Options

available water from 11 gallon tank on T@g xl

I read on another forum about the fact that the design and location of the water pump supply from the tank, prevents full usage of water volume. The exit side of the water tank through the pump is pretty high in the tank leaving most of the water un obtainable. If that is true, why could we not attach a line inside the tank at the fitting for the pump out take. That line could extend further down into the tank. What do you think?
Tabnero

Comments

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

That sounds like a reasonable fix to me.
    I havent seen how it is all connected, but I'm sure there would be a way to get this done.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

When draining your tank, you can raise the trailer's tongue to tilt the remaining water toward the outlet and get almost all of it. I don't know how much water is unobtainable when the trailer is level, but my guess is it's a half gallon or less.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    TMCTMC Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017

Draining the tank isn't the issue. It is that the water pump sucks air long before the tank is empty. This effectively gives us a 6 gallon tank rather than an 11 gallon. I was also thinking of putting a feeder tube into the tank at the outlet point, but am not sure what fittings I would need to get to make this happen.

Tim & Heather
    2018 T@G Outback
    2016 Jeep Renegade

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 9

at TMC, yup that is it exactly. Maybe some one at the factory knows how we should do this

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Must be a lot higher on the '18 than on the '17. As I said, on a level '17, there may be only a half gallon below the outlet. Can't imagine why they would design it to make only half the tank available.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    BrianBrian Member Posts: 26

We have a 2017 XL and the tank outlet is high enough that we can only pull about 2/3 of the water in the tank before the pump starts sucking air. @TMC, I like your idea of adding a feeder tube inside the tank and may have to investigate how to do that.

Brian & Lisa
    North Georgia
    2017 T@G Max XL / 2011 Kia Sorento

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I agree, if you think only 1 gallons remains when level, you need to test it out by raising and tilting the trailer. You will be surprised. I have a 2017. And the water tank is long and flat. So with the hole even 1" fron the bottom, it will suck air very quicly and before reaching the bottom of the pick up hose by siphoning effect.

I realy like the idea, i think a flexible tube with a smal weight (stainless of coors) could make it better. I will look into this later this winter. For now, I would have to kneel on ice and snow to work on this and if I need glue, it will never work.

Thank yoy for the idea and I will follow this for suggestions.

• Options
    MccrusnMccrusn Member Posts: 26

I have noticed this on the drawings/pictures... and I have to say, from an engineering viewpoint it is beyond me why the tank wouldn't be designed and built
    to drain out to the very last DROP... talk about an easy fix to make the entire tanks capacity available...and to make winterizing it all the more easier.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@Mccrusn yeap, I agree,

but at the same time, available space would have had ti be organized different'y. I kind of like the fact that tye T@G as no pipe outside of under the floor.

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@LuckyJ @Brian @Tabhunter @TMC were any of you able to resolve this issue? If so, could you provide some insight and perhaps photos? It's a major problem for us in our 2018 Boondock. The manual for the pump states that it should drain the reservoir completely, but that's clearly not the case and we've already exhausted the troubleshooting suggestions.

• Options
    edited January 2020

To ElPhoenix (maybe some others?) The question of getting out all 11 gallons of water from your tank was a big frustration for me also. You will notice I commented on this very thing (above in January 2018) We have a 2018 T@G 6 wide... and the fix is in the link below (credit to WilliamA). I followed the instructions and for about $5 and an hour of my time I was able to get mine to draw out all of my 11 gallons (oh maybe not the last pint...but very close!) Everyone agrees that we shouldn't have to do this and my understanding is that current models finally resolved this problem...but if you have one of the models that have the pick up tube about 1/3 of the way up the side of your tank... this link has good pictures with instructions and it is the fix. Note: be sure to go all the way up to the top of the link.... and start at the beginning. I just checked the link again to be sure.

http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/159/getting-all-the-water-out-of-the-water-tank#latest

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@Mccrusn as the owner of a 2020 model I can assure you that current models are no different. I can only get 2/3 of the tank, if I crank the tongue up I can get about 90%. So maybe this is an improvement, but it would be nice to be able to get that result with everything level.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    TMCTMC Member Posts: 2

ELPhoenix I solved the problem by trading the T@G in for a T@B 😁

Tim & Heather
    2018 T@G Outback
    2016 Jeep Renegade

• Options

DaveB... I hate to hear that STILL the 2020 model isn't right either??? The "fix" for me was WilliamA's fix. I did it and now with the trailer tilted up in front ... just a bit... I can drain it darn close to dry... but a simple thing like this shouldn't be... and if the designers at NuCamp would actually get out and CAMP/USE their trailers... I would think this would get fixed immediately. They have proven to be good listeners to their customers for the most part. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet?

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@Mccrusn once spring gets here I plan on digging a little deeper into a fix. It seems as though the NuCamp 'fix' was to adjust the specs, which states it has 8 gal fresh water. With an 11 gal tank that means you can use around 72% of its volume, pretty close to what I generally get. Like I said though if I crank the front up I can almost empty it, so its not too bad. I really wish that they had kept the fridge instead of going the Yeti route, this is the one area that they have really gone backwards with.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options

DaveB .... did you see my link above. It wasn't my idea... but it works great and for maybe $5 and less than an hour. Problem solved

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@DaveB and @Mccrusn I was able to complete this fix very easily and in the rain. It's a tremendous impact on our tow weight and overall boondocking. This forum is the best thing since sliced bread! The only issue I had was having to buy 10' of hose to use a couple inches, but perhaps I'll find use later.

• Options

ElPhoenix I hate to hear that you had to buy that hose... I still have 9' 6" of mine left over after my repair! :-)