Options

Must have

I will be getting my camper next week and I am curious to get everyone’s opinion. What is everyone’s top 3 mods they have done? Is there anything that everyone is universally doing? Just doing some homework before delivery. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Depends on what year yours is. My top 3 are hinges on the underbed storage, mud flap mod to make the license swing freely, and a wind screen for the stove. But some of that may be unnecessary with newer models--mine is a 2015.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited February 2018

I do not have a top 3, but here are some that I really like.

2017 T@G Outback

Like mentionned, the hinges on the floor boards
    The modified hitch and tongue jack lift and relocation
    The window screen upgrade for no see um
    The wind screen fot the stove
    The shelves under the sink
    The liscence plate relocation
    The usb charger near the head board with battery charge indicator
    The fantastic fan speed reduction that I am curently working on.
    The coat hangner inside near between the door and the window on each side that are ancored in the aluminium wall frame.
    The shoe bags under the doors on each side
    The spare tire relocation bracket just behing the right fender.
    Hitch receiver in the back from the tongue mod as recovery point or bike support.
    Back up light on trailer rear bumper.

To come,
    Behind TV storage
    Head bed storage mod, to make it more usefull, with hinge doors. ( do not like the sliding panel of the new T@G and what is actualy there is useless cause have to empty the too board every time you need something).
    Removal or fridge (we already have an ARB frigde in TV) and replace with a wood box as dry food storage and prep area on original fridge slides. Possible to go back and forth between fridge and box.

I like them all, so I do not have a top 3

• Options
    mclayborn79mclayborn79 Member Posts: 2

Great suggestions. Mine will be a 2018 so I think they changed a few of these things already.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Ah...one more. A cover for the Fantastic Fan so you can have it open and running in the rain without any water coming in.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
    LightningdonLightningdon Member Posts: 110

Best mod for me is dual 6V golf cart battery conversion. Next would be the "Mandy Cabinet" upgrade. Next would be microwave removal. Currently working on adding a flexible solar panel. Hope to have that mod ready in a few weeks.

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited February 2018

6 Volt Batteries and a side piped Gray water line.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@LuckyJ did you add the hinge doors to the storage behind the bed head rests? We had the same thought, but hadn't seen anyone else try this. We've been looking for options to use as the doors. The sliding doors are terribly ineffective and inefficient.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Mine is a 2019, so my favorites are:
    1. Replaced dealer 65ah battery with a Trojan 100ah
    2. Galley Wing Walls - https://www.teardropgalleywingwalls.com/
    3. Gas Prop Shock for my front utility box (Newer models come with this now)

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

If I must pick three -
    Real lockable front tongue box.
    Switched out propane to legally refillable 1 lb bottles used under the stove.
    High mount combination third brake/turn signal/marker light.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

More time to camp.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@ElPhoenix said:
    @LuckyJ did you add the hinge doors to the storage behind the bed head rests? We had the same thought, but hadn't seen anyone else try this. We've been looking for options to use as the doors. The sliding doors are terribly ineffective and inefficient.

The 2018 was the first year with the sliding doors on the side. Earlier models had the top open as one piece. I showed a mod to cut that top door into two or three pieces and put separate hinges on it to open into the area you need. Works great.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    HerdHerd Member Posts: 35

Taped up the back of the ac box and added a second exhaust fan to improve the AC performance.

• Options
    ElPhoenixElPhoenix Member Posts: 40

@mgreen2 thank you! That clears it up. I didn't realize we had the first year of sliding doors. We actually hate them and are looking to replace them with something similar to what you've done, but on the front of the headboard instead of the top.

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

The sliding doors are ok in the sense you can access the headboard storage without having to move everything sitting on top. I believe this was a Mandy Lee suggestion. However, my pillows lean against the sliding doors, making the doors difficult to open. I have things in there I don't need often like board games and extra blankets. I did put two puck lights inside the storage area. Now I can better see the things I don't use often.

I almost think it would be better to have no headboard at times. But, I do need somewhere to sit my drink and mobile phone.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

I like the top opening much more than the side. We stuff all kinds of things inside it and with the separate doors from top can access easily

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Nice!

I balanced (organized) my checkbook once. Just wanted to see what it was like...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229
    1. Dual 6v battery replacement for crumby dealer car battery.
    2. Maxxfan Deluxe ceiling fan replacement instead of Fantastic Fan and fan cover.
    3. Either the undercabinet shelves or the Camco winterizing kit.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay