Options

T@G XL Modifications - Long list, nearly done!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    HitechHitech Member Posts: 36

Thank you. I love building and modifying stuff, and clearly have a lot of time on my hands these days. Just need the pandemic to go away so I can start using this rig!

T@G XL
    2017 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock

• Options
    MitchellDorfMitchellDorf Member Posts: 3

Great stuff! I plan to dive in to the cabinetry an do some electrical work myself once winter is over.

Can you share some information on the rear hitch, maybe photo of underneath? I really want this and I will be having some welding done so perhaps I can have them get that done.

Thank you!

• Options

Sorry. Haven’t been on in a while. Here are a few pics. Basically I created a T and welded a separate receiver tube through the bumper. The reason it’s not one solid piece is it wouldn’t be straight. The receive part is welded at a slight angle. I also found putting a carriage bolt through the floor by the rear cabinets, through to the frame made it more solid. That rear frame isn’t connected to much otherwise.

T@G XL

• Options

New edition in the works. Bought a 33 gallon water tank and mounting it just above the axle. Plan to plumb it to the water intake just a foot over so the camper pump will push water to my propane shower. Don’t plan to haul it full of water cause I like keeping the weight down. Easy enough to fill up near a destination. Tank is T shaped (found on RecPro.com) Simple 3/4 square tube bolted to frame will hold it in place. Tank clears the axle perfectly!

T@G XL

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Very nice job! Puts the weight exactly where it should be as well. Are you running both tanks?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

I will run both yes. Planning on a 2 way valve down by the intake so I can pick which one get drawn from when pumping. My thinking there is the built in tank is higher and would always drain down to the under frame tank. I really want that just for showers and would rather the other keep a supply of water to be used at kitchen for filling coffee pot and cooking.

T@G XL

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I like the idea! In my case, location as is is not an option anymore since I have the backbone of the frame now in that location from the front to back.

• Options

Did you add some type of additional frame support? My tank is just above the axle. I did install an axle lift so I probably have some additional clearance that a stock trailer doesn’t. The overall tank is 7 1/2 deep.

T@G XL

• Options

@Hitech said:
    Did you add some type of additional frame support? My tank is just above the axle. I did install an axle lift so I probably have some additional clearance that a stock trailer doesn’t. The overall tank is 7 1/2 deep.

If this is for me, here are some pics. Might be easier to understand. The 2" itch tube goes through each cross member and is welded to them but the rear where it is under the bumper and bolted to it with a 20 inch flat bar.. To me, having it like that in tge back was a protection to the bumper and help protecting tge corner as well, since that could draga all day long. 😊

• Options
    edited April 2021

Plumbed the new tank. Small ball valve allows me to control which tank the pump draws from. Connected my $100 propane on demand shower and it works fantastic! Put the fill line for this tank at the rear bumper as I didn’t want to drill another large whole in the floor and try and T in to existing fill line. Nor could I figure out how that would work as it wouldn’t fill both tanks on 1 line very well. I did T into the fill vent line under the sink. Rear bumper is slightly higher than tank. Fill location has a back flow check valve in it so the water won’t push out while accelerating or going up a hill.

Photo size reduced. Please reduce your photo size before posting. https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/65/please-re-size-all-photos-uploaded-to-the-forum#latest

T@G XL

• Options

Nice.

Curious, what is that bungee/rope around your stabelizer leg??

• Options

Just holding a tarp over my cover.

T@G XL

• Options
    MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23

I love the water tank! Wife likes long showers, can you tell us where you sourced it?

• Options

I am all about a shower as well. Here’s the tank I bought. With 3/4 square steel bar (Home Depot) placed on top of the frame it sits flush with the underside, and an inch above my axle. I do however have a 3 inch axle lift so be sure to measure yours before ordering this specific tank.

T@G XL

• Options

Ok, last modification on my long list. Turned the “Not a Step” fenders into a needed step. Having added the actual steps to each end of the fender I originally bolted the aluminum fender to my new side steps. Made it pretty rigid, but it would bend if I put my full weight on it. Bought a piece of flat bar at Lowe’s. Bent it to the fender shape and bolted it through my side steps. Now it can take my full weight!

T@G XL

• Options
    Ponch0069Ponch0069 Member Posts: 6

Hello. I’m removing my A/C unit from 2019 T@G. After my last off road trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon the A/C support screws snapped and dislodged. There was a lot of dust from the road inside the camper and especially underneath the A/C unit area. Is there a vent I will need to cover up to prevent dust coming inside my camper after I remove the A/C unit? Thx David

• Options

Yes. There is a vent on the floor behind it and the 2 cup vents on either side of the outside of camper meant as intake. I cut a piece of insulated foam with the foil backing and put it over each one with silicone glue. Sealed it right up. That’s when I realized how much wasted space there was in that wall and carefully cut several storage openings. Required a little wire rerouting and gluing in some sides for each. Where the AC was became a large storage. Ordered a pre-fit door from NuCamp.

T@G XL

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

You can access the floor vent from under the back of the trailer (where the galley is). Seems you could remove the vent cover and seal with solid covering of your choice.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options

Thank you guys for all the help. Vents plugged and no dust on my last outing. I had to replace the wood fridge platform. Slide screws stripped from the wood. I think Nucamp needs to drop the “Boondock” name. It’s very misleading. It’s not made for being off paved roads.

• Options

Boondock does not mean off road, but off grid. Like outbacb does not mean off road either, but out in nowhere, not out in tge middle of no road.

Wash board road condition can be hard on anything, specially on a trailer with a short travel hard suspension. You need to slow down ans could also redure tire pressure when on those type of road. But you will need to air up when you reach black top.

• Options

Ok we’ll to get to off grid or out in the middle of nowhere you have to travel on forest roads. I always air down when I travel on unpaved roads. My last trip I traveled 90 miles of forest roads and it took me 4 1/2 hours. Boondocking means different things to different people and IMO the “Boondock” name is misleading. Don’t get me wrong. I like my T@G but when I bought it I should of done a little more research. At the time I couldn’t find much on the internet except dealership advertising them. I wouldn’t recommend T@G’s to anyone wanting to take it off road. Only if You plan and camping at RV parks.

• Options

@Ponch0069 to take 8t off road, I absolutely agree with you. You have absolutely no corner and undercariage protection that would allow you to drag the corner 9n rock and on the ground in order to pass obstacle. Plus, no anchor point form company and unless you reinforce the frame like I did, no location to place any of those anchors.

And the suspension is still in the stiff side.

As for info this forum as got subjects about this from the start. Since 2017 if you search the previous nucamp and plaisant valley and little guy forums.

😉

• Options
    QuotaQuota Member Posts: 1

@Ponch0069 How did you build that fridge tray? Did you find something off the shelf that fit or did you fabricate it?

• Options

That red frig tray is not my post. My T@G has a similar tray from the factory, but it’s not metal like that pic. Slides out and locks the same.

T@G XL