T@G XL -- lack of an alcove like in a tent for getting shoes on and off problematic in bad weather?

We tent camp a lot and were looking to get an XL, but I'm wondering about the logistics of getting in and out in inclement weather. In a tent you can sit down with your butt in the tent and leave your shoes in the alcove (between the tent and the rainfly). Since the XL is all bed, how does it work in that situation? Where do your shoes go?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622
    edited November 2020

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Eyebrow awning. Light, sets up in under a minute with no ground stakes and is impervious to wind. Costs around $150 bucks to make...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Back in August of 2019 I played around with a $25 quick awning solution.
    Goal: Easy to setup, hold up in the strong wind and not require any tools or new holes into the trailer.
    I am planning to go out to Carlsbad State Beach in around two hours. It is scheduled to rain for around another 8 hours.
    I am planning to set it up again at that location using suction cups and two ground polls.
    Initially for the rain, but the next two sunny days, it will provide shade if needed.
    Below is a link.

teardrop-trailers.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/791/awning

I am amazed at how well these suction cups performed.

Sure I would like a better awning solution (e.g. Eyebrow awning) that would cost the same, folds up small, require no construction and weigh next to nothing, but until then this works for me.
    I feel the need is typically less than 15% of the time.

• monolithmonolith Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the suggestions. The eyebrow awning William suggested looks like a decent solution -- where did you buy that? Any chance you could record a quick vid of how it goes together? Does it stow on the trailer, or do you have to store it separately?

What does everyone typically do with their shoes? Just leave them on the ground outside the door?

I wonder if someone could fab up a little shoe rack for the top of the fender on one side, so you could slide your shoes in and keep them mostly out of the weather, without having to bring them inside.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2021

Monolith,

I built the awning myself. It packs down into a small (24"X6") bag that stores under my pillow in the trailer. Here's a link:

I set my shoes on the fender under the awning.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• PwsailorPwsailor Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

The shoe solution which works best for us is waterproof dry bags. Take the shoes off while sitting in the door and stuff them in the bag, then hang the bag on the cabinet handle above the foot of the bed. This keeps any shoe dirt from getting into your bedding.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

This is what we do with shoes.

@LuckyJ said:
    Ok, theses are not considered up-grades or modification, but could be seen as conveniences.

We are not ones who like to have a side tent, maybe an awning when necessary or a seperate shelter. So I can up with shoe bags that are place just under the door sill on both side. So we do not have to bring shoes inside the T@G and yet we can protect them from criters and weather. When traveling, I si,ply flip them inside under the matress. Material is recycled from the ski resort where I patrol and are from thorn-up chair-lift tower safety cushion.

So here are the shoe bags.

• JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2021

So many ways to do it. We have the 5x7 PahaQue also but...

You can have a welder rig up a plate to a 2” receiver hitch that would mount to your frame between the door and fender, slide a flagpole holder in then drop a patio umbrella in it. I cut my pole to where it would sit a little above the top vent. You have to open the umbrella before you slide it in.

Open door, sit booty down, take shoes off and put shoes on fender, roll backwards, close the door.

I’ve played with the umbrella setup in different locations now I have an extra receiver on my truck and the umbrella is setup because I cook on the back of the truck. Since the fender/step job I did I forgot all about it so I gotta figure that out again. I might have them weld a small piece of hitch tube to our rear fender brace.

You can also mount the hitch receiver and flag pole mount to the tongue with a bit of thought. If you can find someone crafty with metal stuff you won’t have to buy store bought parts, just tell them what you want and buy an unbrella.

• Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

I have the 10x10 side tent from Pahaque but I have never used it. I found it too difficult to set up and the poles are far too wimpy. It has sat unused. I ought to sell it. Now I have a super-fast 6 sided pop-up tent that doesn’t attach but sits next to the trailer door. I have wind panels for the sides to give privacy and it gives me space to stand up while I dress, and space for a portable toilet. And shoes. (Without the tent I leave my shoes on a doormat or on the fender.)
    Gerald

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

@Gerald98053 said:
    I have the 10x10 side tent from Pahaque but I have never used it. I found it too difficult to set up and the poles are far too wimpy. It has sat unused. I ought to sell it. Now I have a super-fast 6 sided pop-up tent that doesn’t attach but sits next to the trailer door. I have wind panels for the sides to give privacy and it gives me space to stand up while I dress, and space for a portable toilet. And shoes. (Without the tent I leave my shoes on a doormat or on the fender.)
    Gerald

Is it a Gazelle Pop-up? I've been eying them.......

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

It is a Clam Escape 12x12. Very similar to Gazelle, I think.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I have the Clam 6 x 6. I have the optional wind screens for all sides.
    I have the 6x6 because when folded the other larger sizes were too large (long) to easily fit in my tow vehicle (2012 Toyota Rav4).
    For two people the 6x6 is a good size and has a smaller footprint at the campsite.
    The most use I have gotten from it is to escape from bugs and to sit in in colder windy weather.
    The Clam really does set-up in less than 90 seconds. It also does very well in the wind.
    I actually have two of them.
    I wish they had multiple entrances, but if I was expecting rain for a number of days, I would extend an awning from the tag to the Clam. I have seen a company that will modify the Clam and add a second entrance.

• robteroyrobteroy Member Posts: 1

I'm just using a large white tarp and 6 polls. I waned cover over both doors and have a larger covered area for the galley. Not just for rain, to keep the sun off the trailer on hot days. Bungees on ropes staked at 6 points. About 15 min, to set up. Not pretty, but if you can get the stakes in good enough it can withstand high winds.