Options

Finally found a bike setup that works!

rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164
edited August 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

So after trying a bunch of different setups to haul my mountain bikes around, I finally go the setup I think I will be sticking with from this moment forward. I tried using the Jack-It for the bikes, but found because I had a 29er and two large frame bikes, a lot of times they were rubbing and damaging the forks, etc. during transit. I also wanted a solution to haul kayaks at the same time as the bikes. Now, I know I have a roof rack for the T@g, but I added a Thule rack to the hard top of my Jeep, so I could easily haul two kayaks on there, then still have the MTB's on the whole setup.

(Edited for photo size.)

So using a Swagman RV approved bike carrier (holds the bikes by the tires, which I prefer) with an extension tube, I managed to keep the whole thing away from my trailer jack and holds the bikes firmly without worry. Not to mention I can disconnect the trailer at the campsite and still have my bikes with me to go to the trailhead without any moving around. The Jackit was stuck to the trailer...not much good if you needed to drive to a riding point. I tried this setup the other week with the kayaks and the bikes, and it worked out perfectly. The only issue is lack of access to the rear hatch; I have to load everything through the backseat. No big deal; I have my Hi-Lift mounted back there anyway, and it interferes with loading regardless.

Comments