doubt if your setup in a public campground that someone is going to mess with it. I have both wheel lock and hitch locks, purchased back when this was going on. There are many topics on this over on the LG forum.

Agreed, Eric. With a couple of locks on my camper too, I've never really worried about it much. I have a lock on the hitch, and also one on the wheels. If I'm off hiking, I park my TV in front of it, and if I do drive somewhere, I make sure that the locks are very conspicuous. Most of my camping is done in state parks, and park rangers are everywhere too.

Kim
    "StellaM@ris", 2017 T@G Max XL
    2020 Ford Escape SEL Ecoboost and 2003 Explorer XLT
    Tyke, Buckshot, and Bonnie (the 4-legged children)

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

Tongue and wheel locks keep honest people honest. These trailers are eye candy to those who cannot afford to buy one and think about how easy it would be for a person to drive up, hook on and drive away.

I put my stabilizers down and use both a tongue lock and wheel boot lock to secure my T@B when it's parked in my driveway. "Out of sight and out of mind" also works too if you have the ability to park the trailer in a location where others cannot see it.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• vancetag2021vancetag2021 Member Posts: 3

What size of the trimax wheel lock would you need for a T@G XL tire? I can see 2 different sizes a TCL65 and TCL75 but they don't use inch measurements for tire sizing. Thanks!

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I have a tongue lock, coupler lock and wheel boot. The last several times I have been out I left the trailer hooked up to my TV as we didn't have plans to drive anywhere. Basically, buy as much stuff as will make you comfortable then relax.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• jackmbernsteinjackmbernstein Member Posts: 27

I have a Trimax TCL65 on a standard T@G. It doesn’t quite grip the tire but goes through the hub caps.No one is driving off with it.

2021 T@G named Amelia Pond
    2020 Mazda CX-5
    Englewood, OH

• BlueTAGBlueTAG Member Posts: 21

We have a T@G that we travel with and always put lock hitch pin and sometimes put my Reese ball lock on. We leave the T@G at the campground when exploring. I also carry the wheel lock but only use that so far when in storage. Most thiefs when they see the locks will move on. Just be safe and use at least one lock.
    PS:I also keep the lock pin on when traveling.

• daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Some folks will pivot their unhooked T@G 180 degrees so that their tongue is facing away from the tow vehicle to add one layer of deterrence.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• ClarkGriswoldClarkGriswold Member Posts: 34

We do the hitch pin lock as well. I strongly recommend using the hitch lock pin when connected to the TV. I have heard (anecdotally) as many stories of trailer theft when connected during a rest stop as I have from a campground. The ball lock we have doesn't fit all that well and is more of a visual deterrent and could likely be defeated with a quick pry due to the shape of the trailer hitch.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about theft on the road. In camp, I have the awning deployed and crap hanging off of it... It looks like more trouble than its worth to an instant gratification trailer thief. My concerns in camp are usually related to my individual things walking away but I've been lucky in that regard having only lost a few beers and no gear.

2019 T@G 5W Boondock Edge
    2008 M-B G500
    Somewhere in the PNW

"Why aren't we flying? Because getting there is half the fun. You know that."

Good advice Clark. Thank you.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

We have a wheel lock we use while in the CG. If we are on foot I simply park the tow vehicle right in front of the trailer to make it less appealing. I would be more concerned with someone breaking INTO the trailer, so I just keep all my valuables out of sight and all the shades drawn tight when I leave it.

• rasras Member Posts: 173

Don't just rely on a hitch lock or a ball lock unless you secure the trailer chains with a lock too. I had a utility trailer stolen using a high bodied 4 wheel truck. The trailer had a heavy duty ball lock on it and a hitch lock. They just hooked the chains to the truck bumper and towed it away.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

Hi Ras, do you use a padlock and lock your chains together to the tongue?

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• rasras Member Posts: 173

I lock them together wrapped around the tongue but back away from the hitch. Doesn't prevent someone with their own chain from picking it up and towing it away but at least they can't use mine. Just recently bought a wheel boot from etrailer and I'm going to start using that too.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

Thank you Ras.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited September 2020

One other tip.... Inasmuch as there are great suggestions above, there are people who will go to great lengths and trouble to get something you enjoy and that they cannot afford. With that said, along with wheel boots, clubs, locking down trailer tongues, etc. an additional deterrent is to deploy the trailer stabilizers. If the stabilizers are down it makes it more difficult and it requires additional time to get them up. Most crooks want to back in, hook up and drive off. Irregardless, if somebody wants your valuables they will go to great lengths to obtain what you have.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• dpyo4812dpyo4812 Member Posts: 15

@vancetag2021 said:
    What size of the trimax wheel lock would you need for a T@G XL tire? I can see 2 different sizes a TCL65 and TCL75 but they don't use inch measurements for tire sizing. Thanks!

I have Tag xl outback 2018 with wide tires I tried the TCL65 just not big enough went to the 75 to get those inside the wheel more.

David

• Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

I have a clamshell for my wheels and a ball lock. I also lower stabilizers. If someone is absolutely determined to get it, they will. I just try to make the other guy’s rig look a little more appealing than mine.

I was employed in the criminal justice system for 28 years. I’ve dealt with every type of criminal in America. Most of the thieves and burglars I came across were not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Most have a meth or heroin habit they are trying to support. They tend to be void of motivation and avoid anything that requires skill or hard work. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

The bottom line is do what you can to discourage theft, enjoy your time in the outdoors and have insurance.

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2021

You can drill a few holes and use some kinda long shank lock to prevent the riggers from being raised.

That and a coupler lock might be distasteful.

Luckily because of who I am, wherever I am is considered by the US Government to be a National Security Area within 100 yards of me is defensible by deadly force, even on private property.

I’m also judgement proof concerning law suits.

Its a win-win !